Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fireball xl5

Default fireball xl5

This played on the early Saturday morning slots for me in the 1980's. It was the only puppet show that was in black and white but looks modern (all the other Anderson programmes like Captain Scarlett and Thunderbirds were in colour). Some of the programmes were in black and white, though some seemed to have been transferred to colour.It was a lot of fun and unlike black and white movies that I found boring, just because they were in black and white, I liked that this was in black and white. The series is set between the years 2062 and 2063, and spaceship Fireball XL5 is featured as each episode follows it's adventures. Though who would call a space ship "fireball" is a mystery, it would make the pilot and passengers quite jittery.Fireball was commanded by Colonel Steve Zodiac of the World Space Patrol. and the illustrious crew included Doctor Venus, a doctor of space medicine (That's right - space medicine); Engineer Professor Matthew Matic and co-pilot Robert, a robot.Here's a Fireball XL5 fact: Robert was the only character in an Anderson series that was actually voiced by Anderson himself.

More...

Default Re: fireball xl5

The last time I recall this series being shown would have been summer holiday weekday mornings on ITV in 1984 or 1985. Great title music and end song. Wasn't Robert the robot recycled for at least one episode of Thunderbirds? I seem to remember Brains talking to something very similar to Robert in an episode.

I remember one episode of Thunderbirds had some robot security guards that looked like Robert.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    I remember one episode of Thunderbirds had some robot security guards that looked like Robert.

I think I know the one you mean...something about a guy trapped in a vault with the robot guards protecting it. Not sure if that was the one I was thinking of. I thought the robot had been built by Brains and it was an integral part of the episode plot, maybe being the one who saves the day, but it is rather hazy.

Quote Originally Posted by www.doyouremember.co.uk View Post
    This played on the early Saturday morning slots for me in the 1980's. It was the only puppet show that was in black and white but looks modern (all the other Anderson programmes like Captain Scarlett and Thunderbirds were in colour). Some of the programmes were in black and white, though some seemed to have been transferred to colour.It was a lot of fun and unlike black and white movies that I found boring, just because they were in black and white, I liked that this was in black and white. The series is set between the years 2062 and 2063, and spaceship Fireball XL5 is featured as each episode follows it's adventures. Though who would call a space ship "fireball" is a mystery, it would make the pilot and passengers quite jittery.Fireball was commanded by Colonel Steve Zodiac of the World Space Patrol. and the illustrious crew included Doctor Venus, a doctor of space medicine (That's right - space medicine); Engineer Professor Matthew Matic and co-pilot Robert, a robot.Here's a Fireball XL5 fact: Robert was the only character in an Anderson series that was actually voiced by Anderson himself.

More...
    I remember it from the late 60s and yes it was shot in black and white along with "Supercar" starring mike mercury and zooney the rabid chimp. Hillarious that fireball xl5 would take off from a skateboard pushed down a hill. Great theme song by Barry gray (i think).Supercar however was not a car but a plane (go figure).

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    I remember it from the late 60s and yes it was shot in black and white along with "Supercar" starring mike mercury and zooney the rabid chimp. Hillarious that fireball xl5 would take off from a skateboard pushed down a hill. Great theme song by Barry gray (i think).Supercar however was not a car but a plane (go figure).

Zooney? Didn't Venus have some kind of strange alien pet as well?

At the start of each episode, Steve Zodiac and Venus would ride their hover-bikes aboard Fireball XL5. Anderson had them doing that to prevent having to show the puppets walking as it looked so unconvincing. Those hover-bikes were used other times as well where walking would have been problematic. They were also shown being used on Thunderbirds at least once.

In the sixties we were glued to ITVs showings of the Andersons tv supermarionation series from Twizzle thru Four feather falls to Thunderbirds and Captain scarlett, Fireball xl5 was another exciting half hour for us kids, nothing like it on BBC,pure entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by angliaknight View Post
    In the sixties we were glued to ITVs showings of the Andersons tv supermarionation series from Twizzle thru Four feather falls to Thunderbirds and Captain scarlett, Fireball xl5 was another exciting half hour for us kids, nothing like it on BBC,pure entertainment.
    All great stuff, other honourable mentions include space patrol, Joe 90, Stingray and torchy the battery boy!...anybody remember "secret service" which featured the voice talents of Stanley unwin?

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    All great stuff, other honourable mentions include space patrol, Joe 90, Stingray and torchy the battery boy!...anybody remember "secret service" which featured the voice talents of Stanley unwin?
    Yes, I remember Secret Service. I think it came after Joe 90, and I think it was shown on sunday afternoons. It was maybe the oddest of Anderson's shows. The guy who got shrunk was called Matt and Stanley Unwin would carry him around in a special briefcase. The organisation they worked for was called P.R.I.E.S.T. and Unwin would be seen as himself and in puppet form.

Strange mixture of live action and puppets, iirc.
    Dont forget their foray in to live action series.