Favourite Kids Thriller/Spooky Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Kids Thriller/Spooky Program

I don't know about anyone else, but I have recently come to realise that kids programs nowadays have kinda well, been watered down...

There doesn't seem to be any of the good old, hide behind the sofa, kids TV any more. Don't know if that's because kids are subjected to a lot worse today or what..

I mean, we used to be subjected to ghosts that haunt old castles houses, trees that got up and walked and of cause dodgy bbc alien costumes!!

Still it seems to me that they should bring back some programs, well at least bring them up to date a little.

So I have to ask what was everyone elses favourite thriller or spooky tv/film?

I think one that I would have to start with would be Chocky, I know it wasn't to bad, but it was just the initial scream at the beginning of the theme tune that sorta set things off!!

Re: Favourite Kids Thriller/Spooky Program

Moondail, Scared the beejeezus out of me. Oh and Century Falls I had nightmares about that golden masked figure in the waterfall

Comment

Sapphire and Steel. That were 'king great! WELL DESERVES AN ITV REPEAT ON A SATUDAY/SUNDAY AFTERNOON!!
      But I bet some moron's decided to try and screw t up by modernising/remaking it!
      Anybody else want to see it back on ITV?
      WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vanhelsing View Post
        Sapphire and Steel. That were 'king great! WELL DESERVES AN ITV REPEAT ON A SATUDAY/SUNDAY AFTERNOON!!
        But I bet some moron's decided to try and screw t up by modernising/remaking it!
        Anybody else want to see it back on ITV?
        (BTW my birthstone happens to be Sapphire)
        WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Yeah - Sapphire and Steel was properly creepy. Rewatched them recently, and even as a 40-year-old there are some bits that are just dead creepy. Loved the intereview, decades ago, when Joanna Lumley stood in for Tery Wogan for a week, and had David McCallum on.
          "So c'mon McCallum, what was it actually about?"
          "Haven't the first idea. You?"
          "Not a clue, no..."

lol

Bits of 70s Who were scary - was deliciously behind-the-sofa traumatised by the end of episode one of Destiny of the Daleks (Yep, I know it by episode - I'm that kind of geek!), where a screaming Dalek burst through the WALL....
          Was scared by things like Kizzie too - crowds of people chanting bully-words, crowding in around her, that stayed with me. Mind you, that was familiar from real-life too.

Oh and while we're on crowds of scary people, can I get an honourable mention for the 80s version of Day of the Freakin' Scary Triffids???

The original Chocky was creepy up to a certain point, yeah, but after Chocky helped Matthew save Polly from drowning, it was more a buddy-series, like its sequels.

Comment

The chanting from the villagers in "The children of the stones" still chills me...also the St Christopher walking through the water in the children of green knowe.

Comment

well one for me is the box of delights.
              its theme tune is so spooky never mind the show and it does make you go behind the sofa.

here it is.

http://youtu.be/DUkOsMSN7PI
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I heard quite a bit about that Chocky show from various retro sites/fans and as it was slightly before my time, decided to check it out. Very strange, incredibly creepy for a kids show.

Mine would probably be 'Are You Afraid of The Dark?' which I think originally aired on Nickelodeon and was then picked up on ITV. Premise was a group of kids would all head into the woods for midnight and one of them would tell a spooky story which would be brought to life for the viewer. Some of the stories could be a bit hit and miss but when the show did get it right, it really could creep kids out at the time, myself included.

Have to mention 'Eerie Indiana' too, which was aired on Channel 4. I didn't see too many episodes of this show but again, what I did see was very strange. It was basically Twin Peaks for kids, a boy and his family movie to Eerie, Indiana and find that the town and the locals are not what they seem.

There are probably a few more but those ones are off the top of my head.

Comment

For me, it's got to be Escape Into The Night. I still find it scarey and if I'm trying to scare my kids (in fun) I alway use the voice of the Stones.

Comment

Working...
                  X