Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door To Door Sales

Default Door To Door Sales

People selling things door to door is almost a thing of the past, mostly due to people not liking cold calling, & other factors.

I remember encyclopedias were a popular item, often you would sign up to pay in instalments & get a volume at a time.

Does anyone else have memories of items sold this way?
    The Trickster On The Roof

Default Re: Door To Door Sales

In the early 70s I knew of a man (a distant relative of mine) who use to sell material/clothing in a suitcase.
    Soon after he opened a string of shops and became a millionaire.

I think that the reason you don't see them very often now is because: A) people would rather come to you rather than let you go to them if they want to purchase something; B) technology such as online shopping has made it easier to but things you want straightaway - for example, even the milkman has made himself scarce in recent years - the Coop still does milk, in their supermarkets of course; and: C) it would be seen as harassment these days if you stand on someone's doorstep, knock on the door and harass someone into purchasing items that they don't want - and it was usually feather dusters and mops as well. Not quite the same thing, but Jehovah's Witnesses come to mind as well - don't answer the door whatever you do!

Obviously, the postman, gasman, booked appointments such as plumbers and all that don't count. I suppose that the irony is that as I do online shopping with Tesco these days, I do get my milk, bread and other items delivered, and that is indeed welcome. I suppose that mail order catalogues were similar - my late mother was an agent for one in the 1970s and 1980s and she used to get commission on purchases, etc. We had a few customers who lived a couple of streets away who made weekly payments on items, and they had to visit our home because of that.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

The double glazed reps have been around but I think most people dont bother answering doors for obvious reasons

I remember there was a worry about schemes to get people into work by selling door to door, especially as some were ex-prisoners or else people with disabilities.

I have to admit that I would hate it if I was "cold called" by a doorstep salesman - it's like the gas and electricity companies doing the same like they did in the early 2000s - they knocked on my door so often that I almost had a different utility supplier for each day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    I remember there was a worry about schemes to get people into work by selling door to door, especially as some were ex-prisoners or else people with disabilities.
    This reminds me of the time my nan received a letter asking her would she like her garden mowed and cleaned up by people who are on court ordered community service, i rang the number on the letter and informed them my nan has her own means of doing her garden and does not require the services of convicted criminals.
    I was shocked really that elderly people were picked out to receive this service.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I have to admit that I would hate it if I was "cold called" by a doorstep salesman - it's like the gas and electricity companies doing the same like they did in the early 2000s - they knocked on my door so often that I almost had a different utility supplier for each day of the week.
    Yes and if you were to open the door to them,they would not take no I am not interested.Have to slam the door in their faces to be shot of them

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggy14 View Post
    This reminds me of the time my nan received a letter asking her would she like her garden mowed and cleaned up by people who are on court ordered community service, i rang the number on the letter and informed them my nan has her own means of doing her garden and does not require the services of convicted criminals.
    I was shocked really that elderly people were picked out to receive this service.
    I remember there was an episode of Juliey Bravo where YTS students were doing a similar service, but one of them was using it to stake out house to rob & ruined it for all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by amethyst View Post
    Yes and if you were to open the door to them,they would not take no I am not interested.Have to slam the door in their faces to be shot of them
    It takes guts to do just that, but I managed to do that a few times.