Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: motorbike memories

arod Guest

Default motorbike memories

Which motorbikes did you like riding? Did you like British bikes or did you prefer Jap bikes? Can you remember trying to "do the ton" on your BSA bantam going downhill with the wind behind you? Were you a greasy biker or a mod? I'd love to hear your memories

Default Re: motorbike memories

Not a huge fan of British bikes, but always wanted a Triumph Bonneville T140

grew up on a farm of sorts, miles from anywhere, so had lots of land to tear about on.....I had an old Puch moped (with pedals) and nearest mate had a Honda mini 'monkey bike' . We had so much fun making scramble tracks.

Then turned 16 and got an Yahama ER50...all the 'lads' lived in villages scattered across the Isle of Axholme (between Doncaster & Scunthorpe)
    so you just HAD to have a bike to stay in touch. They all had Suzuki 'fizzies', bored-out engines etc

Mine LOOKED nicer..like a proper trial bike..but it was SO slow....get in a headwind and it struggled past 30mph

arod Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Not a huge fan of British bikes, but always wanted a Triumph Bonneville T140
    Me too, but my legs were too short so had a triumph tiger cub instead

They all had Suzuki 'fizzies'
    Yeah, I remember those, everyone seem to have one or new someone that had one!

Quote Originally Posted by rossobantam View Post
    Mine LOOKED nicer..like a proper trial bike..but it was SO slow....get in a headwind and it struggled past 30mph
    Same here. Had a Honda MT5, looked the part but only managed to get it up to 32mph. Before that had a Honda C50 sports moped which got 50mph out of it but that was down hill. Always wanted a MZS51 for the simple fact if you shortened the exhaust it would go faster.

i started off on lambrettas in 72 then progressed to motorbikes then now i still love scooters . i have had over 250 forms of bike s and scooters as they were cheap then my last being a yamaha rd400e which i haD ON THE ROAD 3 YEARS AGO

Only had the one Bike a honda c70 i remember my back tyre blowing out one saturday night and having to walk 14 miles home with it in the dark ,engine running letting the engine pull it as the roads were unlit for long stretches.Had no breakdown cover back then in 1984.On the same road on some other occasion i had 55mph+ out of it estimated as speedo was off dial.Walking took 4 hours.I think i used to be able to get 140 miles to a tank i wish i had one now well cheap to run.I think i paid 100 for the bike back then.The engines are indesructable but had issues with gear selectors on a couple of times.They did have a tendancy to rot though.Mine looked like this one in the advert.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	honda_c70_brochure1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	3046

c70 50 90 was a brilliant bike but hard to get hold of now and fetching good money

There used to be a good site on old bikes with many contributions from former owners.

The last time I checked the bookmark I saved didn't work.

In my teens one of my friends used to have a Jawa pedal to go 49cc moped, & later had 125cc & 250cc MZ's.

The hum of the 2 stroke engines they had was always an early indiction that he was about to arrive at my house.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by rossobantam View Post
    They all had Suzuki 'fizzies'
    Surely you mean Yamaha 'fizzies', as in FS1E. Like this one...

My brother had one just like it.