Born Free TV Series and other Sunday night tv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Born Free TV Series and other Sunday night tv

Did anybody watch Born Free? I read that it was very unsuccessful, but I do remember it being on Sunday nights, typical Sunday feelgood tv.

I don't think I paid too much attention, it was more my sister's kind of thing, but I remember a few years later hearing that Joy Adamson had been killed in Africa and, my mind weirdly blurring the line between tv and reality, I thought they meant the lady in this show.

The Onedin Line I remember being a Sunday night thing, but again, mainly from the feem toon rather than watching the programme.

Planet of the Apes was Sunday nights too.

In the 80s, I remember watching Bergerac, and I both liked the programme but hated the closing theme because it meant bedtime and back to school in the morning. If I hadn't finished homework by the time the opening Bergerac theme was on, I was in trouble! Jersey looked really glamorous though, especially the episode in which Roxy Music's Avalon was used, one of my favourite songs ever.

Shoestring as well. Only hazy memories from the time, bur I bought some DVDs of both series on ioffer, and I really like it now. It's very slow compared to today's programmes, but well written, and Trevor Eve is excellent, as is his landlady/girlfriend/assistant (I think they deliberately muddy the waters on that dynamic so they can use her in different ways in the plot!)

Hart to Hart was a complete change on Sunday nights, the first action packed show I remember being on at this time. Loved it and would still watch it today. They are both legends.

What's your favourite Sunday night tv from the 70s/80s? (Inspired by the newspaper article on Downton v Homeland today, I wouldn't watch either, they both sound dire, specially 'Homeland'... when they describe something as 'dark', sorry, I don't wanna know! Life's dark enough without more misery on tv!)

Re: Born Free TV Series and other Sunday night tv

Remember watching and liking Born Free but i suppose you had to be into animals to appreciate it, Planet of the Apes was one of my all time faves especially the on with Urko trapped in an old subway tunnel with one of the humans. one Sunday tv show from the 80s that springs to mind is Shillingbury Tales it starred Robin Nedwell and Diane Keen and i think was on just before Bergerac.

Comment

Originally posted by sweep View Post
      Remember watching and liking Born Free but i suppose you had to be into animals to appreciate it, Planet of the Apes was one of my all time faves especially the on with Urko trapped in an old subway tunnel with one of the humans. one Sunday tv show from the 80s that springs to mind is Shillingbury Tales it starred Robin Nedwell and Diane Keen and i think was on just before Bergerac.
      I loved POTA aswell.Bought the tv series on dvd.Pity they only made 12episodes.Shillingbury tales was on about 1981.Great theme tune and I think one of the carry on team was a farmer in it.Same with this show as they only made half a dozen episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by lilbow73 View Post
        I loved POTA aswell.Bought the tv series on dvd.Pity they only made 12episodes.Shillingbury tales was on about 1981.Great theme tune and I think one of the carry on team was a farmer in it.Same with this show as they only made half a dozen episodes.
        That would be Jack Douglas, many of the cast were already household names so i imagine it had a pretty big budget for the time. despite being short lived there was a spin off show centered around and named after Bernard Cribbins character, Cuffy it also starred other members of the original Shillingbury cast including Jack Douglas and Linda Hayden although i don't remember ever watching this.

Comment

born free was very good i have fond memories of it.

also liked hart to hart very different from most sunday night telly.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

hart to hart wow i loved this show always remember the intro and when they met it was murder lol great show

Originally posted by darren View Post
            born free was very good i have fond memories of it.

also liked hart to hart very different from most sunday night telly.
            THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

The Sunday TV I remember would have been Anne Of Green Gables, Heidi, and Catweazle.

Comment

oh wow heidi story about a girl living in the swiss alps with her grandfather.
                i so remember this.

Originally posted by Hair Bear View Post
                The Sunday TV I remember would have been Anne Of Green Gables, Heidi, and Catweazle.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                X