Boy Dominic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boy Dominic

Hello, A newbie here asking for help for my daughters sake and she is knocking 40 now. In the 70s there was a childrens serial made by Yorkshire Television called Boy Dominic with a follow on series called Dominic as the lad had grown up. It was set in the 1800s and starred Richard Todd, and Brian Blessed and I have finally tracked down a paper back book of this serial My question is, is does anyone have or know where I can get hold of a video or DvD of this series or indeed any other format. My daughters mental state is in jeopardy as is mine as figment of the imagination springs to mind. I cannot believe that with the two actors mentioned there are not some copies of these programmes around. Please help Regards Maltin

Re: Boy Dominic

Boy Dominic, with 12 years old Murray Dale in the title role and also starring Richard Todd, Hildegarde Neil and Brian Blessed, was a Yorkshire Television production filmed in 1973 and first transmitted on the ITV network in thirteen weekly episodes between Sunday, March 24th and Sunday, June 16th, 1974. Unfortunately, it has so far never been released on either video or DVD. It should be, because it was a wonderfully made serial. A second series was aired in 1976 which dropped the "Boy" from the title and had a much older Dominic. I never watched the second series, so I can't comment on that...except to say it's not available on video or DVD either.

I have a friend who was able to buy the entire first series on DVD privately from ITV. They charged him over £300 for the transfer, but when he received the DVD's, he was very disappointed to find that although the picture and sound quality was otherwise excellent, the transfer had a large, oblong time code over the top half of the image all the way through each episode which cut the actors heads off every time they stood up. Incensed by this, he sent the DVD's back and demanded a refund of his £312, which they sent him. I suppose that ITV had put the large time code on the picture for sale to private individuals, so that they couldn't make copies of the DVD's and sell them. But in effect, this large time code rendered the serial unwatchable on these discs.
    Last edited by DavidRayner; 08-02-2009, 15:23. Reason: Typing error

Comment

What an extraordinary thing! And I didn't know it was possible to buy stuff from ITV like that.

I loved the serial and am hoping it comes out on DVD sometime. Or gets posted up on a certain 'tube'

Comment

I doubt that it will appear on YouTube or a similar site until it is released officially on DVD. As far as I know, the first series hasn't been shown on television since 1974 and there were no domestic VCR's in those days, so nobody could have taped it.

The reason that series like this cost so much to buy privately from ITV is that each transfer is done specially for their "Private and Personal Customers", as they call them and they don't simply pull a copy off the shelf. Boy Dominic was supplied in a box set of four DVD's that together contained all thirteen episodes of the serial. For anyone who can afford it, the people to contact are:

Granada International,
        Operating and Servicing,
        ITV plc,
        Unit 1,
        Perivale Industrial Park,
        Middlesex,
        UB6 7RL

Telephone: 020 8799 7802

And the best of British luck.
        Last edited by DavidRayner; 23-02-2009, 13:42. Reason: Omission

Comment

Some people will already know, but for those who do not, the DVD is now available.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boy-Dominic-...1&sr=8-1-spell

I've just received my copy, and although I've only watched the first two episodes, I'm finding that it easily matches my memories, and is a complete delight.

Comment

I watched the whole series and thought it was excellent. I wonder if the sequal, 'Dominic', will ever be released.
            Last edited by Marine Boy; 06-02-2011, 01:29.

Comment

o must say i dont remember this MB.
              but it is over thirty yrs ago.

it sure looks real good.
              i see mr blessed is in it.
              think i might have to get this myself.

thanks MB.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Here is the theme tune to Boy Dominic from youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tvaudioc...54/dK4IAnlzjAs

Comment

Working...
                X