Faded Memory of a Less Well Known Childrens Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faded Memory of a Less Well Known Childrens Show

Can anyone help me remember a children's TV show (probably BBC, probably late 70s or early 80s)?

My clearest memory is of the opening titles, which are set to a rollicking musical theme as the camera pans over classic English countryside to focus on a young boy running down a hillside towards a canal with a narrow boat.

However, the show is actually based on a series of children's books in which the young hero has 'magical' things happen to him - such as being able to see other people's thoughts in speech bubbles over their heads (or, possibly, to be able to stop time briefly - though this is not Bernard's Watch, which is much more recent...).

It's been driving me mad off and on for years...!

Help with Memory of a Less Well Known Childrens Show

Hi,

For years I have been trying to remember a children's book series which became a short lived BBC children's show in the late 70s or early 80s. My clearest memory of the TV show is the opening titles, which feature a rollicking theme tune as the camera pans over chocolate box English countryside eventually focussing on a young boy as he barrels down a field towards a canal.

The premise of the series is that unusual/magical things happen to our hero (the school boy of the titles) in everyday situations. In the books, one of these is that he becomes able to 'see' other people's thoughts as speech bubbles over their heads. He may also be able to 'freeze' time or motion in one episode (although this is not Bernard's Watch, which is a much more recent show...).

Alas, the detail of the TV series escapes me, although I vaguely feel that the canal or a barge might feature a little. I think the TV series may not closely follow the books in this respect as I recall the books as being based in a town, rather than in the country...

Comment

Re: Help with Memory of a Less Well Known Childrens Show

The book series sounds like Bobby Brewster by H.E. Todd. I loved them when I was little.
      Bobby Brewster's Torch has a story The Think Balloons, which is probably the one you remember.

I'm not aware of it ever being filmed, but it was on Jackanory a few times, read out by the author.

Comment

Re: Help with Memory of a Less Well Known Childrens Show

Originally posted by I. R. Fincham View Post
        The book series sounds like Bobby Brewster by H.E. Todd. I loved them when I was little.
        Bobby Brewster's Torch has a story The Think Balloons, which is probably the one you remember.

I'm not aware of it ever being filmed, but it was on Jackanory a few times, read out by the author.
        You're right! The stories are indeed definitely Bobby Brewster... I would have been around for the Jackanory readings but really date my telly watching from the 70s so most likely read the books myself at the library. I will look them out as my grandson is approaching the age I'd enjoy reading them to him ;-)

That leaves the TV series problem... I am now thinking I have merged two memories together based on either a common surname in the title or (heavens!) the main character being called Bobby... The TV series is definitely late 70s/early 80s...

Comment

Working...
        X