80s Horrors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 80s Horrors

Now it's computer games and the internet getting all the blame for suicides, crime, shooting sprees or murders.
    WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

this is a very good show and one i forget about.
      its extremely creepy and chilling just thinking of it as i type this makes me get goosebumps all over.

Originally posted by Palazzo View Post
      Always been a huge fan of werewolf movie The Howling (1981), there have been umpteen sequels, with each one getting worse as they go along but the original is one of my favourite films. This is how you do werewolves, none of that Twilight nonsense and the full-on transformation sequence is still absolutely amazing after all these years. Please, if you like your 80's horror then pick it up because not only is it dirt cheap now but there is a fantastic documentary with the director and cast. I can't say I have ever given DVD extras much time of day but I really enjoyed that one.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Ones that I remember from the 80's are:- The Shinning (Jack Nicholson - here's Johnny), The Exterminator, Friday 13th 1 & 2, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Evil Dead. All these gave me the creeps made worse by watching them at night and was scared to go to bed

Comment

the thing with TCM its based on a true story which makes it more shocking.
          no real blood in it but it really does have a strong on you the atmosphere the tension of the dinner table scene.

Originally posted by Beach Life View Post
          Ones that I remember from the 80's are:- The Shinning (Jack Nicholson - here's Johnny), The Exterminator, Friday 13th 1 & 2, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Evil Dead. All these gave me the creeps made worse by watching them at night and was scared to go to bed

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
            the thing with TCM its based on a true story which makes it more shocking.
            no real blood in it but it really does have a strong on you the atmosphere the tension of the dinner table scene.
            The first time I saw it it was on a pirate film from my corner shop so it wasn't too clear, then I rented it from a video shop and the scene that still sticks in my head even today is of a woman when she is on that metal hook and seeing her fear and what will happen next still chills me even as I am typing this now It agree it is shocking as it is based on a true story. I haven't watched horrors since then. Thrillers, dramas, comedy, romance and series are more my thing now

Comment

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was not actually based on a true story, this was actually a marketing ploy to get a wider audience for the film. Some of its plot and the character 'Leatherface' were inspired by the mass murderer Ed Gein though.

Comment

Originally posted by xmark1234 View Post
                heres the classic music to zombie flesh eaters wot a film
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ttwzcm5fLI
                nice theme

Originally posted by Gothic View Post
                The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was not actually based on a true story, this was actually a marketing ploy to get a wider audience for the film. Some of its plot and the character 'Leatherface' were inspired by the mass murderer Ed Gein though.
                yeah it's like James Rolfe (AVGN) said on his review of it "it's not whether or not it did happen, it that's it could of"

here's one of my favourite 80s horror vids on youtube, i've seen most of the films in this vid love the very eerie theme, which is from The Fog (1980)

there's also a part 2 & 3

Comment

well mate i must agree i seen 90% of them too some good wot a films in there and yea love the fog theme my self great 80s horror music was
                  Originally posted by Moondog View Post
                  nice theme

yeah it's like James Rolfe (AVGN) said on his review of it "it's not whether or not it did happen, it that's it could of"

here's one of my favourite 80s horror vids on youtube, i've seen most of the films in this vid love the very eerie theme, which is from The Fog (1980)

there's also a part 2 & 3
                  THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

another quite obscure one is death ship.
                    check this trailer.

http://youtu.be/gtwvuVTisFoman
                    i love this one.

quite chilling as you will see.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                      another quite obscure one is death ship.
                      check this trailer.

http://youtu.be/gtwvuVTisFoman
                      i love this one.

quite chilling as you will see.
                      i've seen Death Ship, Darren, i came across the VHS cover on google images one day while searching for covers and thought "hmm that looks good" so i downloaded it and gave it a watch last year or so, not too bad, not much happens really but there is a creepy atmosphere about it.

