Clear All

Re: Bbc2 the 70's

70s politics was very precarious.
    - Rik Mayall Fanpage On Facebook
    - My retro Youtube channel.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

Re: The BBC Two Seventies Season

must say T.P.P. thats not right not showing one of them on the iplayer.
      guess it was a choice which will we not show on the iplayer.

both have been superb so far.

really enjoyed them both very much.
      better than i expected them to be.

some great memories.

but as they are on different nights make sure u watch the one thats not on the iplayer mate.
      although both should be on the iplayer.

Originally posted by the-peoples-poet View Post
      Am currently loving the series on the Seventies that the BBC are showing. Very interesting and fascinating. I never realised there was so much to that decade. I thought it was all flares, sex comedies, dodgy jumbers and package holidays. Loving the soundtrack in the background though.

What I am not happy about is the BBC not showing the other accompanying documentaries on the iplayer. They showed last week a show called TV 73 and I Love The 70s (episode 2) and they are not on iplayer. Not. Bloody. Happy. >
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

The main new series is on iplayer afterwards, good job too, but the other shows - I Love and TV 73 - weren't on iplayer afterwards. Sometimes Auntie Beeb can let you down. :-(

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

Sometimes Auntie Beeb can let you down. :-(
          Most of the time these days,
          Especially looking at the ridiculousness of their news coverage.

Comment

Well, I can't say I completely agree, I only watch the BBC, I don't watch the commercial channels anymore, haven't done so for about 15 years or so now, when all the regional ITV stations were disbanded and merged under the 'ITV umbrella', the quality really went down hill and everything changed for the worse.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

TPP - think we all agree there, ITV as one is terrible. The symbolic rot (for me) really set in once TVS lost its franchise to Meridian and Thames lost to Carlton. Especially the losses of Thames and LWT, they were great broadcasters - except for LWT's Telethon's or The Six o'clock Show...you have to blame Thatcher, she didn't like the 'Death on The Rock documentary as part of the This Week programme Thames broadcast concerning the shoot to kill policy given to the SAS about the IRA members in Gibraltar who were planning a mainland bombing. Even David Elstein, head of programming at Thames said there was a connection between the loss of their franchise in 1991 and Thatchers extreme dislike of Thames as a broadcaster following the documentary...she didn't like the 'monopoly' in independent broadcasting - ironic as thats what ITV was supposed to be since its inception - not a voicebox of Government, which the BBC clearly is...

Its the same with LWT being taken over by the god awful Carlton Granada monstrosity, it lost its branding in 2002...

Anyhow, back to The 70's - what amazes me is how the cost of practically everything, year on year has risen...sad isn't it.

Comment

Well on that first point you made, I don't feel I should comment, it's very political and also quite personal to me as I am from Ulster, but on th point of the monopolies, ITV and the BBC are quite different. The BBC is funded by the people through license fee, so it is an agreed monopoly, because everyone pays for it, but a commercial monopoly is quite different esp from a business pointof view, they are, in effect, telling you what the conditions are and what you will have and see without asking you if that's what you want. Commercial monopolies are never a good thing. I am a believer in a free market economy. :-) I do agree about the demise f LWT, they did make some classic shows and the weekend broadcasting back then was something to anticipate with delight.No, it's not sad that everything rises in price, that's just inflation and the ways of economics, for if you don't make profit you can't invest in jobs and products and services people rely on.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

I wasn't making a political point - I was simply stating the event that led in part or main to the demise of one of the best ITV franchises in the South. Secondly, a lot of people felt after Thames went ITV went downhill. As for your comment about commercial monopolies and them telling us what we will see is incorrect as both the BBC and ITV have been doing that for years - they make programmes, if we the viewers like them, they make more of it. If not, they eventually stop. Never have either channel 'asked' viewers what they want to see and then make it for us. I didn't ask BBC to have a vapid 24 News Network, I didn't ask ITV to be bought up entirely by Granada Carlton, I didn't ask Lord Grade to lessen the amount of regional news broadcasts and regional based shows down to a meagre 9 broadcasts to 'save millions'...if theres supposed to be a free market economy then ITV for one should be broken up once more and allowed to operate via regional, independent franchise holders broadcasting regional interest and news items, illustrating regional variance - look on you tube and you will see many lament the end of ATV MIDLANDS, THAMES, SOUTHERN, TVS, etc, etc - if its a free market economy and ITV still stands for 'INDEPENDENT TELEVISION' then its a bit of an anacronism as they are simply one giant behemoth holding one big monopoly under the GRANADA CARLTON umbrella, thats hardly a free market economy that allows other broadcasters or potential franchise holders to operate under a free market economy.

As for your other comment, no, it is sad that prices of food, houses, fuel etc rise and rise - many cannot afford it or are feeling the pinch. Are you saying that greedy fuel companies, gas, electric, train operators etc are right to increase prices over the odds to the point where its ridiculous? I don't see anyone else happy about it. Privatisation led to a lot of this and the accursed Maggie Thatcher led to a lot of that too. As far as I'm concerned the UK is a costly place to live, moreso than other climes and that is sad as the Pound in your pocket doesn't buy much anymore. If prices going ups a good thing in your book you must be thinking that many people cannot get onto the property ladder is a good thing as they cannot afford it? You made some good points but you need to think about the ramifications of such comments as many many people will disagree - I do wonder, are you just very well off to have that view of prices?

Comment

I'm frugal, I know how to look after myself and if I have to pay a bit extra to keep hold of a product or service I value, I am prepared to do that.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

I'm frugal, I know how to look after myself and if I have to pay a bit extra to keep hold of a product or service I value, I am prepared to do that.
                      So? So am I. So are many people. But on the whole the majority of folk don't like paying over the odds for things.

Comment

I am really enjoying the 70's programmes they are showing on Saturday evenings on BBC2.......I'm sure there must be loads that use this site who are glued to the screen like me.

Comment

But wow how out of date are the talking heads now? When this series was on katie Puckrick an Wayne Hemmingway were hardly top names, now they really fall into the 'who the heck' category.

The BBC should have made a new series about the 70s, not just pass off repeats that are really outmoded.
                          I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

Even if they did make new progs on the 70s you'd be sure to see....Stuart MaConie on it...he's on progs like this ALL the time. He'd even be on a prog about progs like this I bet...

Comment

The '70s...

Did anyone else around here, waste four hours of their life watching this tosh?!!!
                              When the BBC commision these 'factual' documentaries full of archive footage, they should employ people / researchers who know their stuff.
                              Like a lot of historians, Dominic Sandbrook was economical with his facts. Or maybe he was too selective and nostalgic: Anyway according to him, in the early 1970s, many British families had so much money to spare, that they were able to buy houses in Peterborough (of all places!! No disrespect meant to the place on my part, I'll add). Speaking as someone who lived in council housing back then, buying and moving to Peterborough wasn't an option. Even if I wanted to. I know that every historical thing that happened couldn't be depicted in the series, but why didn't he/they feature the BBC's TV strike of 1979 for instance?? That was ignored. But a young Arthur Scargill was concentrated on, so was a group of women going on strike, as if this was the first time it happened in British history, when in fact it happened at Grunwick (Also not mentioned) and in the '60s at Dagenham.

Anyway, that's my rant of the day over. Any thoughts from other people on here?

Comment

Re: The '70s...

I watched it..............it wasn't tosh..............next time do a wordsearch

Comment

Working...
                                X