Brian Glover TV adverts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian Glover TV adverts

As I had mentioned on the self-bumped-up Rumbletums thread yesterday, I saw a few seconds of the late Brian Glover in what looked like a Kellogg's Corn Flakes advert, briefly seen on someone's TV in a Crimewatch UK reconstruction of all places - the advert seems to be from 1983 (as the same year that the reconstruction was set in), and the Crimewatch programme was from 1984 as the programme began that year, but it made me think that Glover was a regular in the ad breaks with promoting different products. Looking on YouTube, I noticed so many adverts that the actor had appeared in either as himself or as a voiceover, usually for a cartoon character, mostly in the 1980s. The Tetley tea folk adverts "Tetley make tea bags, make tea" and the Allinson "nowt taken 'owt" bread series of adverts which ran for years are two examples that he was most associated with. I noticed that when Tracey Ullman wasn't doing them, Glover was the voice of the cartoon pig in the earlier NOW That's What I Call Music albums in the mid 1980s - I assume that he did the single digit ones up until around 1986 when David "Kid" Jensen took over?

I saw that Glover did a 1970s one for Unigate Milk - not a "there's a Humphrey about" one, but one from around the same time where he is dressed as a milkman, and I believed that it was linked to that campaign. Not to confused with the Tetley tea folk, he voiced the unrelated namesake Tetley's Bitter in the late 1980s. He did one for British Gas in around 1993, appearing as a football fan coming home to warm himself up on the hallway radiator, dressed in coat and scarf, and doing the then popular "don't you just love being in control?" catchphrase at the end of it, flicking his right thumb and the famous blue flame forming. Glover did a voiceover for a either Lenor or Comfort, a fabric conditioner in the mid 1990s. There were others, and it's interesting that advertising agencies often went to Glover when they wanted a strong northern masculine voice for their adverts. Brian Glover died in 1997, and I know that either Bernard Wrigley or Bobby Knutt (I confuse the two actors as they were both very similar to each other) took over doing Gaffer's voice for Tetley teabags after Glover's death, right until Tetley changed their advertising campaign to a more serious one in around 2003.

When Steve Coogan was interviewed as himself by Clive Anderson in 1998, (with Coogan interviewed rarely at the time as himself, rather than Partridge, Calf, Ferrino, or anyone else), he mentioned Brian Glover in his interview and doing impressions of him doing Tetley tea bags and Allinson bread, mentioning that he must have been limited in what he could do with regards to voiceovers, and that he couldn't do things such as a voiceover for Lil-lets or something like that. The interview is on YT, and I remember it going out originally, catching the Saturday night repeat. It's amazing how versatile Brian Glover was in his day, especially when a lot of actors would have been deliberately chosen for acting or voiceover work because they come from London or the South East and had more of an RP accent in their voice, not to mention his familiar bald, sub-Kojak head. I would put him in the same league as George A Cooper and other northern-slanted actors of that, and saying that, Glover even appeared in The Bill in 1992 as some sub-Scargill Trade Unionist originally from South Yorkshire, living in London with his daughter. My late father came from South Yorkshire originally and so one can relate to someone of Glover's way of performing.

As Tetley teabags were my favourite brand of tea (mostly because of the blue packaging), I bet you can guess what my favourite adverts that Brian Glover had appeared in? They were great 30 second cartoons back in the day.
    Last edited by George 1978; 16-08-2023, 18:20.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

I remember James Bolam doing some Tetley's adverts, or it was someone else who sounded like him.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

James Bolam did the Young's fish adverts (because he was from the North East), but pre-Only When I Laugh and post-(Whatever Happened to) The Likely Lads, he did the voiceover for Kellogg's Rise and Shine orange juice which was basically a packet of orange powder which would probably resemble something that Just Stop Oil would use in their protests these days, and one would add cold water from the tap to it to make a delicious "first thing in the morning" orange drink. Before my time of course, but YT ad breaks prove it was around in the late 1970s.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
      X