Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First film you remember seeing and where.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First film you remember seeing and where.

First film I went to see and can date it was either Where Eagles Dare or 2001: A Space Odyssey, both during their original runs in 1968/1969, when I would have been 7 years old. Goodness knows what I made of 2001 at the time. I can remember being taken to see Born Free and The Sound of Music, both made before Eagles and 2001, but am not sure if it was during their original runs or when they were on re-release. First film I went to see without an adult was Diamonds are Forever in 1971, when I was probably 9 and my cousin, who came with me, was 6. All seen at the cinema on Walsall Road, Cannock--can't remember what it was called at the time.

Comment

Not sure if I posted this before - The Wizard Of Oz at a Saturday kids' matinee thingy - scared me half to death!!!
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

I can imagine as a young kid it would scare you and lots of other kids.

It does have a kinda dark tone to it.

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
        not sure if i posted this before - the wizard of oz at a saturday kids' matinee thingy - scared me half to death!!!
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

It was the bit where the witch writes Surrender Dorothy in the sky with her broom that really got to me! So sinister!
          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

jaws at the abc in bolton.

Comment

Originally posted by big kid View Post
              jaws at the abc in bolton.
              I may have been sat near you !!

( always central but nearer the back of the theatre )

Bury lad

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                I may have been sat near you !!

( always central but nearer the back of the theatre )

Bury lad

more than likely. i loved that cinema, but the odeon was best.

Comment

Originally posted by big kid View Post
                  more than likely. i loved that cinema, but the odeon was best.
                  The odeon in Bury or Bolton ? .

We went to the Odeon in Bury or the posher Royal a few hundred yards away ...

Comment

Waterloo, circa 1970. Somewhere on the South Coast, no idea where. All I recall we were on holiday and it was raining so my father took me to the cinema. A real treat and a rarity).

That film had a huge impact on me and holds up well against today's CGI's.

Comment

Circa 1972 on the Isle of Wight, either Shanklin or Sandown. It was a cinema on the pier if I remember correctly. Not the first film but a very memorable experience. The film was Zulu and I sat right at the front, with my parents being somewhere in the middle. It was pouring with rain outside and there was a fierce thunderstorm. Just at the point in the film where the zulus are beginning their first charge at the stockade there was a complete power failure and we sat there for ages until we were told there was no chance of the power coming back on. We got refunds but next day the film had changed to A Fistful of Dollars and I couldn't see it as it was a AA and I was only 10 or 11 at the time, and it was years before I managed to see Zulu on TV--but it wasn't as spectacular as on a cinema screen.

Comment

My first movie hmm ... It seems to me that it was like I was 7 years old and my mother took me to the cinema to pocachontas :P It was in Krakow.

Comment

First film I recall is either Seven Brides formSeven Brothers or Carousol ( spelling ) .

Comment

I have recalled an earlier film that I saw at the cinema. I was taken to see the Beatles film 'Help' in 1965, when I would have been 3 or 4. The only two scenes I remember are when the fab four are playing in the snow and when Ringo is kidnapped and put into the boot of a car, whereupon I burst out crying.

Comment

[QUOTE=staffslad;207351]I have recalled an earlier film that I saw at the cinema. I was taken to see the Beatles film 'Help' in 1965, when I would have been 3 or 4. The only two scenes I remember are when the fab four are playing in the snow and when Ringo is kidnapped and put into the boot of a car, whereupon I burst out crying.[/

I didnt see this film in the cinema,but remember in my early teens boxing day they would show this film or Hard Days Night

Comment

Yes, I remember 'Help!' and 'A hard Day's Night' being staples of Christmas viewing for years in the 70s. Oddly, though, they only seemed to be shown at that particular time of year back then.

Comment

Working...
                                X