• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donald the Great
    replied
    Re: Television of Yesteryear.

Originally posted by tex View Post
    Gotta agree with Staffs ref Cannon and ball, just annoying but so were little and large...TWO RONNIES! best double act ever.
    Two Ronnies for me two. Hale & Pace were good too. Morecombe annoyed me. I always hoped Ernie would whack Morecombe one in the kisser.
    Last edited by Donald the Great; 01-11-2018, 03:06.

Leave a comment:

• Moonraker
    replied

The Ghosts of Motley Hall.
    Fantastic series made 1976 starring Arthur English. The series was about ghosts living in a disused mansion.

Barney Miller.
    Many may not recall this american sitcom. A comedy about a precinct.

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

Catweazle from the early 70s about a Norman era wizard who accidentally transports himself into the modern age. Geoffrey Bayldon played Catweazle and I think there was a strip in Look-In.

Bless this House. Very popular and long running series with Sid James, Diana Coupland, Sally Geeson and Robin Stewart. Sid played salesman Sid Abbot in a family sitcom that only came to an end when Sid sadly passed away. There was a big screen version in 1972 with Peter Butterworth playing Sid's friend and neighbour, and Robin Askwith replacing Stewart as Sid's son. Askwith gets to romance the lovely Carol Hawkins.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

Originally posted by tex View Post
    great sketch george, not heard of lose a million
    And you don't want to hear about Lose a Million either - it was rubbish.

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

Originally posted by george 1978 View Post
    the two ronnies mastermind parody "answering the question before last" subject - i am sure that it was the inspiration for that terrible 1993 carlton quiz show lose a million.
    great sketch george, not heard of lose a million

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

The Two Ronnies Mastermind parody "Answering the Question Before Last" subject - I am sure that it was the inspiration for that terrible 1993 Carlton quiz show Lose a Million.

Leave a comment:

• darren
    replied

Two ronnies was great stuff some fantastic sketches like 4 candles or was it handles.lol

barker also in porridge and corbett in sorry 42 episodes between 81 and 88.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

Originally posted by staffslad View Post

Call My Bluff was very witty.
    It was amazing when it came to obscure words - where did the researchers get them all from?

One thing that I was going to say but forgotten previously, was the fact that in Nottingham City Centre, there is a street called Byard Lane. The word "Byard" was so obscure and forgotten over time that the word had actually made it onto an edition of a Bob Holness era Call My Bluff in the 1990s - the word was something to do with the saddle of a horse dating from the 18th century, and at long last I had found out what that word (for what the local street was named after) had meant!

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

Call My Bluff was very witty. Frank Muir and Patrick Campbell as team captains, later Arthur Marshall after Campbell's death. Robert Robinson was quizmaster--remember him from Ask the Family? A very simple concept but with Muir, Campbell and Marshall, the programme was always amusing.

It's great that episodes of Call My Bluff are on YouTube because thanks to the Internet, one can now cheat and find out via Google the correct definition of the obscure words that are featured! And that concept works most of the time! I bet that in the days before the Internet the words featured were indeed really obscure, although either Robin Ray or Robert Robinson said that they were featured in the OED which I would assume would be slightly familiar to people if that was actually the case. And I bet that words like "chav" would have probably been featured back in Ray or Robinson's day as well.

Cannon and Ball. No, sorry, I didn't like this double act at all. I just found Bobby Ball to be deeply annoying with his brace pulling and catchphrase of "Rock on, Tommy." I must preferred Little and Large.
    I grew up in an ITV household, hence a 1980s Saturday night diet of Russ Abbot, Ted Rogers, Jeremy Beadle, and yes, Cannon and Ball.

I was going to book tickets to see Cannon and Ball for my 40th birthday this year when they were appearing for a season on Thursday evenings at the Spa Theatre in Bridlington, but looking at the What's On pages of various theatre websites I actually saw something listed that was happening at one of the theatres in the south on that date which sounded a lot more interesting, and so I booked tickets for that instead. The thing is that at least Cannon and Ball are both still alive - if you think about so many double acts who are no longer with us, or one of them have now gone (usually the funny man rather than the straight man it always seems to be). Are Little and Large still performing? - or Hale and Pace for that matter?

