Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little Duck Blue Feather - if anyone can find any info or has a copy plz let me know!

Question Animated sad, short film about a duck, possibly BBC

Hi! I've been desperately trying to find this for years. We had a VHS recording of it taped from TB which has been lost somewhere and may not have even been labelled. It definitely wasn't Disney but I can't remember if it was British or American. It must have been early/mid 90's but again I could be wrong. I was born in 1993 and was quite young when I used to watch it but I do remember watching it for some years..I'm 95% sure it was just a one-off rather than a series, an as it was a tape recording it would've only been on one of 4 channels, I'm thinking BBC.

It had a very sad tone to it, the duck was possibly called Blue Feather? Or may have been a duck with a blue feather. I can't remember if she talked or not. It may have been a silent film? But something sad happened at the end, either she died or her eggs were stolen (possibly by a fox but not 100% sure!) when I've Googled it I can only find "Little Bear and Blue feather" which is a cartoon about bears and a series called Hetty Feather - it's neither of those! And it's definitely not Will Cwak Cwak (although that was a classic!) :-) Please help if you can!

Default Re: Animated sad, short film about a duck, possibly BBC

I think it could have been called Little Duck Blue Feather if it is the one I remember, though extremely vaguely, and it may well have been Chinese in origin, but I can find nothing about it online.

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    I think it could have been called Little Duck Blue Feather if it is the one I remember, though extremely vaguely, and it may well have been Chinese in origin, but I can find nothing about it online.
    Hi! Omg you're amazing, I think you've found it! I typed that in and it came up with a page which records everything shown on the BBC! Can't believe someone else remembers this! Can you remember anything about it? I remember it really affecting me for some reason! Ah it makes sense if it was Chinese in origin as Chinese animations often seem to have quite a sad, realistic plot. I think as a child maybe it shocked me as it probably wasn't a happy ending like all the Disney movies haha... its such a shame there's nothing about it online! Nothing about it anywhere, nothing on IMDb. I even translated the title into Chinese and searched for that on YouTube - nothing! I must try and track down that old videotape.... I'm becoming obsessed!

I'm sorry but I can remember very little about it. The title was unusual so perhaps stuck in my memory. I can't even recall why I think it was Chinese in origin unless it was stated by the station announcer, and it did have that Chinese animation style about it as you say. I think it was a fairly short film and it is frustrating that there is hardly any mention about it online.

well done staffslad
    Reckless Stu
    http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php

DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

must be something on the net somewhere
    Last edited by culnara; 27-01-2017 at 20:27.
    Reckless Stu

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    I'm sorry but I can remember very little about it. The title was unusual so perhaps stuck in my memory. I can't even recall why I think it was Chinese in origin unless it was stated by the station announcer, and it did have that Chinese animation style about it as you say. I think it was a fairly short film and it is frustrating that there is hardly any mention about it online.
    thanks anyway, you confirmed the title which is a big step! I'm not sure why it means so much to me but I'd love to watch it again. It's funny you mentioned about the Chinese animation though as I found one other mention on another forum called the answer bank where people were discussing what cartoons had really upset them, and a user had commented this:
    "Bambi, then 'The Ice Queen' (you have to be a certain age), Lion King, a random Chinese 5-min animation called 'Little Duck Blue Feather', Watership Down, Animal Farm."

So a handful of people out there do remember this and supports your Chinese theory! I searched the BBC genome sight and found entries where it was shown in 1992, 1993, 1993 and 1995 but it says nothing else about it! And all BFI says is synopsis: Film. Nothing about writer or director. How strange! It really must've been a tiny little film.
    Last edited by Brunettepixie; 28-01-2017 at 17:59.

Quote Originally Posted by culnara View Post
    must be something on the net somewhere
    I've trawled through it many times and found nothing so far! I wonder if I contacted the BBC genome (radio times archive site) and see if they could shed any light? I wonder if they would still have a copy of it?

try Kodi
    Reckless Stu

Quote Originally Posted by Brunettepixie View Post
    thanks anyway, you confirmed the title which is a big step! I'm not sure why it means so much to me but I'd love to watch it again. It's funny you mentioned about the Chinese animation though as I found one other mention on another forum called the answer bank where people were discussing what cartoons had really upset them, and a user had commented this:
    "Bambi, then 'The Ice Queen' (you have to be a certain age), Lion King, a random Chinese 5-min animation called 'Little Duck Blue Feather', Watership Down, Animal Farm."

So a handful of people out there do remember this and supports your Chinese theory! I searched the BBC genome sight and found entries where it was shown in 1992, 1993, 1993 and 1995 but it says nothing else about it! And all BFI says is synopsis: Film. Nothing about writer or director. How strange! It really must've been a tiny little film.
    I remember the short film Little Duck Blue Feather, not massively well but as I remember the essence of the film is as follows:

A duck acquires a nest, formerly belonging to a friend of hers, in a low hedge, but a hedgehog eats all the eggs one day when she goes looking for food. The duck spots the hedgehog and kills him.

She then finds another low tree, and lays eggs in a nest there, but in a rather eerie a scene, one night after dark a fox is shown lurking around, and when the duck leaves the nest the next day and comes back with food, the eggs are broken, and the fox is shown nearby in his hole having eaten them.

She then makes a nest on an old felled tree near the river knowing that the fox will not be able to reach this nest. However, a beaver removes the eggs as they were hindering his progress in building a lodge.

Realising that she is running out of before nesting season is over, and seeing a nest high up in a very tree that was abandoned by a sparrow hawk who has not been seen for over a week, the duck decides to take a risk and - knowing that this nest will be out of the beaver's way and safe from danger from the fox - she places her eggs there in the hope that they will hatch... >>>