Prayers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prayers

[QUOTE=Marine Boy;132069]Arr, Joybee. I love that.

Some time ago, I looked on the internet for this song/prayer, and I found:

We are all God's children here,
    This is what we say,
    Guard us through the coming night,
    And throughout the day.
    Amen.

But I've no idea whether we used your version, or mine, or a different one, or no second verse at all!

It's still a sweet memory.

MB

I sang yet another version of the second verse...

We are all thy children here,
    This is what we pray,
    Keep us when the dark is near,
    Until break of day
    Aaaaaa-men

Trickyvee
    1976 Vintage

Comment

we really just said the lords prayer every morning in assembly.
      pretty boring compared to these ones in this thread.

but then mine was a state school so i suppose thats got something to do with it.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
        we really just said the lords prayer every morning in assembly.
        pretty boring compared to these ones in this thread.

but then mine was a state school so i suppose thats got something to do with it.
        Mine was a state school too. The prayer I mentioned below was restricted to infant school. By junior school and beyond it was all Lord's Prayer.
        1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember this prayer from Primary school we all had to line up in the main hall boys in one line girls in the other and in unison we all sang this -

Thank you for the world so sweet,
          thank you for the food we eat,
          thank you for the birds that sing, (i always thought this line was "Thank you for the Birdseye seed"!)
          thank you lord for everything.

At the end of the day there was another prayer which i cant quite remember, we all had to put our chairs on the table and the teacher would say this prayer but the only lines i can remember are the last two which went something like this...

May Angels guard up while we sleep,
          Til morning light appears.

To which the whole class would shout Amen then make a mad dash for home... Happy Memories

Comment

i live in Scotland, and the primary school (1980s) i went to made us say prayers and sing stupid hymns every Wednesday morning at "Assembly", and it wasn't even a religious school.

Comment

Originally posted by Moondog View Post
              i live in Scotland, and the primary school (1980s) i went to made us say prayers and sing stupid hymns every Wednesday morning at "Assembly", and it wasn't even a religious school.
              yup, EVERY morning in our school, half hour assembly consisting of a couple of hymns, a prayer, a religious/morals story and any other business from the head teacher.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

I went to a CofE primary school and we had prayers and hymns at every assembly. We had those red hymn books called 'Come and praise'. We also had an Irish vicar that would come in every other week and tell stories(with a moral theme) and play us songs on his accordion. We used to love that!

Comment

A blue book was mentioned earlier in the thread. I remember being in class 3 and having a pink and green hymn book. When I went up a year into class 5 (I skipped a year in school), the same book was given except it was blue and green. I'm wondering if these were possibly a nationwide thing? I can't remember much more of it other than that, I never really liked singing hymns or anything like that. These books were doing the rounds in the 80's and early 90's.

Comment

We only said one prayer in school, Our Father Who Art in Heaven. We sang hymns, but didn't have hymnbooks, instead we had the words projected onto a screen with an overhead projector.

Comment

Overhead projector ? What sci-fi witchcraft is this ? We had a kind of huge venitian blind type contraption with about 100 hymns printed on it and it took the staff ages to find each one, often ending with us only seeing the lyrics for the end of the song as the 'blind' was stuck again.

Comment

At my primary school we had an overhead projector, sometimes the teacher would point along with a pencil so we would stay in time.

It was sometimes hard to read as often the words were written in fancy handwriting on the plastic sheeting.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My primary school was generally non religious, but with Christian values. Kind of.
                          We also had the blue "Come & Praise" books, with the kid with the basin haircut on the front.
                          In later years the overhead projector made it's appearance, again, usually with indecipherable handwriting.
                          We always had a lovely teacher on a piano accompanying us.
                          As far as prayers go, I remember having to say one during every morning's assembly.
                          I also seem to remember prayers at a Catholic youth club I joined when I was about 11 or 12.

Comment

Working...
                          X