Favourite TV Detective?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite TV Detective?

I'm not sure if this has been asked before...sorry if it has. Who was your fave 70's/80's TV detective? Here are some reminders to choose from.

Columbo
    MacMillan and Wife
    Tenafly
    Morse
    Banacek
    McCloud
    Dixon of Dock Green ( not a detective but can be included )
    Frost
    Kojak
    Tenspeed and Brownshoe (Early Jeff Goldblum series )
    Jack Regan ( Sweeney )
    Frank Marker (Public Eye )
    Van der Valk

There are many more....mine is obviously Columbo !!

Any others?

Re: Favourite TV Detective?

dempsey and makepeace
    kojak
    cagney and lacey
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Columbo would be on top of the list
      Bergerac
      The Sweeney

Comment

I like Morse the best.

Don't forget Ken Boon.

Comment

Eddie Shoestring
          Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Comment

Van Der Valk & especially the iconic theme tune Eye Level (or was it High Level?)
            sigpic
            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

David & Maddie from Moonlighting
              Remington Steele
              Magnum P.I.

Comment

I was busy chatting away about this here last night when I hit some key by mistake and POOF! the whole page disappeared and I landed on the moon. Seriously miffed I returned to start again, only for something similar to happen again when I clicked on the A/A icon top left! I tell you, these newbies! So... Deep breath... I will try once again this morning! I had two things in mind. First to decide which were my favourites at the time and secondly to add any missing ones for your list @Cooldeepblue

I started out sulking in the 70s because they ditched The Saint and The Avengers whereas Ironside and Hawaii Five-O continued. The 70s were dominated by US series Columbo, Kojak and the Rockford Files. I believe I preferred the James Garner character, but then it was all more action, charm and humour, compared to Telly Savalas's and Peter Falk's improbable characters, cerebral meanderings and ham acting). I was racking my brains and had got as far as Charlie's Angels, Shaft, McCloud, Starsky and Hutch and Hart to Hart but then started to wonder about which shows actually qualify. I then cheated and googled to check which actually are 70s and 80s because I did not remember which appeared when and it is all mixed up in my head soup! ) Should we be pedantic about them being "detectives" and "law enforcement agents" or can some of the mystery and adventure type, even fantasy shows be included?
                There are two German language series which I would include in my personal favourites, not least because they are still going. Der Alte (1976-) and Tatort (aka Crime Scene in English, 1970-) especially the ones featuring the characters of Horst Schimanski & Christian Thanner, played by Götz Georg & Eberhard Feik. Großstadtrevier is a cops series (1986-present) along the line of Dixon of Dock Green set in Hamburg. But I digress...
                I have copied and pasted the following based on the Wikipedia List of police television dramas. I added a couple, but have never heard of half of them myself and who knows whether it is a complete list or not?
                Full List to contemplate:
                Adam-12, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Agatha Christie Hour, Agatha Christie's Partners in Crime, Agatha Christie's Poirot, Der Alte, Amy Prentiss, Automan, An Inspector Calls, Banace, Banyon, Baretta, Barlow, Barlow at Large, Barnaby Jones, Barney Miller, The Beiderbecke Tapes, Bergerac, Beverly Hills Buntz, The Bill, B. J. and the Bear, The Blue Knight, Booker, Boon, Bulman, Cagney & Lacey, Callan, Campion, Cannon, C.A.T.S. Eyes, Charlie's Angels, Dalgleish, Dempsey & Makepeace, Derrick, Dick Spanner, P.I., Division 4, Dixon of Dock Green, Dragnet, The Equaliser, The F.B.I., Father Brown, Father Dowling Mysteries, Forever Knight, The Gentle Touch, Griff, Hardcastle and McCormick, Harry O, Hart to Hart, Hawaii Five-O, Hawaiian Heat, Hazell, Hec Ramsey, Hill Street Blues, Homicide, Hot Shots, Hunter, Hunter's Walk, In the Heat of the Night, The Highwayman, Inspector Morse, Inspector Wexford, Ironside, It Takes a Thief, Jake and the Fatman, Jason King, Jigsaw, J. J. Starbuck, Joe Forrester, Juliet Bravo, Kaz, Der Kommissar, Lanigan's Rabbi, The Law and Harry McGraw, Leg Work, Link Men, Longstreet, Lord Peter Wimsey, MacGruder and Loud, MacGyver, Madigan, Magnum, P.I., Mancuso, FBI, Mannix, Matlock, Matlock Police, Matt Houston, McCloud, McCoy, McMillan & Wife, Miami Vice, Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer, Midnight Caller, The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo, Miss Marple, The Mod Squad, Moonlighting, Mortimer's Patch, Most Wanted, Murder, She Wrote, The New Avengers, New Scotland Yard, Night Court, Night Heat, Owen Marshall: Counselor at Law, O'Hara, Paul Temple, Philip Marlowe, Private Eye, Poirot, Police Story, Police Woman, The Protectors, Public Eye, The Persuaders, Quincy, M.E., Randall and Hopkirk Deceased, Remington Steele, Riptide, The Rockford Files, Rockliffe's Babies, The Rookies, Rumpole of the Bailey, The Ruth Rendell Mysteries, Sapphire and Steel, Scarecrow and Mrs. King, Search, Second Verdict, Seletar Robbery, Shaft, Shark in the Park, Shoestring, Silent Number, Silent Witness, Simon & Simon, The Singing Detective, Sledge Hammer, SOKO 5113, Solo One, Softly, Softly: Taskforce, Sonny Spoon, Snoops, Special Branch, Spenser: For Hire, Star Cops, Starsky and Hutch, Stingray, Street Legal, The Streets of San Francisco,The Sweeney, Switch, Taggart, Target, Tatort, Tenafly, The Agatha Christie Hour, The A-Team, The Beiderbecke Tapes, The Bill, The Chinese Detective, The F.B.I., The Gentle Touch, The Law and Harry McGraw, The Last Precinct, The Mod Squad (USA, 1968-1973), The New Avengers, The Professionals, The Protectors, The Rockford Files, The Rookies, The Singing Detective, The Streets of San Francisco, The Sweeney, T.J. Hooker, True Blue, Van der Valk, Vega$, Wolcott, Wolf, Wiseguy, The XYY Man, Z-Cars.

