• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tony ingram
    replied
    Re: Doctor Who is 48 Today!

Originally posted by darren View Post
    always felt smith was to young to get the role.i think there is to much humor in it now.

id rather it be like it was in the eighties far scarier and darker.
    when i watch the older episodes they still scar me a bit.

since dr who started back with ecclestone there is dar to much laughing and joking around.
    Humour has almost always been an important part of Doctor Who, right back to the sixties (in particular Patrick Troughton's tenure). It was certainly a huge part of the Tom Baker era, especially once Douglas Adams became script editor. In the early eighties the humour element was almost totally lost because John Nathan-Turner wanted the show to be taken more seriously, but that approach didn't really work in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• darren
    replied

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
    I'll say it here, I bet Matt Smith has already 'secretly' agreed his leaving when the 50th anniversary comes in 2013...its my opinion thats the real reason behind the new 'split' seasons i.e. half shown in summer and the other half of new series in autumn...it stretches out his tenure. He's ok, but too young for the role. The writing at present is awful and confusing and predictable on the whole...Tennant for me was brilliant, and his outfit was way cooler....Its a shame about Matt, he can be great if the writing and plot arcs were better.

I also think, they'll have to come up with a clever way of the Doc getting another 12 regenerations in 2013 - if I wrote the show, somehow I'd write in the character of the 'Woman' from The End of Time...it was obvious it was The Doctor's Mother, even Russell T Davies said that was the initial outline for Claire Bloom's character. I think it'd be poigniant and sad that the same person who gave The Doctor life, gives him life once more, or lives I'm sure it would seem logical for such a sedentiary race as the Timelords that many had aged without ever regenerating.

Anyhow, they'll probably do something really naff and predictable so who am I to waffle like this...
    always felt smith was to young to get the role.i think there is to much humor in it now.

id rather it be like it was in the eighties far scarier and darker.
    when i watch the older episodes they still scar me a bit.

since dr who started back with ecclestone there is dar to much laughing and joking around.

apparently the dr can only have 13 regenerations what happens after that.

david tennant had been the best dr since it came back.

Leave a comment:

• Marine Boy
    replied

Oh! A Doctor Who thread!! lol

I agree with much that has been said. Didn't much like the 'mother' idea either.

Tony's original post is so true. Amazing variety! Anyone who's not checked out the Big Finish Audios needs to do so now!

Leave a comment:

• tony ingram
    replied

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
    I'll say it here, I bet Matt Smith has already 'secretly' agreed his leaving when the 50th anniversary comes in 2013...its my opinion thats the real reason behind the new 'split' seasons i.e. half shown in summer and the other half of new series in autumn...it stretches out his tenure. He's ok, but too young for the role. The writing at present is awful and confusing and predictable on the whole...Tennant for me was brilliant, and his outfit was way cooler....Its a shame about Matt, he can be great if the writing and plot arcs were better.
    Afraid I can't agree with this. I was never a big fan of Tennant's Doctor (far too 'humanized') or Russell T Davies' writing (far too soapy and melodramatic) but as far as I'm concerned, Matt Smith nailed the part straight away; I can really believe this is the same character played by Patrick Troughton and Sylvester McCoy, in particular. I also think the writing is fantastic; it's complex, clever and really rewards the committed viewer (how can it be confusing and predictable?) and is basically what I think Doctor Who should always have aimed to become-proper sci-fi! I'd say the last two years are the best the show has been since about 1981.
    I also think, they'll have to come up with a clever way of the Doc getting another 12 regenerations in 2013 - if I wrote the show, somehow I'd write in the character of the 'Woman' from The End of Time...it was obvious it was The Doctor's Mother, even Russell T Davies said that was the initial outline for Claire Bloom's character. I think it'd be poigniant and sad that the same person who gave The Doctor life, gives him life once more, or lives I'm sure it would seem logical for such a sedentiary race as the Timelords that many had aged without ever regenerating.
    Hated the whole 'mother' idea, too; bringing in the Doctor's mother would totally destroy the central mystery of the character, in my opinion. His family should be long dead.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Anyhow, they'll probably do something really naff and predictable so who am I to waffle like this...

Leave a comment:

• tony ingram
    started a topic Doctor Who!

Doctor Who!

It's 48 years to the day since Doctor Who first materialized on BBC TV on 23rd November 1963. President Kennedy had just been assassinated, man was still six years away from reaching the Moon, and there were only two TV channels in Britain, "BBC" and "The Other Side". Now, 48 years later, we've seen 11 Doctors feature in 223 stories made up of 783 episodes (not including Children in Need Etc) plus four spin-off shows (K9 & Company, Torchwood, The Sarah Jane Adventures and K9), several theatre productios, more than 200 audio/radio stories, five separate ranges of original novels, two cinema adaptations starring Peter Cushing, three webcast adventures and forty seven years worth of comic strips. Not bad for a series originally intended to run for 13 weeks!

Happy Anniversary, Doctor!
Working...
X