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

Gotta agree with Staffs ref Cannon and ball, just annoying but so were little and large...TWO RONNIES! best double act ever.

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

On the subject of Steve Forrest, he starred in a mid-70s series called S.W.A.T. that some may remember.

Call My Bluff was very witty. Frank Muir and Patrick Campbell as team captains, later Arthur Marshall after Campbell's death. Robert Robinson was quizmaster--remember him from Ask the Family? A very simple concept but with Muir, Campbell and Marshall, the programme was always amusing.

Callan was very dour and downbeat. No glam locations and ladies for Callan to romance, apart from Hunter's secretary, who was as icily cold as her boss. Anthony Valentine played Toby Meers, Callan's slightly psychopathic junior. Meers was replaced by Cross, played by Patrick Mower after Valentine left the show.

Mower starred in a series around 1976/77 that was the BBC's answer to The Sweeney. It was called Target and came in for some strong criticism due to it being extremely violent. The second series toned down the violence, so it is series 1 that you really need to see.

Cannon. Yes, they didn't come any bigger than big Frank. I really liked this series. Due to William Conrad being so big there were not too many foot chases and extended fights, but Frank could certainly handle himself. I wish this series was shown more often.

Cannon and Ball. No, sorry, I didn't like this double act at all. I just found Bobby Ball to be deeply annoying with his brace pulling and catchphrase of "Rock on, Tommy." I must preferred Little and Large.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Call My Bluff (UK) Call My Bluff was necessary viewing if you were an intellectual-type interested in learning the derivation of words now deemed superflouous in modern day society.I

Call To Glory ...

Callan Played by Edward Woodward, Callan was a British Top Agent working for the S.I.S who had a snout called Lonely. ...

Candid Camera (USA) Candid Camera is a long-running television series, created and produced by Allen Funt, which initially appeared on radio as Candid Microphone in the 1940s. After a series of theatrical film shorts, also titled Candid Microphone, Funt's concept came to television ...

Cannon Frank Cannon, private investigator, was played by William Conrad. At the end of every episode, he cooked a meal for his clients. The series was a Quinn Martin production. ...

Cannon and Ball Comedians Tommy Cannon and Bobby Ball burst on to British TV screens in 1978 on Bruce Forsyth's Big Night. The former welders from Oldham soon rose to fame and became big stars with their own TV show Cannon and Ball. ...

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Arthur of the Britons was an early 1970s ITV children's drama depicting a decidedly grimy and muddy landscape in post-Roman Britain. There were no gallant knights in armour, fairytale castles or glamorously dressed ladies here. Oliver Tobias played Arthur, and was ably supported by actors of the time like Brian Blessed, Rupert Davies and Jack Watson.

The Baron was a mid 1960s ITC adventure series starring Steve Forrest as an antiques dealer who worked on the side for British Intelligence. Sue Lloyd played his assistant. Like most ITC series it had a stonking theme tune.
    I usually steer clear of Uk shows with Yank leads. But I liked Steve Forrest so watched and quite enjoyed The Baron. Little like The Avengers.
    Ok another list folks.

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

Arthur of the Britons was an early 1970s ITV children's drama depicting a decidedly grimy and muddy landscape in post-Roman Britain. There were no gallant knights in armour, fairytale castles or glamorously dressed ladies here. Oliver Tobias played Arthur, and was ably supported by actors of the time like Brian Blessed, Rupert Davies and Jack Watson.

The Baron was a mid 1960s ITC adventure series starring Steve Forrest as an antiques dealer who worked on the side for British Intelligence. Sue Lloyd played his assistant. Like most ITC series it had a stonking theme tune.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Elizabeth Montgomery was another I had a teen crush on. Yes those pins with the short minis. She did not always wear a bra in the later episodes either.

Never got Barlow or Barlow At Large in Oz. We did have Bergerac tho.. and i enjoyed it. Never tire of John Nettles. Watched every one of his Midsomer Murders too.. twice in fact. I have often heard of Beadle at Large in the odd sitcom. Victor Meldrew has spoken his name in One Foot.

Barrier Reef was ok.. the plots were a touch thin and the model like actors got a bit on my nerves. Could not fault the spectacular location shoots in the Whitsunday Islands.
    Last edited by Donald the Great; 27-10-2018, 02:54.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X