Clackers,Klackers,Click-Clacks and Ker-Knockers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need Help Finding Click -Clacks... I Think

These were usually found wrapped around telephone wires in the street too.

Comment

I'd forgotten about these. I have a pair in the loft (cord ones that is) I think the ridged ones were a more 'safety concious' version, brought out at a later date. The best bit was when you managed a full circle for a matter of seconds before you were rolling around on the floor gripping your wrist! Oh happy days :-)

Comment

I think some kids actually got broken wrists so that's why they may have got banned.

Comment

Ker Knockers

Remember these?
          Click image for larger version

Name:	kk.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	259998

They were banned at my primary school as they were considered dangerous........personally i think it was because of the boys complaining as they were better than their conkers

Comment

Re: Ker Knockers

Were they the same as Clackers. never heard this name before.

Comment

Originally posted by sweep View Post
              Were they the same as Clackers. never heard this name before.
              yes...........different areas had different names i guess

Comment

We used to call them knockers. I'd completely forgotten they were originally called ker knockers! Did anyone actually know someone who broke their wrist with them or was that just scaremongering?

Comment

We called them Clackers and Ker Knockers.
                  I never heard of anyone breaking a wrist, but it really hurt me a few times!
                  sigpic
                  'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Had one for about a week before they were banned and promptly confiscated by mum. never heard of anyone actually hurting themselves.

Comment

Klackers.

Clackers also known as Ker Bangers and numerous other names are a toy which was popular in the early 1970s.
                      They consisted of two plastic spheres suspended on string which were swung up and down so they banged against each other, making a clacking sound.
                      Clackers are similar in appearance to the Argentinian weapons, bolas.

They are formed out of two hard plastic balls, each about two inches 5 cm in diameter, attached to a tab with a sturdy string.
                      The player holds the tab, with the balls hanging below.

Through a gentle up and down hand motion, the two balls swing apart and back together, making the clacking noise that give the toy its name. With practice, it is possible to make the balls swing so that they knock together above the hand as well as below.

in the seventies they got banned as the balls sometimes shattered injuring the kids eyes.
                      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Heather74 View Post
                        These were click clacks

could you be looking for clackers
                        String clackers were just before my time but I did own those hand held ones shown above. It was in the early days of them as there was only one type and colour available which everybody had - fluorescent yellow handle with one fluorescent yellow arm and ball and one fluorescent orange arm and ball.

I do remember seeing string clackers on telephone wires - survivors from the pre-ban halcyon days. At the time I didn't know what they were and resorted to calling them 'cherry things'
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                        X