Advert memories from 1981

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advert memories from 1981

The seventies were over, but the eighties had not yet begun if you know what I mean. It was before my time (as my memories only seem to go back to when I started Infant school a couple of years later), but looking at off-air ad breaks on YouTube there seemed to be so many fascinating old adverts, usually during London and Southern region films and continuity. The year when Charles and Diana got married was one example - what seemed to me like a very British year to look back on. The ATV region recording of the Revenge of the Pink Panther that year was good hunting ground. Let's have a look at some of the adverts from back then:

1) MURRAY MINTS - Frankie Howerd did a voiceover to at least one of them back then.

2) POMAGNE - Poor man's champagne - adverts gave a nod to the Royal Wedding and also Christmas and New Year as well. Reminds me of the bottle of "poo" that I got for my 18th birthday. Poo - shampoo - champagne...

3) VOSENE SHAMPOO - From champagne to shampoo - Michael Jayston gave his militant tones to the green-bottled shampoo which was still on air in around 1984. Patsy Palmer not included, thank goodness.

4) FINDUS FRENCH BREAD PIZZA - That classical music piece (which name and composer escapes me - reminds me of the Blue Danube) was used in the adverts, as well as Findus' "success on a plate for you" slogan. Always served at parties, were they not? French Bread Pizzas were in Tesco and other supermarkets up until the mid 1990s, but I believe that they have had a couple of revivals since.

5) BEANFEAST - From the OXO kitchen - cooked around 20 minutes apparently. Gary Watson got yet another advertising voiceover gig as a result.

6) CARLING BLACK LABEL - "He got it right", said Peter Bowles in a pub, drinking a pint of the aforementioned poison. A couple of years before the "I bet he drinks..." scenario officially started, we were treated to exploding ice against flashing images (I feel sorry for those with epilepsy) in sub-superhero action usually inside a pub.

7) FLORA - The margarine for men, or so that's what Terry Wogan told us in the adverts. I blame Kleenex man-size tissues as a result.

8) MILKY BAR - Seen post-Rainbow 12.27 pm slot mostly, as well as during Watch It! The Milky Bars were still on "him", but it was around this time that the cowboy image was swapped for a "space-age" identity - I blame Buck Rogers myself...

9) ARGOS - Jim Davidson of all people, became the "spokesman" for the TV adverts, promoting a series of them incorporating the then incumbent autumn and winter 1981 catalogue (just under 300 pages, pre-Superstore back then), and telling us about Elizabeth Duke carriage clocks, hair rollers and furniture for sale. Of course, the spring and summer counterpart would have given us Sun Pearl garden furniture, Black and Decker hedge trimmers and workmates, and Flymo lawnmowers. And toys and games, which reminds me...

10) VARIOUS TOYS AND GAMES ADVERTS - Almost certainly made by Action GT, Peter Pan Playthings and Palitoy. Too many to mention here, but they were always seen during Tiswas on Saturday mornings. Mr Pop, anyone?

Others included Tesco aka "Today's Tesco" with a tick on the side with no Clubcard or "Every Little Helps" slogan to be seen, still using halfpennies in prices. Monster Munch was going strong using the sub-Muppet characters, and so was KP Skips being advertised by a wrestler - Pat Roach, perhaps? MFI and Allied Carpets need no mention. Your caring, sharing Coop was still doing the rounds, reminding us that there's a branch just around the corner.

In the same place (especially in the Tiswas slots) are the PIFs such as the Play Safe "don't fly kites near telegraph poles" ones voiced by Brian "Barraclough" Wilde; and the "Look After Yourself" ones from the Health Education Council. ATV was still on the air, so therefore the seventies probably had not ended just yet on ITV.

I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Gino Ginelli
    hilarious with Italian style singing , Italian cars and people then finding out they’re made in ireland

Comment

Was Gino Ginelli around in 1981 in Great Britain?
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
      X