Comment

'Madman' is an excellent 80's horror. The killings are very inventive! Another personal favourite is 'The Prowler' AKA 'Rosemary's Killer'. It has effects by Tom Savini and was directed by Joseph Zito who also directed the excellent 'Bloodrage'. Two other fabulous films are 'Maniac' and 'He Know's You're Alone'.
                        Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Forgot to add 'Pieces'. Which is another stalk and slash movie. The tagline is great for this one, "You Don't Have To Go To Texas For A Chainsaw Massacre!". Also who could forget the wonderful 'Absurd'? A great film by Joe D'amato who was also responsible for the slick (or sick!) 'Antropophagus : The Beast' AKA 'The Grim Reaper'. Both of these films staring the great George Eastman. The ultra violent (in uncut guise) 'The House on The Edge of The Park' also deserves a mention as does Lucio Fulci's 1982 outing "The New York Ripper". Both very violent and unsettling to watch even now! Also check out 'The Bogeyman' from Ulli Lommel.
                          Last edited by stuckinthe80's; 27-11-2012, 09:38.
                          Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
                            'Madman' is an excellent 80's horror. The killings are very inventive! Another personal favourite is 'The Prowler' AKA 'Rosemary's Killer'. It has effects by Tom Savini and was directed by Joseph Zito who also directed the excellent 'Bloodrage'. Two other fabulous films are 'Maniac' and 'He Know's You're Alone'.
                            Originally posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
                            Forgot to add 'Pieces'. Which is another stalk and slash movie. The tagline is great for this one, "You Don't Have To Go To Texas For A Chainsaw Massacre!". Also who could forget the wonderful 'Absurd'? A great film by Joe D'amato who was also responsible for the slick (or sick!) 'Antropophagus : The Beast' AKA 'The Grim Reaper'. Both of these films staring the great George Eastman. The ultra violent (in uncut guise) 'The House on The Edge of The Park' also deserves a mention as does Lucio Fulci's 1982 outing "The New York Ripper". Both very violent and unsettling to watch even now! Also check out 'The Bogeyman' from Ulli Lommel.
                            cool i'll definitely check them out sometime, i've seen the VHS covers for Antropophagus and House on the Edge of the Park, before on my google images explorations, seen The Prowler before too, that one was ok.

a couple of decent zombie films i'd recommend also would be 'Nightmare City', 'Hell of the Living Dead', 'City of the Living Dead' (aka The Gates of Hell), and Lucio Fulci's 'The House By The Cemetery'
                            Last edited by Moondog; 27-11-2012, 14:57.

Comment

It's great to see all the love for the old Horror VHS covers, there were some great ones. I have memories of me and a few school mates spending ages in an old VHS rental shop in town, just taking all those amazing covers in. There were loads of them, most of them 80's but a handfull of early 90's stuff in there too. We spent so long in there once that the grumpy woman behind the counter threatened to get us thrown out! I'm sure looking back though that most of them, while having great covers, were actually pretty bad movies. One I'll never forget looking at was Killer Clowns From Outer Space (1988), never seen it but the cover still sticks in my mind, haha.

On the subject, there was one that always intrigued me but the title has long since left my memory. I think the gist of the film was that a young kid is haunted by his toys, the cover had a picture of him sitting up in bed with a group of sinister-looking toys staring at him. This ring any bells with anyone?
                              Last edited by Palazzo; 27-11-2012, 20:36. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by Palazzo View Post
                                It's great to see all the love for the old Horror VHS covers, there were some great ones. I have memories of me and a few school mates spending ages in an old VHS rental shop in town, just taking all those amazing covers in. There were loads of them, most of them 80's but a handfull of early 90's stuff in there too. We spent so long in there once that the grumpy woman behind the counter threatened to get us thrown out! I'm sure looking back though that most of them, while having great covers, were actually pretty bad movies. One I'll never forget looking at was Killer Clowns From Outer Space (1988), never seen it but the cover still sticks in my mind, haha.

On the subject, there was one that always intrigued me but the title has long since left my memory. I think the gist of the film was that a young kid is haunted by his toys, the cover had a picture of him sitting up in bed with a group of sinister-looking toys staring at him. This ring any bells with anyone?
                                i've seen Killer Klowns from Outer Space, not bad, one of those horrors that's so bad its good lol

and the film you must be on about is 'Curse of The Puppet Master' (1998)

Comment

Working...
                                X