This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Doctor Who!

Eccelston was brilliant - the ordinary looking man in very nondescript clothing do extra-ordinary things. He had a very Tom Bakeresque quality to his time in the show but they updated it nicely with the tongue in cheek humour - times change and so had the show.

Tennant was brilliant - what? After over 950 years of life someones saying its not okay for the character to actually emote? Show some of his feelings? I think he'd be a rather strange being if he didn't understand concepts of love or emotions....The whole 9th/10th Doctor story arch was the backdrop of The Last Great Time War - the man had fought in a mutually destructive war between two immensely powerful species that led to their (seemingly) mutual destruction - more over, the Doctor made that happen. Of course he was lonely, unhappy, guilty and emotional...thats not 'human' thats good writing, good character development and also all the more interesting. Atop that, we got to see the power of a Timelord, his anger and at times his merciless, darker side.

Matt Smith? A new 'man' a new 'reset', perhaps the character is slowly coming to terms with the events of his previous lives 8 - 10, maybe the immense power of the destructive regeneration in the Tardis due to all that radiation helped really reset his mind to being a bit more 'alien' again - or maybe its just Moffat taking him on a different avenue to Davies 5 year story arch of The Last Great Time War....

Its time they still show more of the Dr's emotive range in current Moffat era - his anger, his disdain, his ability to fell Empires if need be for the good of others etc, but he also needs to show his fallability - hes not perfect, the writing is what lets Matt Smith down and there are plenty of Who fans who feel the same. Of all Matts stories, The Rebel Flesh ang Gangers realistically showed why he was cast - interesting it wasn't an overblown Moffat penned story.

Hope the links I posted were of interest.

Sly, your points are very well made mate

Comment

This is also very good. Its an imaginative Dalek Graphic Novel/Comic...theres some great humour in it too, keep eyes peeled for those bits...refreshing too as it doesn't feature the Doctor and reminded me of the TV Century 21 DALEKS comic strip that I've seen in retro shops over the years...I also liked the individuality of the designs as well as to the Daleks having personalities - it got me thinking that as the rest of the fictional universe only see them as conquerors and oppressors or soldiers perhaps this would be a realistic representation of actual Dalek Society - the things the rest of the galaxy isn't privy to....especially them doing a few more 'normal things' or even chatting to one another about nothing in particular...

http://www.mechmaster.co.uk/cg-lair/...cemp-index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
        I really like Eccleston as an actor, but his style of acting wasn't really 'in place' if you know what I mean? That character doesn't suit him. I liked Tennant though. Flamboyant but he could do the serious stuff when he wanted. The whole dying process he did was touching. The isolation he portrayed was excellent.

I'm not massively obsessed with it. I like watching it, but I wouldn't feel bad if I missed an episode. I don't particularly like the goofball characters they have. The Cordon episodes drove me insane. Tate could be unwatchable at times too.

I began to like Tate - made a change from the 'I fancy Dr 10 so much which was tiring to see with Rose and Martha....she was just a typical companion - there for the adventure. You've summed up my viewpoint of Dr Who in general - not obsessed but like watching it and no I also don't like the goofballs.

Comment

yes i felt tennant was to human like.

after all the dr is not human although he is in appreance.
          his brain is very different.[

QUOTE=tony ingram;167202]Unfortunately, I could never accept tennant as the Doctor. He seemed to me to beplaying a much too 'humanized' character, not a centuries old alien. Tom Baker, Colin Baker, Matt Smith (despite his youth), McCoy and most of the others could make me believe in the Doctor's alienness, but Tennant just seemed to be playing a thirty-odd romantic lead, which was just wrong. The whole Doctor/Rose relationship made no sense if you considered that he was supposed to be about a thousand years older than her and a totally different species from another planet. I also thought that last episode of his was almost all totally out of character for the Doctor, with all the whining and that pitiful "I don't want to go" at the end. That wasn't the Doctor. It completely robbed the character of his dignity. The other Doctors wouldn't have said that.[/QUOTE]
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Did anyone even look at the wonderful comic, youtube uploads or even Peter Mckinstrys concept art? All that creativity.... I had thought it would create new avenues of comment...

