Ryan and Ronnie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryan and Ronnie

Probably the most successful comedy duo from Wales to get a hit comedy series on the BBC during the early 70's. Ryan Davies and Ronnie Williams were already well known to Welsh audiences and had 3 Welsh language series before they made the move over to make an English version of their series in 1971. I wouldn't have thought their comedy would go down well with English audiences but it did and they were rewarded with 3 series before the show ended in 1973. Ryan was the clown of the duo with Ronnie playing the straight man. They had an ongoing spoof soap opera called "Our House" which even had Ken Dodd appearing. I don't remember the English series all that well but the Welsh series has been repeated over the years on S4C. Ryan Davies was also a very good singer and his son Arwyn took up acting to play a bad boy role in the soap opera Pobol Y Cwm for many years. Ryan died suddenly in 1977 of an asthma attack in the USA and his partner Ronnie had a sad ending when he took his own life after suffering from depression in 1997.

Attached Files

Re: Ryan and Ronnie

I vaguely remember this show, mostly the sketches where one was dressed as a Welsh housewife. The presence of Ken Dodd also rings a very faint bell.

Comment

Working...
    X