Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Family get togethers

Default Re: Family get togethers

While I've not been short of girlfriends over the years, things happened fast when I met my wife, & we were married in less than a year together.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by HG View Post
    Keep the faith George, at 40 I was single and thought I was destined to always be. Fast forward 8 years and I'm firmly partnered with 2 children, I definitely didn't see that coming.
    Thanks for the positive comment HG - the problem is that I almost see everyone as stereotypes as each other - you know, married at 17, family of their own by 19, becoming grandparents by 40. I have always seen myself as the odd one out.

I am even looking at YouTube videos about marriage, weddings and pregnancy over the last few days as I don't want to feel ignorant about such things when they are more than apparent to everyone else -. I wish I was a woman so I could be pregnant myself and experience the core part of it!

I do like surprises, but sometimes surprises are not very nice, and that is what I try and look out for.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Also, various factors in my life have attributed to the fact that I haven't found a partner apart from platonic relationships - for example, being bullied at school in the early 1990s which made me cut myself off from my peer group; my parents passing away when I was in my late teens and early 20s; my Asperger Syndrome diagnosis, along with social anxiety phobias; living in an inner-city area until my mid 30s. If one sums them all up and puts them all together, it does paint a picture towards my difficulties when it comes to finding love.

In 2006 I had a platonic relationship with a woman which I am still in touch with, but it never got to develop because she met someone else about four or five months later - basically it was just a telephone relationship in a similar way to being pen pals. I had advertised for someone in a newsletter and she responded - we weren't doppelgangers as such but we gave each other benefit of the doubt. I respected her - we only met twice and we were never physical. She had similar problems to myself which was one reason why. Mind you, we got in touch for the first time in time for Valentine's Day that year and Valentine's Day 2006 was the best one I have had so far - and then she met someone else and I was back to square one.

I joined a dating website last week and spent a bit on my card with it - not surprisingly, I got cold feet and second thoughts about it. Being single means a lot of decisions one needs to make and not all of them are easy. There was one of these introduction agencies I saw on Google that I telephoned yesterday and I turned them down because the cost of it was out of bounds to me. I always seem to be on the outside looking in, but I always look for a chance if I get one.

Hi George, you are correct about introductions as a way to finding a partner, i met my wife of 38 years after my best pal introduced me to his sister but of course loves path is not always this easy to follow for most. Please don't think about dating shows as they are just sideshows for voyeuristics, my wife thinks the undateables is entertainment but i would like to think the producers of this programme were better intended than that, or perhaps i'm being naieve.
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

Yes, I know that dating shows are ways of ridiculing people as you said, but on the other hand, I feel that the more people know about my problem, the more people can help me. For example, I believe that I am talented, and I nearly auditioned for Britain's Got Talent a few years ago, but then I had second thoughts about how people say what they think about people, and so I didn't go in the end. I know that people can set someone up to knock them back down again, and I must admit that I am not thick-skinned enough or take criticism too easily. You have proved that being introduced to someone by a friend works, and I would recommend it if it was possible - my sister met her husband that way.

I thought that I would put some BBC News links here which in many ways inspires me:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47232648

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...ger-s-syndrome

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-15557244

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7948511.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4428602.stm

One thing I get frustrated about is getting responses from women who are, shall we say, implausible. Only last week via an appeal I had got a response from a woman who due to personal difficulties, was unable to have a family of her own. Now, I want to have a family of my own, and so obviously this frustrated me, but I have to say that I always seem to get the wrong type of person responding and often they are the complete opposite of someone that I am looking for - that is what makes me frustrated.

And when I tell people about it to see if they can help, the same type of response almost happens every time.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    In many ways I often make this more than apparent so that people can understand - it is good that you have picked up on this Tex because I can explain in a bit more detail. I would rather write about this on here rather than have hidden away in a PM - the more people who see this the better.

It is indeed a big issue in my life, and I am doing everything I can to find someone. The obvious places like pubs are out of the question as I don't like loud noises and all that. I have tried speed dating where a woman who didn't want to know me, basically put the phone down on me. I even tried application forms for The Undateables, First Dates, and even Blind Date (the Channel 5 version of course). As you can probably see from my signature, I am now in my 40s, and I am worried that life will pass me by if I don't find someone - reaching that milestone had depressed me into thinking what I have done in my life so far. Ever since I reached 40 last August, I have had depression in relation to this - it was indeed noticed in some of the posts I made on here just before Christmas last year, and I believe that was one symptom of it.

I would love it if a friend or a relative would introduce me to someone as I know that is how couples get to meet for the first time - if I know the person who introduces me to someone, and they know that other person, then that would be easy. As my birthday is next month, I would love to find someone by then. I am an isolated person who finds telephone, letters and email a better way of communication as to meeting someone rather than face to face for the first time.

Anyway, I found out yesterday that I won a meal for two at a local restaurant - the big question is who would go with me? I would love to find someone who can go with me to the place, and I have to admit that it is inspiring me even more to look for someone. I don't mind talking about it as it is a lot better than bottling it up inside where it can sometimes be lethal to do so.
    You are much like me in social situations I think ..

You could start doing some volunteer work .... maybe places where kind hearted people meet regularly ( daily or something) like food kitchens for the homeless .. amongst all the volunteers there’s gonna be a few nice looking women, possibly free and single ..

That way you get a big hearted friend with benefits...

Just a thought ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PS

I’m sure I read some people meet others doing the ‘big’ shop either early or late .. there are some supermarkets who have set times where ‘singles’ are likely to be shopping .. you’d have to Google .

Quick link

http://www.pinkfridge.com/lal_dating/supermarket.htm

Yes, I have heard of that - I think that Asda have done them. However, it's not supermarkets that I have problems with, but more social situations such like pubs and clubs - it has always baffled me at how couples meet each other and it still does as a matter of fact.

People have recommended volunteer work to me, but for some reason, I always have in my mind elderly people and the like who do those sorts of things. Fair enough, but my weaknesses has always been those who are of a similar age or slightly younger than myself.

As for "supermarket dating" I suppose that it does involve going down a different sort of aisle...