Dark and Lonely Water PIF: its director speaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark and Lonely Water PIF: its director speaks

A blog entry about the filming of the famous 'Dark and Lonely Water' PIF by its director, Jeff Grant:

'My youngest son, now in his early thirties, is a great forager of the internet and digger-up therefrom of nuggets of one sort or another. The other day he sent me a number of links to a few of his recent unearthings which he said he thought might interest me but which he did not identify. I followed them and was both stunned and flattered. Each one pointed to or referred to a very short television film I directed a long time ago, which I had thought little about from its completion up to today, but which has caused, and apparently still is causing, a considerable stir in certain circles.The script for this film was sent to me one day during my time as a film director working for one of the many film companies which lived and lurked in almost every street and alleyway in London’s Soho at that time. It had been written by Christine Hermon, a Producer at what was then the Central Office of Information and for whom I had done quite a lot of television work. I was asked if I would read it with a view to directing it. It was to be a 90 second public information film for television. These short films – popularly known in the business as ‘fillers’ – were, unlike television commercials, transmitted for free and usually at times when there were vacant slots in the TV contractors’ commercials schedules. They have since acquired a rather unexpected popularity. Compilation DVD’s have been put together, reflecting the affectionate nostalgia with which they were often regarded, as indeed they apparently still are, especially – though by no means uniquely – by adults recalling them as part of their childhood.'

http://besonian.wordpress.com/2011/0...-lonely-water/
Working...
X