Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long distance radio stations picked up

Default Re: Long distance radio stations picked up

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    I remember my Dad's car radio occasionally picked up taxi radios, back when the top end of FM radio (105-108MHz) was still used in the UK for 2 way radios.
    This was the same here Richard when we passed certain buildings or whatever - this happened with Taxi Firms in our Car/s too!! A good call/memory you've brought me back here - thanks mate

This eventualy lead me to my love of CB Radio years later (not through Taxi's, but just the thrill of the Radio CB -Wise)

80sChav

Quote Originally Posted by 80sChav View Post
    This was the same here Richard when we passed certain buildings or whatever - this happened with Taxi Firms in our Car/s too!! A good call/memory you've brought me back here - thanks mate

This eventualy lead me to my love of CB Radio years later (not through Taxi's, but just the thrill of the Radio CB -Wise)

80sChav
    One odd thing about them was you could normally only hear half the conversation, as I assume each part was on another frequency.
    The Trickster On The Roof

I know that in the late 1980s and early 1990s, the 87.5 to 88 waveband, just before you get to Radio 2, I could even hear what sounded like police radio messages, one way of course on the radio. I assume that the emergency services use the waveband that is prior to the 87 MHz frequencies and that could be left over from that.

I used to see advertised in Sunday newspaper magazines special radios with strong aerials that had all the private wavebands which allowed one to "eavesdrop" into air force, military signals and all that, and even back then, it made me think whether a member of the public owning such an object was actually legal?
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Here in the UK; even nowadays, you are permitted to buy scanners that pick up emergency services & other government frequencies. Though, or course, the police have gone TETRA encrypted. As long as you don't listen to the messages, that is lol

Similar to emergency blue lights & sirens (as long as you don't use them)

So, what's the point in that then? lol

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

It reminds me of Mutiny on the Buses where Stan Butler and Jack Harper retuned the radio control transmitter so that it picked up police and aeroplane frequencies instead of the bus services.

"SB 17 - can you hear me?"

If you are travelling north from London on the M1, have the Walkman on in the National Express coach, or are listening in the car on the motorway, these BBC local radio stations can be picked up on the radio:

1) 94.9 - BBC London
    2) 104.5 - BBC Three Counties Radio
    3) 104.2 - BBC Radio Northampton
    4) 104.9 - BBC Radio Leicester
    5) 103.8 - BBC Radio Nottingham (Nottingham)
    6) 95.5 - BBC Radio Nottingham (Mansfield)
    7) 94.7 - BBC Radio Sheffield (Chesterfield)
    8) 88.6 - BBC Radio Sheffield (Sheffield)
    9) 103.9 - BBC Radio Leeds (Leeds)

I had a big long old wooden radio as a kid that i'd got from somewhere, it was old then and had a facia of buttons and the channel thingy which all lit up when used. I used to plug it in under my bed and pretend it was the control module of my spaceship with the LW transmissions being ground control.

I have always have had a mental note of most FM frequencies and so when travelling, I automatically know which radio station I am tuned to. Digital radio makes it even better.