Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

Default Re: Xmas When You Were Growing Up

I loved Christmas in the 80's! Got some great presents! My best one was in 1986 when I got my 'Ghetto Blaster'! I thought I was the dogs things!! I hate bragging but I thought it was better than anyone else's My sisters boyfriend picked it out for my parents to buy and he was a breakdancer!! What more can I say! LOL
    Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Quote Originally Posted by sandie76 View Post
    Circling the programmes in the Radio & TV Times (yes we got them both, no idea why) that we didn't want to miss.
    Because right up to about 1990, the Radio Times would only tell you about BBC programmes and the TV Times would only print ITV! Presumably each side wouldn't tell the other about its schedules.

The Christmas double issues were the only editions of the magazines we would ever get, as for the rest of the year, page 3 of the Manchester Evening News told us everything we wanted to know. Anyways, the double issues were always packed with adverts for summer holidays. On the back, Butlins would usually have a cartoon featuring 'Toot and Ploot', green aliens sent from another planet to find out what earthling holidays were like. Later on there were Toot and Ploot TV ads as well.

The Radio Times was black and white printed on cheap 'newspaper' type paper, and the ink would come off on your hands. The TV Times was of far better quality paper, with glossy colour photos of the tv stars, I disctinctly remember cutting out pics of Terry and Arfur from Minder and Hayley from Metal Mickey and sticking them up in my bedroom when I was about 10, lol.

I used to deliver the Radio and TV times Christmas editions with a mate for extra money. We did it on a night. It was always really cold and just made you feel like Christmas was just round the corner! Fond memories.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
    I loved Christmas in the 80's! Got some great presents! My best one was in 1986 when I got my 'Ghetto Blaster'! I thought I was the dogs things!! I hate bragging but I thought it was better than anyone else's My sisters boyfriend picked it out for my parents to buy and he was a breakdancer!! What more can I say! LOL
    My Panasonic one was better, it had red and green lights along the front that lit up in time to the music. I mean, come on, you can't beat this example of 1983 high technology!

(Unless, of course, you had the same one!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	panasonic_rx-f32_small.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	3009

Thats a bobby dazzler!! Mine was a 'Sharp' one with a 'proper' graphic equaliser and 100w output! I loved it! It only stopped working about 5 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
    Thats a bobby dazzler!! Mine was a 'Sharp' one with a 'proper' graphic equaliser and 100w output! I loved it! It only stopped working about 5 years ago!
    Mine lasted up to 1992, which is pretty good considering that I used it virtually every day, several hours a day, over the course of nine years.

Things were made to last then!

The last couple of weeks before Christmas, I never saw my father, as he worked overtime at the local sorting office. Only finally seeing him on Christmas Eve. You always knew it was Christmas Eve, as my mother would get out some crisp white tea towels, and arrange them neatly, spread across the top of the highly waxed walnut sideboard, where she would carefully put wine glasses and small short glasses on one side of the towel, all upside down, so no dust could get in. The other side would be Bristols Cream Sherry, Gordons Gin, Teachers Whisky, Vodka, and an assortment of Babychams, Ponys and Snowballs. and to complete would be a bottle of Advocat. The fruit bowl would be overflowing with Tangerines, Apples, Grapes and Bananas, some years we even had Pomegranites. Also on the coffee table, there would be a box of dates and a box of figs. We would go to bed relatively early, after leaving a freshly ironed crisp pillow case on the mantlepiece. (We never had stockings and we never left anything in our bedroom) Think this was because I was terrified of waking up and seeing a strange white bearded figure in my room.

Me and my sister did the pillowcase thing! Never a stocking. Thought it was only us!

Hmm,let me think.

Making paper chains at school with the sticky paper.School christmas parties with kwenchy cups and ice cream and jelly.
    Salmon sandwiches at lunchtime on Christmas day.Getting tights in with the pressies from grandparents.A chocolate smokers set and strange mexican drum thing from my dad's mum,my dad getting a sweetie pig from her.A white christmas tree,making a poster for the christmas and new year "shows" we did,then doing the shows.Sitting on the extra green folding chairs my gran and grandpa had to bring.The extra present left out the back from "the fairies".My dad's mum eating to quickly and almost throwing up at the table.Doing the rounds of the relatives on New years eve,my dad's mum having a faint smell of whisky on her and her weird way of smoking"just for the novelty!"Going to gran and grandpas and getting ginger wine,despite my gran knowing I didn't like it.Going there on New Years day and getting extra pressies,their wee tree,making snowmen out of toilet roll tubes,cotton wool and meat trays,with my nice gran.Auntie Peggy's snorty laughing at Morecombe and Wise,grandpa doing his "wee man"silverside for dinner then clootie dumpling with money in it!!!Playing at shops later on in gran and grandpa's big hall cupboard and all the adults coming to buy stuff!!!!!

God!that brought it all back,brought a wee tear to my eye.There is probably more too.

tulip