Best toy you NEVER had

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best toy you NEVER had

Astro Wars was another thing I really wanted but never got.
    sigpic

Comment

Always fancied an electric guitar too. Only because my friend Craig had one. And a grifter bike. John round the corner had one of those and sometimes we'd swap bikes when we were playing out. Why on earth he'd want to have my girl's shopper for the afternoon I have no idea but he did. Anyway I loved his grifter!
      1976 Vintage

Comment

A new bike instead of the old bike of my big sister which she had hammered and wrecked and even when it was too small for her she wouldn't let me ride it although it had been passed onto me. She always got new I got shabby cast offs.
        The people of Oman don't like the Flintstones but the people of Abu Dhabi do!

Comment

Can't say I had a huge yearning for these, but I wouldn't have said no to a Fisher Price pull along telephone, some Weebles, and any one of the house-based things available at the time...treehouse, big yellow teapot, boot etc.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

I wanted a Millennium Falcon or Imperial Walker and of course Mr Frosty and Big Trax.
            Also wanted a Purple People Eater but couldn't find one in the shops.

Comment

I really wanted the big Castle Lion from Lego in the 1980s but my Mum got me the smaller Black Knights Castle that Christmas...then there was the 1981 Action Man catalogue that had the German Panzer Captain amongst others....wanted LOADS of that stuff...

I also really wanted M.A.S.K and STARCOM toys, only had a M.A.S.K. Condor bike/helicopter...I did get spoilt but my parents could be strict as their credo was 'whats more important-worthless plastic or food, bills etc?!'

One time my Mum snapped and asked that and when I said 'toys'! boy did I get a tanning that day....

I expect its why I'm still into toys, I go through phases of buying stuff, i.e. built up a smallish M.A.S.K collection, an immense Action Man collection, as well as Lego from my childhood etc....I'm pretty tempted to buy a few Starcom items now....

Comment

would love to have had a millenium falcon from star wars of course.
                big trax was another id have liked to get.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Tonyfinster,
                  I had TCR (Total Control Racing) and it was brill, much better than Scalextric! You could swap lanes and have a third car on the track that randomly swapped sides to create an obstacle in you and your friend's races.

Comment

I really wanted a games console when I was a kid, but my parents were dead set against the idea and used to get me computers because they could help me with my 'homework'. It was annoying that all my cousins had Sega Megadrives and used to talk about all these amazing games that I could never play. When ever I did get a chance to play on a games console I couldn't get my head around using a pad instead of a joystick. I used to love going into the city with my mum shopping because pretty much everywhere used to sell games back then, nothing beat going into Boots and having a go on their rigged up games consoles. It was like going to the arcades at the seaside.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                      I really wanted a games console when I was a kid, but my parents were dead set against the idea and used to get me computers because they could help me with my 'homework'. It was annoying that all my cousins had Sega Megadrives and used to talk about all these amazing games that I could never play. When ever I did get a chance to play on a games console I couldn't get my head around using a pad instead of a joystick. I used to love going into the city with my mum shopping because pretty much everywhere used to sell games back then, nothing beat going into Boots and having a go on their rigged up games consoles. It was like going to the arcades at the seaside.

your parents must have been super strict to not let u have a games console sly.
                      seems very unfair.

did you ever end up getting a games console.

i know of websites that sell old consoles and games if your interested in getting any.
                      as i have recently bought a few consoles and many games.

id loved to have had zoids.
                      only thing is they where not so popular here in the uk.

may still get them sometime.
                      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I've got pretty much everything ever released in the EU PAL region, plus some other stuff for playing imports from USA and JAP. Games are my main hobby, along with guitar. I don't watch tv much besides the news, and I maybe watch 1 or 2 films a week. Needless to say under my TV's is chock full consoles now.

What's even more surprising is that despite hating on the consoles at the time, my Mum now owns a Wii and a PS3 for watching burays and catch up tv etc. How times have changed.

Comment

Best toy I never had? Beyond a shadow of doubt, the Tardis model, with the Tom Baker doll that you put into the Tardis, pressed a button and when you opened the door he was 'gone'. Friend of mine had one of those, brought it in at the end of term and let me play with it. I...erm...accidentally pressed the button too hard and broke the internal gubbins. Bang to rights, my fault, though it really WAS an accident. He didn't speak to me for about four years though. Fair enough - I would have shot me if I'd been him...

These days, I can't imagine what it's like to be a Who fan as a kid - you've got ride-around Daleks, for God's sake...It's about the only thing I think might have actually IMPROVED for kids since my day. Well that, and now you get big-budget Spiderman movies, i suppose...

Comment

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "Movie Viewer".....maybe it wasn't really a toy? Anyway my spoilt gay brat of a cousin, Cameron, (he is gay btw....runs in the family!) brought it into school one Xmas and the poof wouldn't let me play with it....never forgave him for that, and my parents couldn't afford to get it for me. I can imagine the movies must have got pretty boring after infinite views. Did anybody have one?

Comment

Spyromatic, and an ATAT walker from Empire Strikes Back

Comment

Oh yeah - the ATATs were way cool. And huge. And did I mention, cool...?

Comment

Working...
                                X