Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please! Trying to identify late night drama

Hi there,

This is my first post on here and I'm hoping someone will be able to help me identify this TV drama series. I can't remember if it was American or Australian (I have a feeling it spanned both continents but I may have two shows confused!). It was set during the present day (Late 80s, early 90s) as well as constant flashbacks to the 60s and centred around a divorced couple. It was on late at night. I'm not sure if it was ITV (HTV in my case at the time) or Channel 4, but I think it was on after Prisoner Cell Block H. This would have been around 91/92ish?

Some random things I remember -

There was one episode where, during one of the 60s flashbacks, a suitcase was found with various things like a dagger, candles etc.... I recall they were trying to figure out who it could belong to. Near the end of the episode a rather prim and proper gentleman collected the suitcase and subtly muttered "Hail Satan" before leaving.

I think, during the "present day" part the divorced couple's daughter or son was getting married. They danced together and one of them said "What happened to us?" (That's a scene thats probably been in every drama that involves a divorced couple, let's face it)

I'm absolutely convinced that the theme tune was Elvis Costello's Accidents Will Happen. Either that or it featured heavily in the show. It was a slower version and it may or may not have been "Their song". There seems to be no trace of the song ever being used in anything besides the film E.T. online, which I find very hard to believe. I've been trying to find this slower version for years.

At some point during the 60s the couple try to get into the free love thing and it causes jealousy and heartache for them.

That's all I can remember. Just odd flashes of disconnected scenes.

Hope someone can help!

Thanks!

SF
    Last edited by SpleneticusFlumius; 15-12-2021, 11:30.

You are possibly thinking of Dream On.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_On_(TV_series)

Dream On is an American situation comedy about the family life, romantic life, and career of Martin Tupper, a divorced New York City book editor played by Brian Benben. The show distinctively interjected clips from older black-and-white television series to punctuate Tupper's feelings or thoughts. It was created by Marta Kauffman and David Crane, the team who would create the show Friends. It ran for six seasons on HBO between 1990 and 1996.
    It was a comedy, rather than a drama, and the flashbacks were clips of old TV shows. But the date is right, and it did centre around a divorced couple.

Here's the theme tune. Not quite Elvis Costello.
    Last edited by I. R. Fincham; 16-12-2021, 03:57.

Comment

Sadly not. I do remember Dream On, though. It used to cut to weird little snippets, a bit like Reg Perrin used to, if I remember correctly?

This one was serious/light hearted. When I say flashbacks, I mean where half or more of the episode was set in the 60s or 70s etc. It did seem to involve a lot of reminiscing about the course of their relationship etc
      Last edited by SpleneticusFlumius; 16-12-2021, 13:55.

Comment

Working...
      X