Lost in Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost in Space

Sunday afternoons when it was raining could be quite a boring time for kids in the 1980's, lots of black and white films. Booorrrriiinnngg!However, there was one series that was routinely played - Lost in Space! It was a kind of version of Swiss Family Robinson in space. A family struggling to survive on an alien planet without help.They had an AMAZING robot, who looks hilarious from our 20th century point of view. All wobbly arms and big glass head. Very funny. He was always making pronouncements about danger and problems - He had a habit of shouting "Danger! Will Robinson! Danger! Will Robinson!" at least once an episode. It's become famous trigger word for the show.The show was originally made in the 1960's but played regularly in the UK right up until 1988, and they even made a film of it in 1998 with Joey from Friends in it (Matt LeBlanc). I thoroughly recommend looking it up on you tube, it is truly funny and even still has a good sense of drama to it. Being the 1960's they had no notion of what life in space would be like, but they could still tell a story!

More...

Re: Lost in Space

Yes I can remember running home from School to watch it in the 60's.....
    "Robbie the Robot" started out in the film "The Forbidden Planet" starring the recently deceased Leslie Neilson.....
    I remember Robbie waving his arms about and shouting "Alien approaching"
    Cheers
    Sgt S

Comment

This is a show that I never liked but it always seemed to be on in the background on a Sunday. I can't remember anything about it apart from the old Dr bloke. I don't think I ever actually sat down and watched an episode.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

One of my friends got into it in the late 1980s, & sometime he show me an episode on video.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I loved this show as a child but when I got the entire series on DVD, I realised the standard of the stories varied enormously. At its best, it was great sci-fi.

Originally posted by Sgt Sunshine View Post
          ..."Robbie the Robot" started out in the film "The Forbidden Planet"..........Robbie waving his arms about and shouting "Alien approaching"
          I'm gonna get all fan-ish now. Robbie, from Forbidden Planet, was only in (I think) two Lost in Space episodes. The LiS robot was a different design and was just called, err, ...'Robot'. But he was famous for flailing his arms around and shouting all sort of things. I think 'Danger Will Robinson' was favourite.

Comment

fantastic show this was.
            something i never missed on a sunday.
            here is a clip of it.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHQTYq20_-E

how long did it run for episode wise.
            each episode i think was an hour if u include ads.
            Last edited by darren; 31-01-2011, 03:37.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Robbie the Robot and LiS 'Robot'

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post

Robbie the Robot and LiS 'Robot'
                Thanks for the correction Marine Boy.......They do look quite different.....But I love them both.....and the prog of course...
                Cheers
                Sgt S

Comment

I remember one episode when the robot was singing 'I was strolling in the park one day in the merry, merry month of....Danger! Danger!' Funny what sticks in your head!

I really hated the slimy Dr Zachary Smith and Penny Robinson was played by Angela Cartwright who played Brigitta in The Sound Of Music.
                  sigpic
                  'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

the fella who played zachary smith was perfect for the role.
                    he just looked facially perfect.
                    he had the look of a real devious type.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

There was some fan thing where they did a cgi of the robbisons returning to earth in Lost in space..i remember it on the internet .I think it was an offical fan thing or something like it.
                      sigpic

Comment

Land Of The Giants was another similar series shown in the 70s. I thought the effects on this prog were superior to Lost In Space.
                        sigpic
                        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Here comes that theme tune we all remember.....

Great growing up in the 60's with real Moon landings etc....
                          Cheers
                          Sgt S

Comment

Yes, I remember watching it with my brother in the late 60s. And there were the monsters as well - in nearly every episode some monster would come along and attack them. The first episode was shown on television not long ago.
                            The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Sunshine View Post
                              Here comes that theme tune we all remember.....
                              Thanks for that lovely reminder of a great theme. It was used for seasons one and two but changed for season three. I think, on balance, I prefer the latter one. Alas, I've not managed to find an upload of it on YT.

Comment

Working...
                              X