Comment

just checked this its amazing.
              only checked a few pages.

some amazung shots.

cheers SF.
              Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
              This is also very good. Its an imaginative Dalek Graphic Novel/Comic...theres some great humour in it too, keep eyes peeled for those bits...refreshing too as it doesn't feature the Doctor and reminded me of the TV Century 21 DALEKS comic strip that I've seen in retro shops over the years...I also liked the individuality of the designs as well as to the Daleks having personalities - it got me thinking that as the rest of the fictional universe only see them as conquerors and oppressors or soldiers perhaps this would be a realistic representation of actual Dalek Society - the things the rest of the galaxy isn't privy to....especially them doing a few more 'normal things' or even chatting to one another about nothing in particular...

http://www.mechmaster.co.uk/cg-lair/...cemp-index.htm

Comment

I admire people with that kind of artistic talent. I recently contacted Peter Mckinstry and he told me there was supposed to be a flashback in The Stolen Earth featuring a young Davros showing his accident but it was cut from one of the earlier write ups of the script sadly. I also remember reading Russell T Davies had written a flashback scene in which we could have seen a young Davros, stood on the plains of Skaro (I think outside the Kaled Domed City) ' a powerfully built man in a dirty white labcoat watching the mushroom cloud rising over the horizon', it was probably the Thal City that had been bombed and it was supposed to be a scene in which he describes how he was inspired to insure the total survival of the Kaled race...(as Daleks no doubt!)...

I'd love it if the Beeb adapted 'I, Davros' by Big Finish as a tv series spin off - it'd be great to finally see the young Davros and how he becomes the mutated, crippled, insane meglomaniac he became....

I've never mentioned it here but I actually worked for the company that makes the Dr Who DVDs, that was around 7 years ago. We used to get freebies all the time and one of the bonuses of the job was I could get hold of copies of the classic series before it had even hit retail! At our 2005 xmas party at Cafe De Paris we had a Sci Fi theme and we even had actual BBC prop tardises there! Sometimes we'd even get told secrets by people who knew production staff on the new series, I can remember when we were told David Tennant was the 'new' Doctor, even before the press knew...we even got to see what his outfit would look like and I managed to have a look at the real overcoat he was going to wear...the reason we used to find things out is because the dvd company is part of the BBC itself...great times. The last bits of privvy info I saw before I left were Davros and the red Dalek Supreme - well, the top half. We sometimes got given still photos taken around the time the actors were fully made up or props were in the studio for creating our dvd covers for the show...sometimes we'd look at stuff and think 'what the hell is that?!' I do sometimes miss those days but it was hard work....

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                  yes i felt tennant was to human like.

after all the dr is not human although he is in appreance.
                  his brain is very different.
                  Yeah, I think the writers need to remember that, though he looks human, he's actually from a completely different species which would almost certainly have a totally different psychology to us, a totally different way of looking at the world and of relating to others.

Comment

[

just tp prove the dr is not human.
                    dr's never cry or show any type of emotiontears, etc.
                    timelords regenerate etc.

i also remember a pertwee story where because of his brain he was not attacked but other humans where as theres where different.
                    the dr is a timelord not a human.
                    i remember something scanned pertwees dr's brain but he was not attacked it then scanned a humans brain and did attack him.
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    QUOTE=tony ingram;167227]Yeah, I think the writers need to remember that, though he looks human, he's actually from a completely different species which would almost certainly have a totally different psychology to us, a totally different way of looking at the world and of relating to others.[/QUOTE]

Comment

[

just tp prove the dr is not human.
                      dr's never cry or show any type of emotiontears, etc.
                      timelords regenerate etc.

i also remember a pertwee story where because of his brain he was not attacked but other humans where as theres where different.
                      the dr is a timelord not a human.
                      i remember something scanned pertwees dr's brain but he was not attacked it then scanned a humans brain and did attack him.
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Daz, the shows constantly re-writing things all the time. You could interpret it as 'he was on his own in the Tardis so he showed his true fear by being emotional and crying'...

