Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dungeons and Dragons and other RPG's

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
    An ex-boyfriend of mine was into D&D. He tried to get me involved but I wasn't fussed, except for the black pudding ooze! That sounds like my kind of creature! Do you think I could get one as a pet?
    but you would eat that creature not have it as a pet.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

check these cutscenes palazzo.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hngJmIXJIuE
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O60GygEZP14

Comment

The Zelda games on the N64 ruined me for other video games
        Seriously.
        I rarely play games anymore (one or two a year, if that), as they just can't compare to Majoras Mask.
        "RPG" is misleading, as they are stop/start, whereas these Zelda games were action games as well as containing puzzles.
        It is very hard to find games with that perfect mix of story, character, atmosphere, puzzle and action.
        I chucked out my dusty old 64 a few months ago as I will never play those games again.(should've put it on e-bay, but didn't care at the time.)

Comment

Originally posted by Flash Gordon View Post
          The Zelda games on the N64 ruined me for other video games
          Seriously.
          I rarely play games anymore (one or two a year, if that), as they just can't compare to Majoras Mask.
          "RPG" is misleading, as they are stop/start, whereas these Zelda games were action games as well as containing puzzles.
          It is very hard to find games with that perfect mix of story, character, atmosphere, puzzle and action.
          I chucked out my dusty old 64 a few months ago as I will never play those games again.(should've put it on e-bay, but didn't care at the time.)

id have bought the 64 and the games if id known.
          the older get the more i love these old consoles and games.
          how did oot one of the great all times games ruin you for other games.

oot is a masterpiece with great levels,cutscenes,music,puzzles etc.
          an rpg in my book mate.

Comment

Because no other games were anything like as good!!
            And RPGs usually involve a "combat system" with mages/warriors etc taking turns. Losts of Stats/Points ect.
            In the 64 Zelda games you got straight in with your sword!
            It's very hard to find a action/adventure games these days. It's all shoot-em-ups and driving (boring).

Comment

There's quite a rennaisance for old school D&D (and other rule sets from the '70s) where you're free to make more stuff up, rather than have everything in a rule book. I love the old illos you'd get in books like the AD&D Monster Manual. Ropey pen and ink pics by today's standards but so much more character.

I'm a big Zelda fan, too. Played 'em all from the NES, through the SNES, GB and N64 versions right up Twilight Princess. I don't see them as RPGs (that's just a term that's come over with how the Japanese mags label them) but for action adventures there nothing to touch them. I worked on an N64 mag when Ocarina came out and went over to Nintendo in Germany to play it early in a 'living museum' where Miyamoto, apparently got the idea for the look of a lot of the buildings. Good fun.

Comment

Played D&D for about 3-4 years in the mid-eighties until the gang split up and went to University or got jobs. I think this was just before the time that AD&D was revised and started to get very complex and difficult to understand. Didn't really play any other RPG's apart from Talisman. Got back into RPG's when they started computerising them, like Baldors Gate and Icewind Dale.

Used to play Zelda on the SNES for hours at a time, would look at the time and find it was 2or 3 in the morning!!

Comment

Enjoyed those last two clips there Darren, it's funny how the slightest sound effect from the Zelda games really brings back the memories, particularly with Ocarina of Time. Whether it's Link swinging the Master Sword around, opening a chest or even just clicking onto the next piece of dialogue, it really does bring it all back.

Comment

Originally posted by Palazzo View Post
                    Enjoyed those last two clips there Darren, it's funny how the slightest sound effect from the Zelda games really brings back the memories, particularly with Ocarina of Time. Whether it's Link swinging the Master Sword around, opening a chest or even just clicking onto the next piece of dialogue, it really does bring it all back.
                    thought you would like those mate.

what can you say about oot its just a masterpiece in every way.
                    here are a few more palazzo.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge8zd1ZR-hc
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JU0C_l4aac

Comment

Love that Ocarina of Time ending, brilliant but really sad at the same time. In Particular:

- Zelda tellink Link to go home and getting him to hand over the Ocarina

- Epona running across Hyrule Field

- The Sages stood together - Saria, Darunia, Princess Ruto, Impa and Nabooru (Been awhile since I played so had
                      to get onto Google for those names!)

- Link popping the Master Sword into the pedestal, the bells ringing out and then the 'presented by Nintendo'
                      message appearing. Pure magic. When you watch this scene for the first time, you know you have just finished
                      one of the all-time greats.

Comment

Originally posted by Palazzo View Post
                        Love that Ocarina of Time ending, brilliant but really sad at the same time. In Particular:

- Zelda tellink Link to go home and getting him to hand over the Ocarina

- Epona running across Hyrule Field

- The Sages stood together - Saria, Darunia, Princess Ruto, Impa and Nabooru (Been awhile since I played so had
                        to get onto Google for those names!)

- Link popping the Master Sword into the pedestal, the bells ringing out and then the 'presented by Nintendo'
                        message appearing. Pure magic. When you watch this scene for the first time, you know you have just finished
                        one of the all-time greats.
                        i know its real sad mate.
                        thats why near every time i fight ganon i don't want to kill him, because the ending is so sad so i start over again.

but its and the l t t p endings are both wonderful sad yes but hust wonderful.

like i said before oot supposedly took around 3 yrs to make.
                        it was time well spent.

Comment

I kind of played D&D as a kid but we didn't really know what we were doing and mostly just sat around giving our characters loads of treasure

Comment

Wasn't much of the Swords & Sorcery type so my particular favorites were "Twilight 2000" and the steampunk themed "Space 1889."

Is it just me or does the center foreground character on the cover bear a vague resemblance to Charlie Sheen? Winning!

Comment

talking of rpg's japan are crazy about them.
                              there are tons of them that have never had a uk or euopean release.

anyone ever played secret of mana.

although zelda a link to the past is my fave rpg.

it introduced a lot of weapons,two different worlds later copied by oot.
                              it was the first where you could collect bottles.

for me lttp is the grandaddy of all zelda games which all others measure themselves against.

Comment

Was very fond of D&D in the latter part of the 70's and early 80's.For a while we had a good crew who played pretty well,but when members went their own way we sort of ended up with a bunch of loosers who would be more interested in mucking around then actually playing the game.We also played AD&D,Tunnels and trolls,and many others back then.That is before Warhammer became popular.Some of us did move into warhammer for a while after but people drift away get married etc.
                                I had very few games to play on the speccie.Quest etc were all worded adventures.The only one that comes to mind that had some sort of action was Avalon.For me D&D only really worked in a room with real people and a great dungeon/games master.

Comment

Working...
                                X