Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Dog fouling

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    3,395

    Default Dog fouling

    I suppose that it is a "cousin" of the fly-tipping thread, but I think that it is separate enough to merit its own thread - apologies if you are eating your dinner as you read this.

    Over the past few weeks, there have been cases of dogs using the local pavements as toilets, and I believe that the owners just shirk their duties when by not bothering to clear up after them and use a pooper-scooper or plastic bag and place it in the relevant bin (in which one is provided just around the corner from where I live). It is even worse when dogs are astray, and I think that they shouldn't be. I see a lot of dog walkers out and about walking their dog in the area I live in. Don't get me wrong - I don't hate dogs (not meant to be a double negative there), and I have nothing against people who own them; after all, they are regarded as man's best friend.

    But it is when the foul the local pavements and it is left there. Back in the 1980s the street I used to live on was covered by all of this, and sometimes it was there for weeks, and it was no joke when it was warm weather either. It is disgusting, and I don't need to point out the Health and Safety problems that one would get implicated in if one happens to get in contact with it. The fact of the matter is that it is worse than dropping litter (not that I am saying that dropping litter is excusable), and it is akin to someone using the street as a toilet. I don't (and I have never) owned a dog myself, and we are not allowed pets where I live anyway - I suppose this is one way of being eliminated from any blame within the situation.

    A couple of weeks ago, just outside the building where I live, there was a horrible pile of dog faeces on the pavement, and it was still there a week later (there was also some around the corner, but I think that it was either washed away by the rain - nature's own way of cleanliness - or cleaned up). I had to go in and out the back way because of that. However, I wrote to my local council's Environmental Health to complain about the dog fouling, stating in great detail the obvious dangers of it being there, the disgustingness of just seeing it outside my home, and the fact that it was running the nice area that I happened to live in - I even drew a rough map of the local streets on the other side of the letter, circling and pinpointing specific areas and streets where the dog faeces were situated. I put the letter in an envelope posted it last weekend in a local postbox.

    Fast forward to Thursday morning and a Neighbourhood Warden van from the local council arrives and parks on my street for half an hour - someone gets out and puts leaflets about the dangers of dog fouling in local letterboxes. At the same time, the mess outside is removed, and then the van leaves. The leaflet mentions that anyone not cleaning up after the dog fouling will get fined and even a court appearance. I have say that I was delighted to see something immediately done in my local area about something that I had complained about just a few days before - I have to admit that my old council where I used to live wouldn't have thought of it as being an emergency, but as I live in a suburb, I feel that I live in the right place for something urgent to be done. I would like to drink a toast to the Neighbourhood Warden and Environmental Health department at my council for doing something about this horrible mess straight away. Thank you so much Gedling Borough Council for thinking about rate payers like myself and putting them first on receipt of complaining to the relevant authorities!

    Can I just add that I know that some of you on here own dogs and love the animals, but could you please always remember to clean up after your dog when it does what it needs to do - always be considerate and courteous about other people who don't want to get in contact with faeces from dogs and other animals for that matter. Dogs can be everyone's best friend, not just man's if they are looked after properly.

    On a lighter side, there could be a song which could illustrate the situation - how about "Itchy Poo Park" by the Small Faeces?

    (Apologies again if you are eating while reading this, but it is a very important issue to address the masses...)
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dog fouling

    I am reading your post George as I am eating my cornflakes lol.Anyway good for you getting in touch with the department that deals with dog fouling and the quick response.I love dogs haven't one of my own but dont like dog mess on the streets it's disgusting.. It's the owners are the problem not cleaning up after their pooches just clean up after them it's not rocket science there are dog poo bins around especially in parks etc.I have even seen people let their dogs loose in childrens play area,football rugby pitches etc..And using these areas as a toilet ground,so yes dog owners be more responsible for your dogs

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    manchester
    Posts
    2,339

    Default Re: Dog fouling

    Quote Originally Posted by amethyst View Post
    I am reading your post George as I am eating my cornflakes lol.Anyway good for you getting in touch with the department that deals with dog fouling and the quick response.I love dogs haven't one of my own but dont like dog mess on the streets it's disgusting.. It's the owners are the problem not cleaning up after their pooches just clean up after them it's not rocket science there are dog poo bins around especially in parks etc.I have even seen people let their dogs loose in childrens play area,football rugby pitches etc..And using these areas as a toilet ground,so yes dog owners be more responsible for your dogs
    In fairness to many dog owners i often see people cleaning up after their dogs and unfortunately for them the less responsible owners are guilty of having everybody tarred with the same brush
    My teeth itch and my hair is scratchy

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stockport
    Posts
    5,274

    Default Re: Dog fouling

    I remember there was a worry about 30 years ago that dog dirt was spreading something that would make you go blind if you got it in your eye.

    Watchdog had a feature on it, & there were some complaints on Point Of View about demonising dogs & their owners!
    The Trickster On The Roof

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    3,395

    Default Re: Dog fouling

    Quote Originally Posted by amethyst View Post
    I am reading your post George as I am eating my cornflakes lol.
    Sorry about that - but the title itself gives an indication as to what I was about to write.

    I think I will save that chocolate mousse desert until sometime next week...
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    3,395

    Default Re: Dog fouling

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    I remember there was a worry about 30 years ago that dog dirt was spreading something that would make you go blind if you got it in your eye.

    Watchdog had a feature on it, & there were some complaints on Point Of View about demonising dogs & their owners!
    That's right - it could cause blindness if in direct contact and hands and things have not been washed - certainly 30 years ago there were reports about it on TV. In the 1980s, dog owners used to let their dogs in children's playground areas which is in hindsight a hygienic disaster which led onto the dangers of the situation being publicised, around the time that woodchips were introduced and kids kept being injured by falling from swings and slides onto some concrete.

    I am surprised that a programme like Watchdog would cover something like dog fouling, despite the irony of the programme's title with the "dog" in it - That's Life! yes for what I have mentioned in the previous paragraph, but not Watchdog.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stockport
    Posts
    5,274

    Default Re: Dog fouling

    Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    That's right - it could cause blindness if in direct contact and hands and things have not been washed - certainly 30 years ago there were reports about it on TV. In the 1980s, dog owners used to let their dogs in children's playground areas which is in hindsight a hygienic disaster which led onto the dangers of the situation being publicised, around the time that woodchips were introduced and kids kept being injured by falling from swings and slides onto some concrete.

    I am surprised that a programme like Watchdog would cover something like dog fouling, despite the irony of the programme's title with the "dog" in it - That's Life! yes for what I have mentioned in the previous paragraph, but not Watchdog.
    It might have been That's Life! but in those days I normally saw Watchdog more often.
    The Trickster On The Roof

  8. #8

    Default Re: Dog fouling

    The neighbours cats do their toilet in our front lawn many a time we find piles I mean it does ruin the grass if you leave the poo there the owners cant tell their moggies dont do your dumps on the neighbours lawn lol

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stockport
    Posts
    5,274

    Default Re: Dog fouling

    Quote Originally Posted by amethyst View Post
    The neighbours cats do their toilet in our front lawn many a time we find piles I mean it does ruin the grass if you leave the poo there the owners cant tell their moggies dont do your dumps on the neighbours lawn lol
    I remember my parents had trouble like this when their neighbours got a new cat & it hadn't learnt where to do it's business.
    The Trickster On The Roof

  10. #10

    Default Re: Dog fouling

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    I remember my parents had trouble like this when their neighbours got a new cat & it hadn't learnt where to do it's business.
    No control over cats they dont seem to do it on their own patch lol

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •