Clear All

Re: Words that have fallen out of use

Never heard of Chufty.How about "dingy,take a rubber ear!"

Anyone????

tulip

Comment

Originally posted by Secret lemonade drinker View Post
      I was at work a few weeks ago, and a colleague made my tea with sugar, even though he knows I never have it. In my best mock-anger, I called him a 'Deacon', and there was this superb 2-second silence where we both realised what I'd just said, and had a giggling fit that lasted for the best part of 30 minutes. See also: 'Joey'.

I'm not mocking Joey himself; it was a sad tale, but we all used to fling the insult around at school without even knowing what it meant, or where it came from. At least I never did at the time.

Anybody else remember the 'chufty badge'? Used to be a great way of negating anything that another person had or had done that was actually good. You'd say the phrase 'chutfy badge' in your most sarcastic tone, breathe on your clentched fist, and then polish your chest; as if cleaning the imaginary 'chufty badge'. It can't have only been a Devon thing? It got one lad in my class thrown out of the class, back then - our teacher's wife was going to have a baby, and he (perhaps mistakenly) told the class. The disruptive lad in question caustically bellowed 'Oh...big chufty, sir...', and did the action. He was out door before he could even finish cleaning his chufty...
      Yeah, chufty badge used to be used at school over here in Manchester in the late 80's or early 90's. The only difference though would be if someone spoke about something they did that they thought was good, we'd say 'What do you want, a chufty badge?'. We never did the clenched fist rubbing the badge thing. And if someone felt really happy about something they'd say they were 'well chuffed'.
      My Youtube retro & new video game reviews, glitches, and more,

Comment

Pshaw

Certainly not in these parts. Haven't heard it this century.

Comment

It was used a long time ago up here where I am (way way North)

"I'm dead chufties today"

This is definitely outmoded cos haven't heard it said since about 1974

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
            I was talking with friends recently about words we don't seem to use anymore. The conversation was sparked when I mentioned my stove. I've always tended to call the top of my cooker where the rings are, the 'stove' but have to admit, it does sound like an old fashioned word.

Then there's 'pushchair'. I still say it but most people say buggy these days.

And when did 'railway stations' become 'train stations'? I'm sure we didn't say the latter when I was a child. (This one really bugs me as I think 'train station' sounds a bit clumsy.)

Anyone got anymore?

(Apologies if there is an existing thread. I did a search and couldn't find one.)
            Why do we also only ever have sofas now, what happened to the good old settee?

Comment

Suppose it a scouse word but i never hear the word Keck's (trousers) used anymore.

Comment

I used to hear that a lot at secondary school, & it was amusing to find that biscuits are known as keks in Germany.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My dad ,(born in 1905 and died '93) always reffered to shoes as'boots' which drove me bonkers!Probably cos he came from the age where even owning a pair of 'boots' was considered up market!

Comment

Originally posted by The Low Country View Post
                    Why do we also only ever have sofas now, what happened to the good old settee?

people in my neck of the woods still call it a settee or more commonly a couch, I don't know anyone who calls it a sofa.
                    ...chilli...

Comment

My dad always called hazelnuts, cobnuts. I assumed he was using an old fashioned word. But I just found out that a cobnut is a specially cultivated variety of a hazelnut. You live and learn.

Comment

Scullery = Kitchen
                        got tons of words that I remember but don't use now
                        but thats probably because the area of scotland i come from our dialect is called Doric
                        now i ain't religious, but to give you all an idea here's the Lords Prayer in Doric

BTW I Can understand it but can you

Oor Faither, fa bides in hivven,

We’ll aye hae a gweed conceit o ye.

Yer croon winna be ill tae fit,

Sae yer wye o it maun be the wye o it,

Doon by, nae less nor the wye o it in hivven.

Gie us oor mait an a pucklie loaf the day, an ilka day.

An dinna haud it agin us nor we mak a cuddy o things,

Jist as we widna skelp fowk fa chunce their haun agin us.

An dinna scunner us wi wyes tae swick,

Bit ding doon ony o Aul Nick’s coorseness.

Michty me, bit ye’ve a haud o aathin,

Sae it’s michty you an aa,

An aat’s jist rare,

Ivnoo an fir ivvermair.

Fairly aat, min.
                        DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

when the phone rang in our house,people would silently shuffle over to it and answer.Now,they spring up,and say: '' I've Got It! ''.I think everyone's been influenced by films.... lol

Comment

My husband is 33 and he talks very old fashioned sometimes lol His parents and grandparents brought him up that way, sometimes I'm kinda like.....ummm....hun..what ya on about?? what does that mean??? lol (I'm 7 years younger then him by the way )

Comment

Some old fashioned words are just nicer/more descriptive, don't you think?

Eg 'courting' instead of dating, 'frock' instead of dress. My mum still listens to the 'wireless'.
                              "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

Yeah, I totally agree, love old talk lol

Comment

Working...
                                X