Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Events Stopped You in Your Tracks!

Default Re: What Events Stopped You in Your Tracks!

I think the first one was the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster. I was at a school that was next to an american air base and lots of the kids were from USA.

Then Hillsborough shocked us all in high school.

Princess diana..that one was odd. Because somehow it didnt seem real. Even though i was watching it on tv it wasnt going in my head (because princesses dont die, i know they do but you see where im going!)

Then the big one was 9/11. I was at work. Someone come in the office and i thought they were chatting s***. Rung me mum and she was in tears and then i was in tears. I felt awful for weeks after that. It can still bring me to tears that one.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

I remember coming home & the Challenger disaster being covered on TV most of the evening, I can't remember if CBBC was taken off air, or Newsround was extended to cover it.

A few months later Chernobyl disaster was a "What Happens Next?" event.

Other "having the radio on at the right time" moments I remember was the Oklahoma city bombing.

What events stoped me in my tracks?

Erm...none.
    Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

qyite a few left me stunned.

heysel in 84 european cup final
    liverpool juventus.

and of course hillsborough.

the stabbing of monica seles in germany when playing steffi graf.
    she was stabbed in the shoulder when she was sitting down as you do after each 2 games.

A girl riding a bike on Chickenley Lane.
    The occasional wall.
    The Falkland's war.
    The storming of the Iranian Embassy during the Snooker on TV.
    My Dad's death from MS(a world event to me).
    Challenger.
    Diana.
    Boxing Day Tsunami.
    and 9/11 (in Particular the 1st Tower collapse. The 2nd one seemed inevitable)

Jingbang Guest

9/11 i had just had my internet and was in a american chatroom messing about it was around 2pm on a Tuesday and someone said about a plane crashing into the twin towers, i didnt even know what the twin towers were till that day, so i thought ill jus put the news on and see if theres anything mentioned on there.
    I presumbed it was just a little cropdusting type plane that had hit a block of flats or something but when i saw the pics on the news i was totally shocked.
    The Diana one i was waiting for a Ferry about 4am in Dover and some random man came up and told me and i started laughing and sayin "yeah right whatever" i just thought he was some strange person who had drank a few and was talking nonsense then on the Ferry most people were on about it all the old women were quite sad and saying "ooh its a shame etc" while most of the men were like "oh well etc" and wernt really botherd.
    Im glad i was out that day because i remember hearing off everyone how rubbish TV was on that Sunday and loads of things were cancelled and it was just the same old news reports reported again and again.

9/11 stopped me in my tracks. The joker of our workplace came barging in and said that a plane had crashed into the twin towers. He was a right attention seeker and usually full of bull**** so I didn't believe him until everyone started crowding around the computer. I couldn't leave the work I was doing so it was ages before I realised it was true and saw it for myself. That night I felt really jittery and upset, wondering what the future of the world was going to be.

Two weeks later our boss, a really nice bloke, committed suicide by throwing himself infront of a train. It was completely out of the blue and had a huge impact on everyone. That really shook me up a hell of a lot.
    1976 Vintage

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post

Other "having the radio on at the right time" moments I remember was the Oklahoma city bombing.
    I turned the radio on one night last year to hear Richard Bacon and others in the middle of solemnly debating what was obviously some death of major importance. One contributor said :"and a career which was really set to take off again with the O2 concerts..." and my first thought was 'Britney Spears has died', basically cause she'd just finished a run at the O2 and, well, with all she's been through recently, you wouldn't be surprised.
    But then Bacon interjected "But there's such an amazing and important musical legacy!" and I realised it wasn't Britney Spears...

It was, of course, Michael Jackson.

I was seventeen and still at school when John Lennon died. I hadn't heard the news that morning, and when I came into the classroom, a bit late, the teacher and one of the kids were talking about it. At first I thought they were talking about something on the telly last night, so I asked flippantly, "What's this - did I miss something good last night?"

"No," said the teacher, "It's just that John Lennon was shot dead this morning."

I was so gobsmacked that I didn't know what to say. I just said, "Oh," as if I couldn't care less! That was a bit embarrassing.
    The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post
    I was seventeen and still at school when John Lennon died. I hadn't heard the news that morning, and when I came into the classroom, a bit late, the teacher and one of the kids were talking about it. At first I thought they were talking about something on the telly last night, so I asked flippantly, "What's this - did I miss something good last night?"

"No," said the teacher, "It's just that John Lennon was shot dead this morning."

I was so gobsmacked that I didn't know what to say. I just said, "Oh," as if I couldn't care less! That was a bit embarrassing.
    I must admit, I was just turned 11, and wasn't really that familiar with him, obviously I knew the Beatles, but knew far more about McCartney simply because he'd been in the charts all the way through the late 70s with Wings. John Lennon, to me at that time, was a bit like one of McCartney's 'backing group'. Obviously, the more I found out about the Beatles later on, I realised how important he was.

As for Elvis Presley, the only Elvis I'd actually heard of then (I was 7) was Elvis Costello, as I'd seen him on TV at some point (he must have just started to become famous), so I initially thought it was him who had died!