Popswop magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popswop magazine

I wonder if anyone else used to get a copy of the now long defunct Popswop magazine on a regular basis? You'd probably have to be knocking on a bit to remember it but it was quite a good read with pictures and articles on artists of the time from Donny Osmond to Slade. It also used to review films that were out on release, Death Line being one that sticks in my mind. Being only ten or eleven at the time there was no chance of actually seeing that particular movie at the pictures, although I'm happy to say there is a copy in my DVD rack in 2021. I think there was a dating page at the back, "suedehead chick would like to meet skinhead lads with similar interests" would probably have been a fairly typical example. I'm sure you didn't get that kind of content in Look-in magazine

I used to get it

Comment

I used to get it now and again. It was borderline girls mag during the Donny Osmond years. My parents eventually let me have it delivered every week. It then merged with Record Mirror which often happened back then when they decided to stop publishing mags and comics. I often see old Popswops I used to have going for silly money on E Bay. Would be great if someone scanned a load to pdf discs. I'd certainly have a nostalgic look if they were available

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy View Post
        I used to get it now and again. It was borderline girls mag during the Donny Osmond years. My parents eventually let me have it delivered every week. It then merged with Record Mirror which often happened back then when they decided to stop publishing mags and comics. I often see old Popswops I used to have going for silly money on E Bay. Would be great if someone scanned a load to pdf discs. I'd certainly have a nostalgic look if they were available
        I'm glad you mentioned the Record Mirror. I like to think that I'm blessed with a good memory, not always the case. My dad used to go for a stroll on a Sunday morning to the newsagents, sod all else open in those days! I'd usually get my copy of Cor! and Whizzer and Chips. I'd sometimes get a Record Mirror too. There were adverts on the back few pages selling Afghan coats, stars and stripes clogs and Rupert t shirts. I begged and pleaded to be kitted out! My mum quite rightly told me that they were too expensive, not suitable for school and weren't availalable in my size anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by W1 Rover View Post

I'm glad you mentioned the Record Mirror. I like to think that I'm blessed with a good memory, not always the case. My dad used to go for a stroll on a Sunday morning to the newsagents, sod all else open in those days! I'd usually get my copy of Cor! and Whizzer and Chips. I'd sometimes get a Record Mirror too. There were adverts on the back few pages selling Afghan coats, stars and stripes clogs and Rupert t shirts. I begged and pleaded to be kitted out! My mum quite rightly told me that they were too expensive, not suitable for school and weren't availalable in my size anyway.
          I remember both Cor and Whizzer. Can't recall any characters at all from Cor. Whizzer had Sid's snake on page 1 and Chips had Shiner, the boy who always ended up with a black eye? Record Mirror was newspaper size for years. So you never spotted those rude posters for sale in the ads section then? It became my music bible for years until it folded. JH's disco page was amazing. But this is a Popswop thread?
          Can you remember a character called Glen who had a column? Dunno what he was supposed to be. Maybe a safe male character for the teen girls to look to? This was the 70s so God knows! He did release a single but it died a death without threatening the charts. Strangely, he didn't get kept on when it merged with RM

Comment

Working...
          X