80s summer holiday morning tv!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 80s summer holiday morning tv!

Many of the children's programmes from the 1970s, were repeated in the 1980s, at least the early '80s.

White Horses, this seemed to be repeated a number of times.
    Why Don't You? Never thought much of this programme.
    Anybody remember The Boy from Lapland? It was a dubbed programme, possibly made in Norway or Sweden.
    Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

I well remember morning screenings of Bilko in the summer holidays, along with the Flash Gordon serials. Perversely, the BBC also used to show Bilko very late at night.

Akin to Champion, the Wonder Horse was Whirlybirds, a series about a couple of men who hire out their helicopter and get into adventures. In the 70s but possibly shown into the 80s was The Aeronauts, a French live-action series about two French Air Force pilots and their--I think--Mirage III fighter. It had a stonking title song and even spawned a Christmas annual. The Lost Islands was an Australian production in which five children are shipwrecked on a mysterious, uncharted island, on which the descendents of survivors of an 18th century shipwreck still live, ruled over by a tyrannical leader.

Comment

One other that I remember is Mr. Piper. Not sure if this was shown in the 80s but definitely 70s. It was a Canadian show with Alan Croffot dressed as a pied piper-type character and he wore a hat with a flower in it. He would introduce 4 segments in the show. There was a segment in which a short travelogue of distant places would be shown. Another was a short animated story that Crofoot would narrate. Also, Crofoot would do some magic tricks. Finally, there was a story with farmyard animals, the only ones I remember being Kookie the kitten and Bessie the bunny. The only episode I can clearly remember is one where there was a ghost in Mr. Piper's house that would open windows and run past him, and it terrified me. I liked the show but each time it came on I would be hoping it wouldn't be the one with the ghost.

Comment

There was Ox Tales and Vicky the Viking on ITV, but that was circa 1990.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
            I well remember morning screenings of Bilko in the summer holidays, along with the Flash Gordon serials. Perversely, the BBC also used to show Bilko very late at night.
            Late night repeats of Bilko was something I was only talking about last night actually, when the sad news of Garry Shandling's death was announced. For quite a bit in the mid to late 90s, BBC2 would screen The Larry Sanders Show, Seinfeld, and Bilko in the graveyard slot around midnight before closedown and Ceefax. I don't think the beeb have shown Bilko since then, I remember watching the last ep of Bilko back in the late 90s, which saw him finally get caught out and out behind bars. First and only time I'd seen it.
            ​https://www.change.org/p/the-bbc-repeat-your-treasure-trove-of-single-drama-such-as-play-for-today-and-screen-one-on-bbc4-now

Comment

Sad to hear of Garry Shandling's passing. I remember watching his shows and enjoying them.

Mmmmmm...don't think I have ever seen the Bilko episode where he ends up in jail. Phil Silvers was born to play Bilko...perfect casting.

Another show that I think was shown during summer holidays was Car 54, where are You? This would have been made around the same time as Bilko.

I seem to also remember that the Laural and Hardy shorts were shown sometimes during summer holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                Sad to hear of Garry Shandling's passing. I remember watching his shows and enjoying them.

Mmmmmm...don't think I have ever seen the Bilko episode where he ends up in jail. Phil Silvers was born to play Bilko...perfect casting.

Another show that I think was shown during summer holidays was Car 54, where are You? This would have been made around the same time as Bilko.

I seem to also remember that the Laural and Hardy shorts were shown sometimes during summer holidays.
                It's the very last episode. The Col is seen on the phone I think finally getting the base into gear whilst over his shoulder we see Bilko clutching at the bars looking disgruntled.

Yeah L+H, The Munsters, Car 54, The Addams Family, The Three Stooges, Abbott and Costello, they never show any of those now
                ​https://www.change.org/p/the-bbc-repeat-your-treasure-trove-of-single-drama-such-as-play-for-today-and-screen-one-on-bbc4-now

Comment

Add the earlier seasons of Get Smart to that list I remember Channel 4 showed it every weekday holiday morning in 1992 & on Saturday lunchtimes in the Autumn.

Me & my sister really got into it.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Markxist, it's a shame that children are denied watching shows like those you mentioned due to their absence from mainstream TV. I look at the schedules for the big 5 terrestrial broadcasters and they are crammed with cheap reality shows of one kind or another. That Bilko episode where he ends up behind bars just doesn't ring a bell, so I probably didn't see it.

Richard, I do remember C4 showing Get Smart. I think they also screened The Lucy Show in the mornings and possibly at other times.

Comment

I remember Get Smart at weekday teatimes on Channel 4. 4 used to do a lot of that at one point; The Munsters and My Two Dads used to be on around the same time I think.

They used to roll out films on a morning too, like Dr Who and the Daleks, Dalek Invasion of Earth, The Water Babies, The Little Convict aka Toby and the Koala - which won't ever get shown now thanks to the behaviour of its star Rolf Harris coming to light

Comment

The Dr Who films turn up every now & again, and The Water Babies seems to be on the Bank Holiday Special list, but some way down.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Tea time mid 80s on C4 The Gong show, a summer replacement for Countdown, this is the craziest show ever, the host looks drunk or high on something, to see what i mean go to youtube i promise you'll be hooked, the show had censor issues and was taken off-air but not before the host Chuck Barris ended his last show singing the song "take this job and shove it"
                          Sort of "x factor" with "bleeps" and "oops" to cover the more extreme moments, really ott, be sure to catch the stagehand who became a regular feature "Gene gene the dancing machine" controversial stuff never repeated.
                          Hint...checkout the act "lollipop twins" aired on the U.S. east coast, axed on the west coast. you'll see why!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                            The Dr Who films turn up every now & again, and The Water Babies seems to be on the Bank Holiday Special list, but some way down.
                            Ahhh Water Babies. I remember watching it the first time when I was about 4 years old and being completely mesmerised. I still love it now.

Comment

OMG THE WATER BABIES NOT THOUGHT OF THAT IN A VERY LONG TIME.

https://youtu.be/4b30qcViYFw
                              Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Tarzan lord of the jungle was a cartoon on in the summer holidays...cheggars plays pop aired in the mornings too during the holidays I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X