Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mid to late 70s horror/sci-fi series/drama, similar to armchair thriller ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mid to late 70s horror/sci-fi series/drama, similar to armchair thriller ??

I think I was about 8-10 years old when I saw this on tv, and its annoying me that I cant remember the name of it !! or what channel it was on. but what I can remember is there was an episode where the story was about a director filming a horror film (set in a small film studio), but he was not happy with the actor (wearing a monster suit) acting ability, and kept shouting cut all the time and screaming at the actor to show more aggression and be more aggresive, needless 2 say at the end of the shoot, the director of the show was over the moon with the actors performance, unfortunatly the actors performance was so good, he killed the actress!!!

another episode was something to do with a tree root, which looked like a baby. it was causing arguments between the couple,"who couldnt have children", because the woman was freaked out by the root, at the end of the programme it was actually alive!!!

does anybody else remember this series ?? I thought it might be "Armchair Thriller" but not so sure now

thanks for any response
    DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Sounds more like a horror film, or series to me Culnara

Comment

like tales of the unxpected ??

Hi Oggy, Certain it was a series, 100% sure it was not a film, always thought it was Armchair thriller, but there's a guy on e-bay selling
      some episodes of Armchair T, and he says the stories I described, are not from the programme, then I thought maybe it was Doomwatch but looking on internet, Doomwatch stories were envoiromental, biological disaster stories, then my mate suggested, Journey to the Unknown, but they are recorded in Black & White, and this programme was in colour, I asked him was he sure, then he tells me it was his grannys tv which was a Black & White set .... LOL. but they were recorded in 1970-1972 which is B and W.
      I have a Vaig memory of the starting credits, was like one word, elongaited, top of screen to btm, Black background with blue letters, cant remember the theme tune, or any more story lines, other than mentioned

driving me nuts now, cant sleep at night or nothing LOL

somebody must know it ????

Comment

I haven't seen it, (not that I remember, anyway), but is it "Beasts" by Nigel Kneale?

Comment

Could be Beasts, but Quatermass was way kooler.

Comment

Hi mate..

hmmm...

the only thing I can remember witha tree coming to life is in 'Tales that Witness madness', a 1973 Amicus style horror film with 4 tales set in a psychiatric clinic one of the tales is about A husband who regrets bringing a mysterious tree named "Mel" home, as the plant destroys his marriage -- and a whole lot more..it attacks his wife as its jealous of her (played by Joan Collins) as the tree does indeed become alive..lol...

the thing about the actor sounds vaguely familiar but i cant quite place it, sorry...

all the best...

Rab ;0)

Comment

'Tales that Witness madness'

Hi Rab,
              hhhmmm that DOES!!! sounds intriguing. I am sorry about description but I was really scraping the pits of my memory banks for this one, I thought it was a programme like sapphire n steel, but maybe i have been looking for the wrong style of programme.
              I shall do some investigating and let youz know how I get on, might be a while though, cause I'm stuck offshore jist noo :cry:

Cheers folks

Comment

back again

right, did a wee bit o checking, unfortunatly its not the right one
                http://www.eofftv.com/t/tal/tales_th...dness_main.htm
                but I do remember seeing this film years ago . although I had forgotten it LOL
                no, I'm still 100% it was a series, as I remember the programme being on for and about an hour......hmmmm... I think i just remembered something. I think there were adverts on during it ?? which would narrow down the channel to Grampian (itv) it was also definatly the seventies, cause i remember the fashion. i.e BIG collars on the shirts and tank tops etc.etc which reminds me, the quality of filming was like Crown Court LOL. seriously though, I always thought it was Armchair Thriller...as I remember it has very similar quality of filming.

keep thinkin folks!!!

on another note who remembers this, it came today !!
                http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/61152...searchsource=0

Comment

god, Im getting a bitty slow in my old age

god, Im getting a bitty slow in my old age................
                  But A GREAT BIG THANK YOU !!! Goes to OGGY !!!...
                  You were spot on !!! also thanks to everyone who replied !!!
                  Although one of my descriptions was pretty spot on... " Terror grips a film studio when an actor portraying famed monster 'The Dummy', and with personal problems, is confronted by the casting of the actor who his wife has run away with onto his latest picture. "

but my other description was way out " Terror strikes in a country cottage. What are the mummified remains of a strange creature found in an ancient urn in the walls? Every waking hour brings further horror for an expectant mother. "

LOL, and I thought it was a tree root he had dug up in the garden, LOL, s'funny how you remember things diffrently as time goes by. But then again I was only 7 years old at the time
                  You say you havent seen it M.I.K ??? I would highly recommend it !!!
                  While searching I did find another 70s tv programme which rang a bell, but didnt have my description of storylines,
                  its just called " THRILLER " it looks interesting also
                  to read about " BEASTS "...........
                  http://www.cult.tv/index.php?cm_id=863&cm_type=article
                  to buy it...........
                  http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/93082...s/Product.html I like Play.com

THANKS AGAIN abdy !!!!

Comment

oh The Ghosts of Motley Hall.... thank you thank you!
                    sigpic
                    Mrs Oggy
                    ~~~*~~~*~~~
                    Count your friends amongst the stars....
                    And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

The Ghosts of Motley Hall was kool, think it was on a sunday afternoon? With Arthur English amongst the ghosts.

Comment

ghosts of motley hall

LOL, nae bother MommaMystique, LOL @ OGGY,I can't remember that much info....................
                        But I do remember enjoying watching it

Comment

Truth Culnara and thats what its about memories and the enjoyment,t he smiles our past gives/gave us isn't it, good to remember.

Comment

Working...
                          X