I wouldn't be surprised if Russell T Davies regrets in hindsight the over-emotional send off he gave Tennant....especially if he reads the sorts of criticisms people write on forums of one form or another! (Q.E.D. - me being one of them)...I actually thought his regeneration was made all the more stupid once Matt appeared - all jolly and zany after all that angst...one writer doing it OTT, another taking over and in an instant - WHAM....it was all botched....anyhow, dones done. Hopefully Matt's exit will be more heroic and less pathetic. Saying that, I did find it emotional saying goodbye to Tennant's Dr....so in a sense it did all work for me.

Comment

yes i agree it looked odd tennant being sad as matt took over in the regeneration being all happy etc.
                        not one of the best regenerations.

normally after a regeneration the new dr is a bit off and not quite himself.

he is not normally so jolly.

be interesting to see who the next dr is.
                        id want someone older than matt doing it.

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                        Daz, the shows constantly re-writing things all the time. You could interpret it as 'he was on his own in the Tardis so he showed his true fear by being emotional and crying'...

I wouldn't be surprised if Russell T Davies regrets in hindsight the over-emotional send off he gave Tennant....especially if he reads the sorts of criticisms people write on forums of one form or another! (Q.E.D. - me being one of them)...I actually thought his regeneration was made all the more stupid once Matt appeared - all jolly and zany after all that angst...one writer doing it OTT, another taking over and in an instant - WHAM....it was all botched....anyhow, dones done. Hopefully Matt's exit will be more heroic and less pathetic. Saying that, I did find it emotional saying goodbye to Tennant's Dr....so in a sense it did all work for me.

Comment

yes i agree it looked odd tennant being sad as matt took over in the regeneration being all happy etc.
                          not one of the best regenerations.

normally after a regeneration the new dr is a bit off and not quite himself.

he is not normally so jolly.

be interesting to see who the next dr is.
                          id want someone older than matt doing it.
                          I think Moffat just wanted to get him back to being his old self as soon as possible, unencumbered by the previous showrunner's baggage. I agree about wanting an older Doctor, but sadly I think the days of any Doctor being played by an actor over forty are over. All TV now seems obsessed with youth.

Comment

at a guess id have thought peter davison was the previous youngest before matt to play the role of dr who.
                            i think jon pertwee was 50/51 when he played the role.
                            perhaps they just want the role to be played by younger actors does not mean they will do a better job.
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
                            I think Moffat just wanted to get him back to being his old self as soon as possible, unencumbered by the previous showrunner's baggage. I agree about wanting an older Doctor, but sadly I think the days of any Doctor being played by an actor over forty are over. All TV now seems obsessed with youth.

Comment

Davison was 29 in 1981, so yes, you're right. Matt Smith was 27 when he took over. The oldest was William Hartnell, who was 55, followed by Jon Pertwee (50), PatrickTroughton (46), Sylvester McCoy (44), Chris Eccleston (41), Tom and Colin Baker (both 40), Paul McGann (36) and David Tennant (34).

Comment

perhaps they just want the role to be played by younger actors does not mean they will do a better job.
                                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Good point. I agree they should cast someone older next time - they probably will, as it'd be a starker contrast once more. I do think its more economical having a younger, lesser known actor in the role these days as the actor playing the part grows into it and also ages better on screen over 3 or more years, with older actors they do tend to grow more portly, more visibly older obviously, - look at Tom Baker over his many years in the role or John Pertwee....however, the role really needs someone older, it adds more gravitas...it will get ridiculous if the next actor would be even younger though.

Comment

Working...
                                X