Last edited by Piglet; 24-11-2014, 17:40.

Comment

Rats! Spent all day on that list... Now notice it is "favourite detective". Not "favourite detective series"... I really should not go online after my bedtime!!

Comment

Never mind Piglet; you did well; thanks for all the hard work
                    sigpic
                    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mc View Post
                      Eddie Shoestring
                      Yes used to like that programme

Comment

Thanks, Twocky61
                        A real conversation stopper by the looks of it! Ha! Ha! I cannot even read it because the type is so small. I was not allowed back to edit either. Oh well. Beginner's boob and all that. I wonder what copy and paste would do? Aha! This looks better...

Full List to contemplate:
                        Adam-12, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Agatha Christie Hour, Agatha Christie's Partners in Crime, Agatha Christie's Poirot, Der Alte, Amy Prentiss, Automan, An Inspector Calls, Banace, Banyon, Baretta, Barlow, Barlow at Large, Barnaby Jones, Barney Miller, The Beiderbecke Tapes, Bergerac, Beverly Hills Buntz, The Bill, B. J. and the Bear, The Blue Knight, Booker, Boon, Bulman, Cagney & Lacey, Callan, Campion, Cannon, C.A.T.S. Eyes, Charlie's Angels, Dalgleish, Dempsey & Makepeace, Derrick, Dick Spanner, P.I., Division 4, Dixon of Dock Green, Dragnet, The Equaliser, The F.B.I., Father Brown, Father Dowling Mysteries, Forever Knight, The Gentle Touch, Griff, Hardcastle and McCormick, Harry O, Hart to Hart, Hawaii Five-O, Hawaiian Heat, Hazell, Hec Ramsey, Hill Street Blues, Homicide, Hot Shots, Hunter, Hunter's Walk, In the Heat of the Night, The Highwayman, Inspector Morse, Inspector Wexford, Ironside, It Takes a Thief, Jake and the Fatman, Jason King, Jigsaw, J. J. Starbuck, Joe Forrester, Juliet Bravo, Kaz, Der Kommissar, Lanigan's Rabbi, The Law and Harry McGraw, Leg Work, Link Men, Longstreet, Lord Peter Wimsey, MacGruder and Loud, MacGyver, Madigan, Magnum, P.I., Mancuso, FBI, Mannix, Matlock, Matlock Police, Matt Houston, McCloud, McCoy, McMillan & Wife, Miami Vice, Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer, Midnight Caller, The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo, Miss Marple, The Mod Squad, Moonlighting, Mortimer's Patch, Most Wanted, Murder, She Wrote, The New Avengers, New Scotland Yard, Night Court, Night Heat, Owen Marshall: Counselor at Law, O'Hara, Paul Temple, Philip Marlowe, Private Eye, Poirot, Police Story, Police Woman, The Protectors, Public Eye, The Persuaders, Quincy, M.E., Randall and Hopkirk Deceased, Remington Steele, Riptide, The Rockford Files, Rockliffe's Babies, The Rookies, Rumpole of the Bailey, The Ruth Rendell Mysteries, Sapphire and Steel, Scarecrow and Mrs. King, Search, Second Verdict, Seletar Robbery, Shaft, Shark in the Park, Shoestring, Silent Number, Silent Witness, Simon & Simon, The Singing Detective, Sledge Hammer, SOKO 5113, Solo One, Softly, Softly: Taskforce, Sonny Spoon, Snoops, Special Branch, Spenser: For Hire, Star Cops, Starsky and Hutch, Stingray, Street Legal, The Streets of San Francisco,The Sweeney, Switch, Taggart, Target, Tatort, Tenafly, The Agatha Christie Hour, The A-Team, The Beiderbecke Tapes, The Bill, The Chinese Detective, The F.B.I., The Gentle Touch, The Law and Harry McGraw, The Last Precinct, The Mod Squad (USA, 1968-1973), The New Avengers, The Professionals, The Protectors, The Rockford Files, The Rookies, The Singing Detective, The Streets of San Francisco, The Sweeney, T.J. Hooker, True Blue, Van der Valk, Vega$, Wolcott, Wolf, Wiseguy, The XYY Man, Z-Cars.

Comment

Yes you have been busy piglet

Comment

ooh yes the equalizer as well played by edward woodward such a fantastic show.

ive watched it on yt as well.

remember watching it when at school.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Columbo.

Columbo is ace. Everyone else is Fleetwood Mac.

Comment

Working...
                              X