The criteria of actors listed in the credits at the end of programmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The criteria of actors listed in the credits at the end of programmes

I always thought that anyone who appeared in an episode of a drama, film, etc, (unless they were an extra of course), would automatically be mentioned in the credits at the end of the programme. An actor who is seen and has lines will automatically be listed.

On the other hand, an actor who appears but doesn't have any lines don't usually get a credit, while a voice on the other end of the telephone or on a TV or radio but is not seen, would. Even youngsters who are too young don't get credits, probably due to the multiple number of people who can play them to avoid confusion. Regular cast members of Coronation Street often get credited even if they don't have much to say in the episode, and even babies who are too young to speak get a mention as well. I suppose that being heard is more important than being seen, probably because voices are more distinguished as characters - radio plays are an "all or nothing" thing where voices have to count as characters, otherwise the character cannot exist in the production. I was an extra in something which went out on TV back in the 1990s and I was a million miles away from my name being mentioned at the end!

I think that this has extended to characters such as Madge Allsop, Dame Edna's sidekick whose real name was hardly ever revealed. Other characters were like that as well, although Mr Bean did speak a little bit and was the main protagonist in Atkinson's series.

I have always wondered why having lines was more apparent to be credited on television rather than just being seen in view?
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

I would imagine it has something to do with Equity, the actors' union. If you have lines/a speaking part in a film (whether it is on or off camera) you would, I think, either need to be a member or, possibly, gain some sort off a temporary pass with them. The result of this process would mean you would be entitled, according to their rules, to a credit of some kind on the closing titles.

Comment

You could be right - it does annoy me slightly that some actors participate prominently in a show but are not given the credit that they deserve at the end.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
      X