Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fashion in primary school

Default Re: Fashion in primary school

The Infant and Junior schools had no uniform when I was there, and I didn't have to wear one until Comprehensive School - the previous schools that I went to now have uniform (the Juniors started theirs in around 2001).

But wasn't it great that although we had to go to school, at least in my day, we were still independent when it came to what we could wear - I won't say that that I miss those days as I obviously don't need to wear a school uniform now!

Let's look at it this way: are there any schools in Great Britain or overseas where the members of the teaching staff have to wear a uniform? To be fair, most of the teachers back then dressed in such a way that it looked as if they wore a uniform compared to the kids in our class!
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Is it me, or does it seem to be a very American thing to not have a school uniform? I have in my mind Saved By The Bell and series like that where the pupils, (or should I say students?) can wear what they please without even getting detention.

It seems odd that the male Summer Bay High pupils in Home and Away can wear jeans but have to wear a tie - (well, it was like that in the "Angel" era of the mid 1990s).
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    Is it me, or does it seem to be a very American thing to not have a school uniform? I have in my mind Saved By The Bell and series like that where the pupils, (or should I say students?) can wear what they please without even getting detention.

It seems odd that the male Summer Bay High pupils in Home and Away can wear jeans but have to wear a tie - (well, it was like that in the "Angel" era of the mid 1990s).
    True yeah I agree George, about America and australia - though both are totaly different cultures etc I see your point and especialy Home and Away as was so for Neighbours "back in the day", but i think they have improved the Erinsborough High Uniform reflection considerably (in terms of real life reflection) and more so, since the move from BBC1 to Chanel 5 and the updating of filming and adjustments to the sets etc - which are also far more believeable too, too in my opinion

Though look at Grange Hill irca the late 80s to early 90s how so many had their Ties thin side out (and Mr Bronson was supposed to be a stickler for the rules) but in the real world a Bronco Type teacher never would have omitted this!!

Moving further onto GH - look at the 90-93 Opening Credits with the amount of Trainers in the Opening Credits - atotal total poor reflection (though it was true in many Schools - it also never added up for/to me)!!

80sChav
    Last edited by 80sChav; 01-02-2020 at 00:32.

Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    When i went to school 79 i think it was we did have a uniform to wear.

I wasnt aware of fashion in primary school and i still aint got any fashion clothes wise.
    Same here darren my old chum, our School never had Uniform at primary School oddly - I don't know why though to be honest!

Don't do yourself down though regards Fashion taste mate - I knowand am sure you have taste mate!

80sChav

Quote Originally Posted by 80sChav View Post
    Same here darren my old chum, our School never had Uniform at primary School oddly - I don't know why though to be honest!
    The freedom of expression, a bit like independence from the EU.