Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asking for toys....that maybe didn't exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking for toys....that maybe didn't exist?

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has memories of asking for toys for Christmas/birthdays etc. without knowing at the time whether they were actually commercially available or not?

I remember being about 7 and asking for a plush Nookie Bear (sidekick - and upstager - of ventriloquist Roger de Courcey in the 70s/80s) with no idea as to whether one could be bought in the shops. To my amazement on Christmas morning there was the bear all boxed up, fresh from a toyshop shelf (although I can't remember which company made them).

So, out of blind optimism or a challenge to parents, does anyone else remember such requests, and what was the outcome? - a happy surprise, a homemade version, or simple disappointment?

Re: Asking for toys....that maybe didn't exist?

Sorry Brideshead, don't remember ever asking for anything that I didn't know if it existed or not Click image for larger version

Name:	smiley-confused013.gif
Views:	5
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	260236..............I was never that imaginative .

Comment

Re: Asking for toys....that maybe didn't exist?

I don't remember asking for anything that I wasn't sure existed. It was usually the other way around - I'd ask for a particular thing I knew was available then be disappointed to get, to my mind, an inferior version of it.

I asked for a care bear one year. My mum went to great lengths to get a lovely old lady down the road to make one for me. It was bigger and much better made than the real thing but at the time I was so disappointed not to get the real deal. Yes I valued the made in China commercial tat over a lovingly hand made effort. It breaks my heart now.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
      X