Toys that scared you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toys that scared you

There was a BIG Incredible Hulk figure, about 14 inches tall, by Mego I think I didn't like as a kid...lol

Comment

Operation
      As a little lad it always scared the hell out of me whenever the buzzer went off!

Comment

balloons i still dread holding them i hate the squeeky noise it makes me feel sick
        on holiday a few years ago my wife and i got roped into going up on stage as part of the family game show at the holiday camp part of the game was to pop balloons by holding them against the stomach and your partner bouncing into them the host just didnt believe me when i said i couldnt go anywhere near the balloons and he thought he d be funny and tip a bag of them over me his laughter suddenly stopped when i got so panicked i projectiled vomited over him

Comment

Originally posted by n3llyo View Post
          balloons i still dread holding them i hate the squeeky noise it makes me feel sick
          on holiday a few years ago my wife and i got roped into going up on stage as part of the family game show at the holiday camp part of the game was to pop balloons by holding them against the stomach and your partner bouncing into them the host just didnt believe me when i said i couldnt go anywhere near the balloons and he thought he d be funny and tip a bag of them over me his laughter suddenly stopped when i got so panicked i projectiled vomited over him
          Ha ha, serves him right!

I'm glad I'm not the only one! A few years ago, work had an "open day," and they didn't believe that I had an actual phobia of balloons till I had a major panic attack when I walked in and found over 200 of them in the department, and had to be sent home . You're doing ever so well if you can actually touch one... just the sight of one, and I'm likely to have the screaming ab-dabs - and I'm just not a hysterical person at all. Walking up the high street is a nightmare these days, cos just about every shop's got some sort of balloon display.

Strangely, the foil ones don't really bother me at all...

Comment

hi tortie not seen you in a while.
            hope your ok.

can you think what triggered this phobia of balloons tortie.
            and when you first realised u had this fear.

i guess you can be scared of just about anything.

only things i ever was scared of was the green fisher price jack in the box and operation game
            but was only scared of them for a while.

i never knew until this i read this thread anyone could have a phobia of balloons and to suuch an extent.

Originally posted by Tortie View Post
            Ha ha, serves him right!

I'm glad I'm not the only one! A few years ago, work had an "open day," and they didn't believe that I had an actual phobia of balloons till I had a major panic attack when I walked in and found over 200 of them in the department, and had to be sent home . You're doing ever so well if you can actually touch one... just the sight of one, and I'm likely to have the screaming ab-dabs - and I'm just not a hysterical person at all. Walking up the high street is a nightmare these days, cos just about every shop's got some sort of balloon display.

Strangely, the foil ones don't really bother me at all...
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
              hi tortie not seen you in a while.
              hope your ok.

can you think what triggered this phobia of balloons tortie.
              and when you first realised u had this fear.

i guess you can be scared of just about anything.

only things i ever was scared of was the green fisher price jack in the box and operation game
              but was only scared of them for a while.

i never knew until this i read this thread anyone could have a phobia of balloons and to suuch an extent.
              Hi Darren, yes, I'm fine thanks - been on holiday, & still busy with dad's house...
              Apparently, one of the "big boys" at a Sunday School party burst a balloon right in front of my face when I was about 18 monhts old, and although I don't actually remember it, it's obviously left its mark. I just wish I had a phobia of something "normal" like spiders or heights lol - they don't bother me at all! But balloons? Put it's this way, I've never been one for parties!

Comment

Kolidescopes (I have spelled that wrongly, I know) scared the cack out of me when I was a kid and still do to this day. The one I was given had little plastic shapes in it and when you turned the end, they moved and slid about and they weren't normal shapes either. It looked to me like some sort of creepy alien creature was trying to claw its way out of the plastic casing. It makes me shudder even now to think about it.
                - Rik Mayall Fanpage On Facebook
                - My retro Youtube channel.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

Tortie, you are not alone with your phobia. My late Grandmother hated balloons also, anything made from that type of rubber or had that type of rubbery sensation to it she detested.

I have odd phobias too. Needles, Brillo Pads. But the oddest one is probably mushrooms. I can't even look at those too well sometimes, especiall the massive ones. They are just creepy and horrible and make me shudder. I touched one once, the feeling of them inbetween my fingers was like I was being tortured. May be extreme to say that but when you are phobic of something the 'fight or flight' instinct kicks in and you put your defences up. I do anyway.

I find it ironic that mushrooms do that to me, especially considering I am a vegetarian. I eat the Quorn products that you can buy in the supermarkets and, according to the details on the backs of the packets, they are made from a mushroom derivative. I am a human oddity, I know, but those products do not look or taste (not that I know what a mushroom tastes like) anything like a mushroom, if they did, I wouldn't go anywhere near them!

So take heart, Tortie, don't think of yourself as being odd. You aren't. Everyone is afraid of something, whether they like to admit to it or not.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

Funny thing is mushrooms and balloons have a similar sort of rubbery feeling to me when I touch them, although I am not afraid of either. All my fear is reserved for spiders and crane flies!
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

amazing to think its had that effect on you.

did you ever ask your parents about it and the effect it had on you in subsequent yrs hun.
                      Normal who wants to be normal.hehe

Originally posted by Tortie View Post
                      Hi Darren, yes, I'm fine thanks - been on holiday, & still busy with dad's house...
                      Apparently, one of the "big boys" at a Sunday School party burst a balloon right in front of my face when I was about 18 monhts old, and although I don't actually remember it, it's obviously left its mark. I just wish I had a phobia of something "normal" like spiders or heights lol - they don't bother me at all! But balloons? Put it's this way, I've never been one for parties!
                      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                        Funny thing is mushrooms and balloons have a similar sort of rubbery feeling to me when I touch them, although I am not afraid of either. All my fear is reserved for spiders and crane flies!
                        Well, I wasn't going to mention this one earlier, but seeing as you have admitted to it, I feel I am not alone also.

I have a major phobia of anything with wings on it. Me and winged creatures do not get along whasoever. Three reasons mainly, and they all happened within a short space of time to each other. First, I was in another town with my family, when I was four, and we were shopping and I was stung int he throat by a giant wasp. I can still picture that event in my mind to this day. I was holding hands with my Aunt and I could see this thing flying toward me, but it wasn't just flying in a straight line, it was spinning around in circles too, like a propellor would do, next thing I know, I feel a giant stinging sensation in my throat and a hell of a lot of pain. That town had an open hospital at that time so I was taken there, after I was taken to a chemist where the bitch behind the counter sprayed some sort of stuff on my throat that made it sting more, and the doctor looked at me. Didn't give me anything for it, though. It wasn't until years later that my Nan told me that the doctor told her that if the sting had been just a little longer, it would have punctured my windpipe.

Secondly, I was playing in the front garden when I was about 7 and a butterfly flew into my mouth. And last, but not least, I was on a daytrip to the beach and there was a massive plague infestation of ladybirds and they got everywhere, on your face, in your hair, down your clothes, it was just horrid.

That's three good reasons, I think, why I can justify my fear of winged creatures. Anything that flies at me now either gets whacked or gets 'the hoover treatment'.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

did you ever ask your parents about it and the effect it had on you in subsequent yrs hun.
                          It would be a novelty for me not to feel like the 'odd one out' for a change. That's not happened too often in my life, except for in the latter years.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

I probably did, but can't remember! I did consider hypnotism to try and "cure" it, but I'm just too darn scared of the things to even try
                            Generally, anything that does, or can go "bang" is out of bounds for me - but ballooons are the worst thing ever. They'd definitely go in my Room 101

Comment

I wasnt scared of any toys, BUT I made my girls scared of the ET doll I had, it was the only way to stop them coming out of the room during their time out.....3 minutes I would point that ET finger at the door.....the girls collaborated and threw the toy out ( which made me laugh ). Then on my recent travel to Canada/America I found a small wind up ET, so I bought it and when we were out celebrating my return back to Australia, I pulled it out of my bag, and placed it on the table, the girls now being 21 and 24 both told me off and threw it in the bin.......love that ET made such a lasting impression on them lol

Comment

Originally posted by the-peoples-poet View Post
                                But the oddest one is probably mushrooms. I can't even look at those too well sometimes, especiall the massive ones. They are just creepy and horrible and make me shudder. I touched one once, the feeling of them inbetween my fingers was like I was being tortured. May be extreme to say that but when you are phobic of something the 'fight or flight' instinct kicks in and you put your defences up. I do anyway.

I find it ironic that mushrooms do that to me, especially considering I am a vegetarian. I eat the Quorn products that you can buy in the supermarkets and, according to the details on the backs of the packets, they are made from a mushroom derivative. I am a human oddity, I know, but those products do not look or taste (not that I know what a mushroom tastes like) anything like a mushroom, if they did, I wouldn't go anywhere near them!
                                Not really that odd because I too have a major phobia about mushrooms. Though strangely, I have no problem with eating them -- it's seeing them growing in the wild that freaks me out. There's got to be some sort of psychological symbolism to that.

Comment

Working...
                                X