Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Films worth watching just for the scenery

Default Films worth watching just for the scenery

I've recently confessed in the worst TV sit-com ever thread that I've just watched "Holiday on the buses" but it wasn't the fact that I thought it was a classic British comedy.
    The most interesting thing in the film is that it has a number of on location scenes that act as a record of Britain at that time. One of the highlights for me was a scene in which a Triumph Spitfire drives through the camera shot (as I have a Spitfire myself).

This set me thinking, do you have a favorite film that you think encapsulates fond memories of a British yesteryear, or just gets you shouting things like "Look, there's hardly any cars on the motorway at all".

I think another film that shows these kind of things is Clockwise with John Cleese.

Default Re: Films worth watching just for the scenery

Clockwise is a favourite of mine also.I love the areas they walked through dressed as monks,all those fields and lanes.such a beautiful place.I think,that was in the Nottingham area,but i am unsure.

Get Carter is very good for the turn of the 1970s exterior scenes, as well as being an edge of the seat thriller.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Holiday On The Buses was primarily shot at Pontins at Prestatyn, a camp I went to, as a kid, around that time so it always brings back memories For just the feel of the times and the scenery, Children's Film Foundation stuff is always great.

I've got to agree with 'Clockwise' - one of my favourite films. I think the phone box scenes were filmed in Much Wenlock, Shropshire. I'm particularly interested in the cars, as I'm a big fan of '70s and '80s cars, and there's plenty to see there - what with the 1100 playing a pivotal role, and Mrs. Stimson's Cortina. I particularly like the taxi driver's black Mk1 Granada we see briefly when he drops Brian off at his house.

'Babylon' (1980) is a great movie for it's depiction of South London from that era. Very evocative.

What about KES from 1970 .. grim especially the pits

I really get the idea of this thread.
    There's something poignant and bitter-sweet about a moment captured in celluliod that was then now and is now then.
    The big productions - especially American - don't do it. It was the cheapo British films and TV shows, where they had to use real locations.
    I havn't posted because the only example I can think of is Gregory's girl?(or Scum-maybe not!)
    But I just think of the tv show "Nightingales" with Robert Linsey and David Threlfall - about security guards. The intro was a shot of an office block at dusk with cars going by. I wonder who was in those cars, where they were going, what they were thinking about and where they are now.

The film of The Likely Lads has plenty of nice exterior shots, epecially the holiday sequences.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Gregorys Girl was filned in Cumbernauld a new town about 20 miles from Glasgow

A classic that from the off reminds you (a) of every school trip you went on (b) how times have really changed from the 80s and (c) non political correctness.