Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Watching musicals at the theatre

Default Re: Watching musicals at the theatre

Funnily enough, Leicester wasn't the nearest city that Grease the Musical were performing to where I am - I just found that they are also going to do the Nottingham Theatre Royal next year!
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Quote Originally Posted by Chana468 View Post
    I've seen a few musicals in recent years at the West End & Manchester.
    Sounds as if that comment was meant for this thread.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Got the autographs of the Grease cast in Saturday's post - Brilliant.

As you obviously know, at the moment the theatres (and their Box Offices) are closed due to the coronavirus, and sadly it might mean that visiting the theatre on my birthday this year could be cancelled. At this time of year, I make plans, but to be honest, I don't know what life will be like in just a couple of weeks' time at the moment.

After looking at the contenders of: Felixstowe (Joe Pasquale down there); Southend (some "Puttin' on the Ritz"-style musical there); Bridlington (a Take That "Experience" tribute show up there); and Blackpool (Motown tribute show - no longer performing on the night - postponed until April next year).

I have decided to go for the great Jane McDonald, alumnus of the 1990s docusoap The Cruise (Jeremy Spake or Maureen Rees, anyone?) who will (hopefully if it things get better) be at the Leeds Grand Theatre - as she's from Wakefield, she will be performing again on her home soil. However, just 28 seats left in the entire place, and things are in limbo because of the virus, so I am not counting my chickens until they have hatched. No point in booking at this moment in time in other words, but I hope that there will be light at the end of the tunnel between now and August...

Didn't get to see have my annual birthday sabbatical due to the coronavirus and all the theatres were obvious closed with performances of shows cancelled (would have chosen wither Southend or Leeds) - stayed at home for the first time in years.

Spent the morning of my birthday last month writing an open letter on my computer about how the virus is damaging theatres and depriving people of watching shows there (including my birthday plans for this year), as well as the effect it has on performers - I sent a copy of the letter to my MP (who responded by email), as well as the PM and Oliver Dowden of the DCMS. Other recipients include Equity (who invited me to sign a .gov.uk petition regarding connected to the subject of theatres and actors); Spotlight; The Stage newspaper; local theatres (Nottingham Playhouse responded by email); dignitaries such as Lloyd-Webber (Really Useful Group responded), C Macintosh, Kenwright, and others. Anyone I could think of in connection to the theatre, musicals, drama and acting. I hope that we can see theatres reopening as normal not too long into the future.

Next year, Chicago the Musical is starting a run in March 2021 (although the second wave might put that back on the back burner). I might book tickets in lieu of this year, but considering the situations that have happened in Birmingham over the last few weeks, I might try the Sunderland Empire or even Liverpool. We will just have to wait and see...