Weird series of adverts, mid-80s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird series of adverts, mid-80s

I remember a series of very dark and weird adverts that showed on TV for a while in the mid-80s but haven't a clue exactly what they were advertizing... Each of these commercials featured a black, darkened screen and there would be the sound of mumbling, echoed voices as well as random things/people appearing on the screen and changing or transforming in some way... I remember a man in a shirt changing into a werewolf-like creature, then later in the same advert there was the sound of a scared little girl's voice and a man's voice answering "Oh, sorry Laura"... Another of these adverts began with a little boy pulsating with some kind of energy, then an old woman came over to him and touched him, and immediately after touching him she turned into stone... Does anyone remember these, and what were they advertizing?

Re: Weird series of adverts, mid-80s

I'd like to know where u buy your weed..............

Comment

Originally posted by paullondon View Post
      I'd like to know where u buy your weed..............
      That's pretty much the response I get to anything I remember on TV from the 80s, I'm seriously wondering now if my parents fed me hallucinogens without my knowledge!

Comment

Don't recall those.Could they have been for Aids/HIV.Those ads were pretty odd.

tulip

Comment

Originally posted by tulip View Post
          Don't recall those.Could they have been for Aids/HIV.Those ads were pretty odd.

tulip
          That's an interesting idea and I'll definitely pursue that... I've found some pretty weird AIDS adverts on YouTube. That would definitely have flown over my head when I was a kid, though I was about 4 or 5 when these particular adverts showed, so I wonder if the AIDS ads would have been on before my bedtime at that age. They were definitely in the same kind of league, very artistic and surreal.

Comment

Still searching for these ads so I'm just gonna give this old thread another go... I've had the suggestion that they may have been advertising an alcoholic drink, which wouldn't surprise me... so if anyone has any idea or recollection feel free to comment.

Comment

A TV trailer for a season of Horror movies perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by TooSoonTom View Post
                A TV trailer for a season of Horror movies perhaps?
                I'm pretty sure they weren't trailers; the format didn't seem right and I'm fairly sure I'd have remembered if they'd been trailers. I'm fairly sure they were advertising something but can't really rule anything out.

Comment

Could they perhaps have been regional ads that weren't broadcast across the UK? Or maybe just in Wales or Scotland?
                  I can't say that I remember them myself, but from what you describe I'd guess that they may have been public info warnings about 'stranger danger' to children.

Comment

I've no idea what adverts you're talking about, but I'm looking forward to seeing them if this thread is solved!

Comment

Yeah, I suspect they may have been regional as no-one else seems to remember them, I grew up in the Northwest region though I think the TV station we received at that time was HTV Wales.

I'll just keep trying until I come across someone who knows the answer, I will also very much look forward to seeing them again if the mystery is solved!

Comment

i guess these adverts will never be found becvause they have probably disappeared in the vaults of old, never to be recaptured

Comment

Wrong link? 2:38 in that link is in the middle of an ad for fabric softener.

Comment

Wow... I seriously can't believe this, but I have actually FOUND the main one of these adverts I remember, over 12 years since I posted this!

It's on this ad break here, jump to 2:38 for the advert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdza29izOWc

The only response I've ever had anywhere I've asked about this has been "What weed do you smoke" and I had long given up hope of ever actually finding it. And never in a million years would I have guessed the ads were for TDK videotapes!

So amazed I've found this after so long. Just goes to show, never give up hope!

Comment

And here is the advert by itself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDAgqDcJRik

I hope the other ad from this series I recall, with the little boy turning the old woman to stone, shows up eventually...

Comment

Working...
                              X