This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mail order Catalogues

Surely I'm not alone in always wanting to be the first to read the new Kays,Littlewood,etc catalogue when it was delivered in the 70's??
    straight to the toy section (always dissapointed with the summer edition).
    being a retrohead,I often wondered If anyone still had any old copies of these,but the search proved fruitless till the advent of EBay.
    although some of these can cost an arm and a leg now,you can pick up the odd scanned versions on Cd.I got a couple of these recently..good memories...CB radios,huge VCR's,Video 2000!! early home PC's and of course toys galore.
    though now, at my age its just as much fun looking at the appalling fashions and homewear we use to have. we must have furnished our entire house via Kays!!!

The Seventies..truly the decade taste forgot!

Oh yes now you're cooking on gas mark six, loved the toy section, used to pick out which i wanted, but rarely got, dare I say too, sheepishly used to flick thorught o the ladies underwear sections, well i was only young, all i can offer in my defence.

Comment

Another thing I've noticed/forgrotten was that you could buy shotguns on the Kays catalogue!!
      oh and a younger Vikki Michelle and a teenaged Nick kamen are models in an early eighties copy I have

Comment

The one we used to look forward to was the Benson and Hedges catalogue. Mom used to collect the coupons from her ciggy packs and save them up for Xmas. We would have fun poring over the catalogue trying to see just what we could get.... but rarely did.
        sigpic
        Mrs Oggy
        ~~~*~~~*~~~
        Count your friends amongst the stars....
        And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

add to that Green Shield stamps!! that was a long long time ago!!

Comment

Grren Sheild Stamps.... a duelling insult!

Originally posted by Daz
            add to that Green Shield stamps!! that was a long long time ago!!
            As a qualified nurse who spent three years as a lowly student nurse...... we learned very early on that to call another qualified a Green Shield Stamper was a duelling offence. This came about during the war years when the need for qualified nurses was paramount and therefore the practise of crediting long service for nursing assistants with the post of enrolled nurse was commenced. So a Green Sheild Stamper..... was not really a trained nurse!

And of course it was a long time ago........I am almost 40 you know!
            sigpic
            Mrs Oggy
            ~~~*~~~*~~~
            Count your friends amongst the stars....
            And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

Green Shield stamps, omg yes remember them and like a treat going to the showroom to redeam the prizes, if we had enough, and the CO-OP ended up doing a very similiar thing too, and the petrol garages, freebies, and stuff to collect everywhere. My grandad Ernie collected Esso and Shell stuff for me, my dad got me the 1966 footie team, well small plastic busts, and a medal collection too.

Comment

Re: Mail order catalogues

Hi again Daz,
                Just browsing through some older threads and came across this one. I was in retail (Woolworth, Zodiac Toys) from 1961 till the late 80s and then I ran a couple of filling station franchises for Shell and Mobil (later BP), so I was always interested in catalogues and merchandise of all types.

I used to send to the States for store catalogues and at one time had a large collection of catalogues from Sears, J C Penny, Marshall Field, Altman, Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman etc. I sold most of them on eBay a few years ago ... Doh!! The only ones I have left are a 680 page Sears Wish book 1979, a J C Penny Anniversary Sale catalogue (100 pages) and a J C Penny 1980 Xmas catalogue (580 pages). They are crammed with exciting stuff. Let me know if there's anything you want me to look up.

I also had Argos and Green Shield Stamp catalogues (and wait for it - Yes - I threw them away) I've just been in my loft 'cos I thought I had a couple left, but I can't find them.

More to tell on this and related catalogues .... later.
                Everything passes and vanishes, everything leaves its trace,
                Often you see in a footstep, what you could not see in a face.

Comment

Found ..... after another search .... ARGOS cat.no. 8 Autumn 1977. Can scan and post pics if anyone is interested.

Comment

Did you ever wear one of these monsters ??? From the 1977 Argos catalogue.

Comment

Wow!
                      Love to see some of the toy sections of the Argos '77.
                      Sadly some of the ones I have are summer editions so don't feature that many toys:cry:
                      There is a great site for american "wishbooks" here
                      http://www.wishbookweb.com/

Its just been updated but I warn you, it takes ages to load

Comment

Cool been a few weeks since I'd looked at wishbook.
                        Heather

Comment

Great website at Wishbooks, and they had the '79 Sears catalogue that I've got. I got mine from a very kind lady who used to work for me, who used to visit her daughter in the States. I asked her if she could bring me back any catalogues she could find/carry. She brought me a Sears and a Penny two years running, '79 and '80.

Comment

ARGOS 1977 Autumn .... surprisingly only 20 pages of toys; here are the first four pages.

Comment

Any girls toys??

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X