Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonfire night

Default Re: Bonfire night

We also went to the big display and bonfire. I loved it as a Kid!
    I have the same memories as everyone else, the Spuds in foil, collecting the dead shells..happy days

Remember to use the Fireworks Code

Did anyone have a slide show at school around bonfire night.

I remember the fire brigade showing one most years, with plenty of tips on how to stay safe, & lots of scary photos of people with burns caused by messing with fireworks.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Yes, the Fire Brigade would regularly come in and warn us of the dangers of Fire.
    I recall one year, the Head master dragging a kid who had been caught mucking around with fireworks and burnt himself, up in front of the School in Assembly. He made him wear his burnt clothes from that night.
    It worked!
    I never ever mucked about with them after seeing that

(The second picture is smaller because I had trouble uploading the bigger version to Photobucket).

I remember Guy Fawkes night.I loved that but that's another thing that's been banned in Australia.

I remember when i was back in England a friend of mine, his name was Guy Bangay or something like that, almost lost his sight after he lit a firework and then,when it didn't go off as quickly as he expected,bent down to have a look.
    It went off in his face.

I remember early teens when we used to hold lit bangers in our hands -the chicken was the one who dropped his first - it really hurts your fingers when they explode but we were the last generation of 'the cane' so it was the macho thing to act unmoved and like it never hurt!

Greater Manchester Fire Brigade had (& might still have) a mascot called Wellyphant who often featured in their fire prevention posters.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Almost ashamed to say we made our own! Joke & Fancy dress shop on seafront in Margate wasn't too particular about who it sold fireworks to in the 80's, to be honest. Chinese rockets and bangers were the best, but we got whatever we could afford. Standard bangers were the best - raspberry coloured wrapper and purplish touchpaper. Anyway, I digress ...

We'd empty out all the powder from the fireworks and compress it into film pots (you know, the little black ones with the grey lids). We'd make a hole in the lid and fashion our own touchpaper. And because we'd mixed the powder from various fireworks, you never knew what you were gonna get.

We'd light them then retreat. Great fun. Great, great fun. And something to tell your mates the day after at school.

NOTE: DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME, KIDS!

Does anyone remember that advert in the late 70's/early 80's? about a boy who puts a firework in his pocket and it goes off. The end of the ad used to show this poor wretch of a kid showing his gloved hand with a couple of fingers missing. lol. Used to freak me out as a kid.