Christmas adverts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas adverts

As we are just under a week away from the big day, I thought that I would talk about the classic Christmas adverts that were on TV in the 1980s and 1990s - many of them are on YouTube if you want to watch them. Children's ITV and Saturday mornings during Tiswas or No 73 were best hunting ground for toy and game adverts during the autumn.

Some classics were the good old Toys R Us one with the middle of the advert used to tell us the toys and games they were selling. Also, supermarkets and places like Argos had the special Christmas adverts prepared in the run up to the season, usually starting in November as soon as Bonfire Night is finished for the year. Woolworths - need I say more? Boots do good ones, mostly as they deal with the perfume and aftershave side of the market. Go back 40 years and we had the sub-St Winifred School Choir doing their best for the Co-op.

There were some adverts that ran for years such as the Yellow Pages one which started in 1993-ish and had the young lad who was too small to kiss his favourite girl so he used the telephone directory (Reading, Berkshire - edition: 1992-93) to stand on and do it properly - and it wasn't Robbie Williams either! The Central London edition would have been better... The Kellogg's Corn Flakes advert which was American in origin and ran for many years from the early 1990s as well - the one with the kids in the living room encounter Father Christmas enjoying a bowlful of the breakfast cereal.

Some companies did an "omnibus edition" of the year's ads such as Country Life butter, and I think that Carling Black Label did a similar one at the end of one year. And of course the "sale starts 10 am Boxing Day" adverts during holiday film ad breaks are just as part of the festive season - I go to relatives on Boxing Day, not go to a sale for a sofa or a wall unit.

Coca-Cola's "Holidays are Coming" was a masterpiece as well, and alcohol adverts increase as well, mostly sherry ones. Just as well that the drinking and driving PIFs are on their as well.

What is your favourite Christmas advert in years gone by?
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

One of my favourites was the tizer ad doing the Raymond Briggs snowman.

Comment

I loved the old Woolworths adverts as they used to have many celebs of the day turning up in them.

Comment

Theres Quite Afew Of My Favourite Christmas Adverts .

but my top 3 are the following.

coca-cola christmas truck advert.

and the sainsburys christmas advert in 2014. very emotional watch that advert. and probably the best ad from the last couple of years.

Home Alone: Macaulay Culkin Google Assistant Parody
        thats quite a funny watch

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

That Tesco one from the late 1990s which had Prunella Scales and Jane Horrocks trying get "carrots for the donkey", "nappies for Baby Jesus" and "marshmallows for the arch angel Gabriel" in a Christmas advert - cue a school hall stage hosting a nativity play and Scales on the right-side end of stage waving a full Tesco carrier bag saying "just in time" while Horrocks looks embarrassed while sitting in the audience. Around the same as John Cleese's adverts for Sainsbury's.

I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
          X