Thread: never ending summer

Default never ending summer

Do you remember when
    the sun always shone in the school hols
    it was warm even at night
    it only rained in april
    it was cold on bonfire night
    and it snowed at xmas
    Last edited by sixtyten; 20-12-2007 at 20:12.
    want that one

Default Re: never ending summer

True - one of the prophesies of the End of the World says that we we'll only tell the seasons apart by the leaves on the trees.

The days when Emmerdale was a farm and a Marathon was a chocolate bar

When getting brought home by the local beat copper resulted in a clip round the ear for whatever you had been caught doing and another harder one for being brought home by the copper!
    Mrs Oggy
    ~~~*~~~*~~~
    Count your friends amongst the stars....
    And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Quote Originally Posted by fat wallet View Post
    Do you remember when
    the sun always shone in the school hols
    it was warm even at night
    it only rained in april
    it was cold on bonfire night
    and it snowed at xmas
    i remember them so well.
    id be lying in bed rosting alive.

when summer actually was summer.
    nowadays you can hardly tell.

when you played outside till 10 at night,and when you came in your mucked up to the knees.

hang on, that sounds a bit like last year! we had a decent summer, definately cold on bonfire night and snow on the ground at christmas! well, at least it was in gloucestershire!

I must admit that over the past few years I've thought that the seasons in the UK have been, pretty much, bang on schedule. Even now, towards the end of February, Spring is starting to wave hello (well it is in my neck of the woods, anyway).

The never-ending summer is a curse of the 'time speeds up, the older you get' syndrome. For my son (7) it still seems like a lifetime between starting school and half-term even though, to me, Christmas seems just a few weeks ago.

Thats sounds about right, also as an adult, a lot of people tend to spend more time indoors during the summer at work, & not being able to get the most of the good weather in the week.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Sounds like 1976 when the lawn turned yellow, and we were invaded by ladybirds!

Summer did seem to be almost endless sun and happy times out with my mates mucking around in the streams and fields close to where I lived or hanging around the estate playing British bulldog and many other community games. Great holiday children's TV if you wanted to watch it in the morning. But for me thinking back it was mostly a time we would disappear early only surfacing for meals or ending up getting called in at nighttime. I suppose it did rain and we had thunder storms and the world went on around me without me even noticing it happening. They were just carefree days without worry or fear. It was a time for exploring and wandering off to places we had not been before and getting to know the area where we lived like the back of my hand. It was a sad day when they demolished half of the estate and rebuilt it, as half of my childhood went with the old buildings and roads.
    That year of drought we had back in the 70's was possibly the only time we kids did not do much. If I remember right by July it had become far too hot and August was unbearable heat wise in the afternoons that most people just stayed away in the shade. Most of us kids just found a quiet cool spot down the stream out of the way and hung around there hunting for red throats, minnows the occasional cat fish.The stream almost disappeared in the heat, but in the shade of the trees it was cooler then the garden and the estate. We also made many dens all over the place, it got so bad that one of our mates dad's almost gave us his garden shed and installed a bench in it for us to hang out in.

Was the ladybird invasion in 1976?.I can remember a story of a man getting bitten to death on a beach in the UK by ladybirds. Just an odd memory.