Television programmes that were suspended or postponed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Television programmes that were suspended or postponed

Thinking about the Danny Baker (I know it was radio in his case but it doesn't matter), Have I Got News For You, and Jeremy Kyle incidents in the past week or so, it made me think of how many TV series had been suspended, postponed or even axed due to one thing or another. Perhaps they were shown at a later date around six months later, or were left to fester in the archives, never to be seen again? I don't want to talk about them, but about the programmes from the 1970s and 1980s. In many cases, they are things such as dramas that have been postponed because of similarities with real life events making the news, or something within that vein.

One obvious example was the Michael Lush incident on the Late, Late Breakfast Show which I vaguely remember - I would have thought that the Saturday Roadshow and even Noel's House Party wouldn't have been made because of what had happened back in 1986. Mentioning House Party reminds me of the first edition of 1998 which was never transmitted because of a row over Edmonds' payment for the programme.

There are those programmes which were postponed as a mark of respect - when Eamonn Andrews died during the early hours of Guy Fawkes' Day in 1987, (I remember going to school that morning where something special was happening in the hall), This is Your Life was suspended from the ITV listings and the three remaining editions that Andrews did were scheduled in early 1988 - only a few hours before, we saw that he surprised Northern Ireland comedian Jimmy Cricket with the Big Red Book - my late father said that Andrews looked a bit peaky in that episode at the time.

There was also the showing of Mind the Baby Mr Bean which was postponed twice because of the similarities with the Bulger incident - on its first TX in 1993 it was replaced by the first showing of the Mr Bean in Room 426, and on the second, it was replaced by a repeat of an earlier episode. It was eventually shown in 1994 a few months after the case was concluded.

I suppose that sports coverage such as the 1993 Grand National could be seen as marginal in that respect...

Antiques Inspectors was hosted by Jill Dando and the first edition was shown the day before she was killed - the remaining episodes went out a few months later in an identical slot.

And there have been programmes that have simply been postponed because of some news coverage breaking such as a Royal death or a shock resignation pushing regular programmes (but probably not soaps) to one side. It must have happened with regarding topical and satire programmes such as Spitting Image - the Have I Got News fore You example would be something similar to that.

Can anyone remember any more? - Perhaps you had a video recording of it at the time? Long before home domestic VCRs in most places, I am certain from what I have read that the 1972 Olympic coverage being cancelled meant that the pilot of Are You Being Served? was transmitted a lot earlier than anticipated.
    Last edited by George 1978; 13-03-2021, 23:39.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Television programmes that were suspended or postponed

George, you have a remarkable memory for this type of stuff,i can't remember what i had for breakfast which is not really fitting on a forum named "do you remember"
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

The most famous such incident I can recall was when the snooker was interrupted by live coverage of the Iranian Embassy siege in 1980...
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

The comedy drama If You See God Tell him was put back a few times due to some controversial content.

Sin On Saturday was dropped due to poor ratings & controversy over the studio discussion, not helped by having Oliver Reed being interviewed in one installment.

There was sometihng with Frankie Howerd set in the Second World War in which was mothballed due to the Falklands & not shown for years afterwards. Soldier Soldier was also held back a few months because of the Gulf War.

A few soaps have had to drop storylines due to their similarity to real life events.

Occasionally some films have been rescheduled for similar reasons, I remember a screening of The Fugitive was replaced after a train crash happened a day or 2 before.

Scum & possibly a few other one off dramas were unscreened for years.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Coverage of the grand national some years ago due to i believe a terrorist threat? (happy to be corrected)
          Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

JOHN GAUNT BEING SACKED.

I REMEMBER WELL LISTENING TO HIM ON AIR AS HE SAID IT.

