Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dinosaurs

Default Dinosaurs

I know this sounds a bit silly but when did dinosaurs enter popular culture? In the 1950s you would struggle to find any dinosaur themed products but in the 1990s they were commonplace.

Default Re: Dinosaurs

I think it was the enormous success of Jurassic Park that really raised the profile of dinosaurs into the public consciousness in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    I think it was the enormous success of Jurassic Park that really raised the profile of dinosaurs into the public consciousness in the 90s.
    I'm well aware of the success of Jurassic Park but I'm sure that toy dinosaurs and books about dinosaurs for kids were available in the 1970s. There was the cartoon Denver the Last Dinosaur in the late 1980s which seems to imply that kids must have been familiar with dinosaurs at the time.

Maybe The Flintstones brought dinosaurs to the public culture; their pet dinosaur Dino

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

I have verbally been informed that the Natural History Museum sold dinosaur themed products in the 1970s but when did they become commonplace in the High Street? When did schools first have books about dinosaurs?

I remember having a Dinosaur phase in the mid 1980s, my parents bought some models from the Early Learning Centre as well as a few book on them.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Dinosaur's are cuddly really; despite the reputation they have lol

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

I'm intrigued why out of the thousands of dinosaurs that existed only a small number are popular and familiar. You would even have difficulty finding a baryonyx - despite it being Britain's national dinosaur. I once had a toy polacanthus.

Quote Originally Posted by Arran View Post
    I'm well aware of the success of Jurassic Park but I'm sure that toy dinosaurs and books about dinosaurs for kids were available in the 1970s. There was the cartoon Denver the Last Dinosaur in the late 1980s which seems to imply that kids must have been familiar with dinosaurs at the time.

Absolutely agree. People were well aware of dinosaurs in the decades prior to the 90s, but I think Jurassic Park rocketed them to superstar status.

I remember that in the early 70s Brooke Bond gave away dinosaur cards in their tea for you to stick in a dedicated book. I think there were 50 to collect.

Dinosaurs became extinct millions of years ago, so not quite relevant to the 1970s, 1980s, or 1990s. But saying that, they were part of kids' lives during that time - toys etc.

I know that the word "dinosaur" wasn't coined until the 19th century.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!