'Grandstand' or 'World of Sport'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Grandstand' or 'World of Sport'?

During the 60s, 70s and 80s, these two Saturday afternoon sports shows ruled the airwaves. The theme tunes of both are enough to bring back wonderful memories:

YouTube - BBC Grandstand Theme Tune

YouTube - Tv Theme World Of Sport

World of Sport's title sequence especially sticks in my mind. As does its wrestling coverage!

Which of the two rival shows did you prefer?

For my own part, I was rather torn. My father had been director of the building of London Weekend Television so World of Sport ought to have been my choice and, to be honest, I probably prefered it anyway. But when it came to Final Score and the teleprinter, it was Grandstand, so that I was all set for Doctor Who afterwards!

Re: 'Grandstand' or 'World of Sport'?

It has to be world of sport as it had a very diverse range of sports,I particularly enjoyed the wrestling as I used to love watching my Gran getting very animated watching it

Comment

The Grandstand theme is more evocative, to me, and while the ITV wrestling was a favourite in family in my youth, it was always back to the BBC for the teleprinter and results reading later in the afternoon.
      "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

For sports coverage in general ITV has always lagged behind the BBC and now the satellite stations. ITV just can't do sport well, that said World of Sport was good for Saint and Greavsie (I'm sure that started on there) and the wrestling which was essential viewing for me.

Overall though Grandstand was the superior program, and the vivi printer I (I think it was called) seemed great with its instant updates and full time scores coming in.
        The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

I should perhaps have added in my original post that whilst Grandstand went on until 2007, World of Sport ended in 1985. This may be the reason the latter holds more nostalgia for me.

There was also the almost poetic reading of the football league results. Len Martin was that unforgettable voice on Grandstand until his death in 1995, but I can't recall the guy who was most associated with World of Sport's results service.

Comment

Sportsnight

here's a 3rd option...my fav! SPORTSNIGHT

YouTube - Sportsnight 1982

My fav bit from the others was Cup Final day on WoS, when Eric Morecambe appeared
            sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

I have fond memories of my dad putting a bet on for me for 'The ITV Seven' horse racing some Saturdays and never even winning the first race!

I also loved the wrestling with Mick McManus, Giant Haystacks and Big Daddy.

The BBC Final Score was also definitely essential viewing.
              sigpic
              'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

World of sport for me,and my nan used to love watching big daddy

Comment

I used to like the ITV Wrestling, there was something strange but compelling about 2 or 4 (if it was a tag match) slightly too old blokes knocking each other senseless.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Always Grandstand, though looking back I don't know why, I suppose it's a bit like choosing Blue Peter over Magpie.

WOS was much more fun, the presenters were 'cooler', Dickie Davies, Brian Moore etc., they covered enjoyable sports like cycling and speedboat racing, plus the ITV 7 helped me tremendously with my arithmetic, working out sevenfold accumulators with prices like 8/13 and 4/7.

Comment

Let's weigh up the pros and cons.

Grandstand: Pros, Final score, Football Focus.
                      Cons, Rugby league, horse racing.

World of Sport: Pros, More diversity, all in wrestling with the likes of Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks and Kendo Nagasaki (before the yanks got their greasy paws on it and turned it into some kind of homoerotic dance off), Dickie Davies and his white streaked barnet, Brian Moore and his total lack of barnet, the little plane towing the banner at the start.
                      Cons, adverts.

Looks like World of Sport for me.

Incidentally, we once saw our mate's mum ringside on the wrestling threatening Jackie Pallo with her handbag - priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                        I should perhaps have added in my original post that whilst Grandstand went on until 2007, World of Sport ended in 1985. This may be the reason the latter holds more nostalgia for me.

There was also the almost poetic reading of the football league results. Len Martin was that unforgettable voice on Grandstand until his death in 1995, but I can't recall the guy who was most associated with World of Sport's results service.

preferred grandstand but never knew world of sport eended so long ago.
                        why did it end so soon as it was more diverse in terms of sports hence the name world of sport.
                        i think good old dickie davies hosted it.

there where 1 thousand and fifty episodes.
                        each episode was 4 and a half hours long.
                        it was originally presented by eamonn holmes.
                        Last edited by darren; 20-01-2012, 16:39.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

A bit more research.
                          world of sport ran from 2nd jan 1965 till 28thseptember 1985.
                          one of the reasons it stopped is because horse racing went to channel 4.

Comment

grandstand started 11th october 1958 and finished 28 th jan 2007.
                            it had various hosts.
                            peter sdimmock,steve rider,des lynham,frank bough.
                            there where more that 3000 episodes

Comment

I remember Saturday evenings, my dad in his grey work overalls drinking tea out of his big emanel mug..watching both these shows. I used to make shapes out of the foil in his ciggies boxes.....Doctor Who would be on later and I think the Pink Panther would be on too. Thanks Marine Boy for evoking these memories.

Comment

Working...
                              X