Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Play Your Cards Right

Default Re: Play Your Cards Right

Quote Originally Posted by Disco_Puppy View Post
    That's true - from my memories, Give us a Clue is where the 'has been' celebrities washed up, when they were not doing the seasonal panto circuit. I can remember seeing the likes of Keith Baron, Su Pollard, Christopher Biggins, Bonnie Langford and Kenneth Williams. Williams especially must have felt like he had hit bottom at that point, what with Give us a Clue and Willo the Wisp.

I wonder if they were only able to get the 'big' names due to contracts that Thames and LWT offered? Lucrative, but a big name also had to do X number of game shows and other appearances a year?

Give us a Clue. Another great game show concept that we will never see again these days...
    Stubbs would probably have Felicity Kendal, Tracey Ullman and Maggie Moone on her team, while Blair would have Bernard Cribbins, Willie Rushton and Nicholas Parsons on his. I tell you, Brucie made at least one appearance on there.

As I mentioned on the Drama Lessons thread, we did Give us a Clue in Drama and we took turns to be "Lionel Blair" without the "sitting in other people's seats" thing that goes on.

Even if you look at the panto list each year - it's almost the same as 30 years ago - the same names such as Chris Biggins, Bonnie Langford, Wayne Sleep, etc. I nearly got all the autographs of Blue in 2015 because they were scattered around the country in panto - cue my autograph book making a whistle-stop tour of the theatres around the country courtesy of Royal Mail.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    Ronnie Corbett was another of the celebrity golfing set, even if he was mostly on BBC shows from the mid 1970s onwards.
    And Corbett would always wear those "Rupert Bear" trousers when out on the golf course, making him look like an Open University presenter from 1973.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    And Corbett would always wear those "Rupert Bear" trousers when out on the golf course, making him look like an Open University presenter from 1973.
    Probably with a Pringle pullover, like the ones he would often wear for his chair monologues in the 2 Ronnies.
    The Trickster On The Roof