Gaunt hosted a mid-morning
            current affairs show on Talksport. On 18 November 2008 it was announced that Talksport had terminated Gaunt's contract following an interview with Redbridge Council's Michael Stark on 7 November, in which Gaunt branded Councillor Stark a "Nazi", and "an ignorant pig" live on air in a discussion about whether smokers should be allowed to foster children in care. Gaunt felt that the policy was draconian and would leave children in care.

where he believed that they would be in much more danger. He had criticised Redbridge Council in similar terms in his
            Sun newspaper column that morning.[5]Ofcom later found Talksport in "breach of broadcasting rules" as a result of the incident[6] and Jon Gaunt's appeal failed. "The broadcast was undoubtedly highly offensive to Mr Stark and was well capable of offending the broadcast audience."[7]
            Last edited by darren; 14-05-2019, 16:01.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I remember James Whale being suspended from his radio show for plugging Boris Johnson's run for Mayor.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Michael Barrymore made a whole season of Kids Say The Funniest Things, which was pulled from the schedule after the Lubbock scandal, and never shown.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                  George, you have a remarkable memory for this type of stuff,i can't remember what i had for breakfast which is not really fitting on a forum named "do you remember"
                  Well a lot of them are not really personal memories from the time itself, but memories from looking at Wikipedia and other factual TV history books.
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                    Coverage of the grand national some years ago due to i believe a terrorist threat? (happy to be corrected)
                    Apart from the 1993 coverage, wasn't there something around 1997 which prevented the races from going ahead, and so it was held the following Monday?
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                      I remember James Whale being suspended from his radio show for plugging Boris Johnson's run for Mayor.
                      It does feel like double standards when newspapers can print "vote Labour" on their front pages of rags like the Daily Mirror has done so for donkey's years, yet, when it comes to TV media, one has to be impartial. A little bit like how Pete Murray expressed his political views on Breakfast Time in the run of to the 1983 General Election, and caused controversy as a result. At the end of the day, both tells us the news.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post

There was sometihng with Frankie Howerd set in the Second World War in which was mothballed due to the Falklands & not shown for years afterwards. Soldier Soldier was also held back a few months because of the Gulf War.
                        It was called "Then Churchill Said To Me" - it was shown on UK Gold in 1993 (before I had cable or satellite), and it was eventually on BBC 2 on Saturday afternoons circa August 2000.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

One that comes to mind is Mini Pops (without looking, I think I've posted this elsewhere on DYR).

Not long after Channel 4 opened in November '82 (IIRC), Mini Pops was commissioned

Mini Pops starred pre-pubescent kids, dancing to hit songs of the day, dressed up like Maddona & the like

Complaints were recieved by C4. Mini Pops was bordering on paedophilia. Obviously the kids involved loved it (all kids want to act grown up)

The commissioning editor pulled the show
                          sigpic
                          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

"Heil Honey, I'm Home..." only one episode broadcast before it was pulled

Comment

yes that one of the first shows i thought of.

i remember watching its all right in the 80;s and nina myskow.

another is hbo;s luck

Dustin Hoffman and Anthony Hopkins starred on the drama that aired on HBO for one season in 2011. "Luck" was renewed in 2012, but during production for the second season, the show was accused of mistreating animals on set.
                              Three horses reportedly died during production, and animal rights groups like PETA slammed the show. HBO ultimately canceled the show and released a statement.
                              In the statement, the network said that they "maintained the highest safety standards throughout production, higher in fact than any protocols existing in horse racing anywhere with many fewer incidents than occur in racing or than befall horses normally in barns at night or pastures."
                              The following year, Hoffman told Fox News that TMZ and PETA teamed up and spread "distorted" information about conditions on the set of "Luck."

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                              One that comes to mind is Mini Pops (without looking, I think I've posted this elsewhere on DYR).

Not long after Channel 4 opened in November '82 (IIRC), Mini Pops was commissioned

Mini Pops starred pre-pubescent kids, dancing to hit songs of the day, dressed up like Maddona & the like

Complaints were recieved by C4. Mini Pops was bordering on paedophilia. Obviously the kids involved loved it (all kids want to act grown up)

The commissioning editor pulled the show
                              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                              X