Re: The News Of The World

Good riddance to bad journalism.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
        Good riddance to bad journalism.
        it was awful what had being going on.

hacking into peoples phones etc.

we all deserve our privacy although the way things are going we will have no privacy in a few yrs.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Murdochs to blame. Period. He had a mandate of 'scandal, scandal, scandal' thats what he wanted and it pressurised the journo's into acting on it-OR ELSE! Rebekka Brook should be sacked but I'm sure she'd kick up a real legal storm with Murdoch as she knows full well his culpability in the matter, thats why he hasn't sacked her...The hacking has probably dug up dirt on Politicians-no surprise there then-and thats why the Govt are being so tentative over all the implications....I wouldn't be surprised.

The problem is that Media and Govt are intertwined now, i.e. remember the 92 eve of election front page on the Sun or NOTW with 'IF KINNOCK WINS WILL THE LAST PERSON IN BRITAIN TURN OFF THE LIGHTS!'....

He's been a 'political kingmaker'. He's like William Randolph Hearst and to paraphrase his mandates been one of 'You provide the scandal, I'll provide the headlines'...Hes clever, he owns The Times, The Independent and The Sun and its interesting how he's downplayed their connections in the scandal with the NOTW...He can argue that BSKYB is 'his' really, he owns Sky, he created Sky News so its a tad hypocritical for subscribers to yammer on hes awful when a lot of us, including myself, have Sky. He can legally argue that 'this matter happened via other staff, not him and the prejudice he's incurring colours the 'right and proper person' legality in terms of obtaining full ownership. Oh he'll win over total control and in a few years the politicians will rue messing with him as they have made an enemy out of him for the time being...all sad really and incidental of illustrating how UK Govt doesn't have the power to destroy people like him anymore...shame.

Comment

Don't know about you lot but there could be a major storm coming in the British newspaper industry.....
            WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vanhelsing View Post
              Don't know about you lot but there could be a major storm coming in the British newspaper industry.....
              Yeah!!! This is a 'newsworthy' story! Ironic how Murdoch's mandate for muck raking has led to this! Last night the news mentioned News Corps thinking of selling off ALL his UK papers! I wouldn't be surprised if the board of directors try and oust him and any of his other sprogs to save their bacon, profitability and....hmm, reputation as a company...I'm begining to actually believe Murdoch's done and dusted and certainly won't be able to buy BSKYB now....especially since Milly Dowlers Mum even called for Rebekka Brook to resign also....serves them both right.

Comment

It is truly terriblewhat the NOTW did by hacking into phones - totaly deplorable in-fact i'd say but sadly I will miss the paper on a Sunday. It was brilliant for it's Football Reports and I loved the Soap gossip they got before most other papers (Daily Star Sunday possibly excluded).

I sure sure will miss it on a Sunday and can not see another Sunday paper getting near it for the majority of good thing's it had which became atted because of an Editor who had no control of those working under her when everyone know's that an editor rules and should know the actions of those under her/him.

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                  It is truly terriblewhat the NOTW did by hacking into phones - totaly deplorable in-fact i'd say but sadly I will miss the paper on a Sunday. It was brilliant for it's Football Reports and I loved the Soap gossip they got before most other papers (Daily Star Sunday possibly excluded).

I sure sure will miss it on a Sunday and can not see another Sunday paper getting near it for the majority of good thing's it had which became atted because of an Editor who had no control of those working under her when everyone know's that an editor rules and should know the actions of those under her/him.
                  I feel having followed this story I like to play devils advocate really rather than slate Murdoch totally...I don't like him as a person as his creation of Wapping's automated printing plant in the 1980's led to the end of the Printers Union and eventually the rise of desktop publishing, ergo the end of jobs for Linotypesetters like my Father....Murdoch led the mandate: find scandal. Rebbekka Brooks, if thats who you mean 'having no control' nor 'knowing what went on' is rubbish. They both knew. Furthermore, if you think about it, the Royals, these so called 'Celebs's should have had half a brain to have private pin coded voicemails on their phones. All the furory over this 'scandal' is a bit naff given how the NOTW sold millions. Out of all his papers in the UK it was the number one revenue maker for News International in the UK. So, if the paper sold whilst these 'scandals' or 'front page headlines' were being discovered by a culture of 'anything justifies the end result' (a Murdoch tenet) it shows the readers of the NOTW wanted to read these stories. They didn't seem to question how these facts came out, they read them. If at any time there had been a public backlash over the last 3 years when NOTW or any other paper was conducting such exploits I don't think someone as savvy as Murdoch the businessman would have allowed it to continue. It sold papers, made millions and he let it continue. Another thing is many readers didn't even know Murdoch owned the Sun, The Times, The Independent as well as the NOTW. Now they do if they didn't know in the first place....personally I'm surprised if they didn't know in the first place...

We live in a 'now' media culture ergo its not the same as having a big front page story once every 2 to 4 weeks, readers want something everyday, the editors want something every day to justify revenues, the careers of the employees, advertising etc, etc. Murdochs papers gave what readers wanted and now the so called liberals are mocking it all. What does make me sick is how all the politicians are leaving Murdochs side in droves decrying him. They, the Police, all in each others incestuous pockets. The Politicians courted Murdoch as his influence helped win votes, Murdoch feted them in return but now its 'oooh no, he's public enemy number 1' according to them. They also still fear him for all the muck he probably still has on them too but current public opinion forced them to take action i.e. 'public enquiries'....at their eventual peril.

Murdoch could argue eventually that his takeover of BSKYB has become prejudiced by public and political opinion and eventually he can try to get his own way due to it. I am actually more disgusted by the Politicians acting whiter than white in the light of it all.

Its all cyclical. It hasn't changed things forever and this sort of thing will continue. It'll die down for a while but in the next 4 years or so the Politicians will rue the day they betrayed Murdoch come election campaigning time as they will need his populist voice in the red top rags to draw in more votes and slate the opposition. If you think about it the usage of private investigators, bribing coppers and hacking phones was all done for one aim alone and that was to bring in headlines and stories that if people are honest they wanted to see....

Comment

Working...
                  X